<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Need help on a decision - Mare Nostrum 5218-301/A vs PAM716.

August 10 2017 at 7:21 PM

ziad  (Login ziad993)
Paneristi
from IP address 194.169.217.159

Its been a while since i posted much... however, panelist.com is a daily net destination.
I have a question need your opinion on.
Would you buy, if you had a chance, a Mare Nostrum Pre-vendome 5218-301/A or a new mare nostrum PAM716.
The watches are almost the same, same case and movement. the luminova is a bit different, but other than that, bezel and face and case are the same.
The Pre-V sells for about 40% more, assuming the pam 716 is a RSP. What do you think.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
DON
(Login DONAG)
Paneristi

Buy the new as the old may drop even further in value >>

August 10 2017, 7:58 PM 

I've notice the values of older models drop once Panerai introduces similar looking watches.

Years ago. If you wanted a PVD model. You had to buy an older one which drove the prices up. Panerai seeing this. Decides to produce PVD/DLC models again to get in on the action.

Of course people no longer have to buy the older models and prices fell

Same for a number of other older Panerai models.

Lowest price on a older Mare was $13,000. Others asking around $15,000

Once the new ones are more widely available. No real reason to buy the older models unless it's the tritium dial you feel add's the extra cost to the watch.

DON
3333.JPG

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login mlcdmd)
Paneristi

good point

August 10 2017, 8:26 PM 

have you seen it even out in the end or do the older (originals) still command a little more after the new one has been out a while.

or have people taken a big hit and the older has become cheaper - or worth less - than the new?

wish there were charts and graphs for this stuff!!
Mike...NYC. My collection so far is a 312 and some cool straps.

Respond to this message   
DON
(Login DONAG)
Paneristi

Can't really say, but some in demand are not really anymore >>

August 10 2017, 8:52 PM 

Customer tried selling his older Pam 40 which at one time was commanding $26,000, but his failed to sell off a major dealers site or meet reserve at auction.

Mint 9B models. Saw one sell for $20K. Now I haven't paid much attention

Bear in mind that a number who own the older ones bought when prices were low

My two models (9B and base logo) cost the same as the last retail price of a base screw back logo, so even with lower values. Early members who bought paid much lower prices as there wasn't the same attention as there is now.

Ones who got hurt are the ones who jumped in late and paid the higher prices of models Panerai release a copy of

DON
3333.JPG

Respond to this message   
Bret Marcus
(Login Bretmarcus7026)
Paneristi

MARE NOSTRUM

August 10 2017, 9:55 PM 

I own the original model, which I bought at least 15 years ago. A bit annoyed Panerai is re-issuing a virtually identical watch -- though I'm glad they're coming out with a Mare that's not 40K. I would go for the original -- depending upon the condition and the price. For me, part of collecting Panerai is the watch's history, especially with the old Mares because so few were made. Either way, it's a wonderful piece. You can't go wrong either way. Bret

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login mlcdmd)
Paneristi

original?

August 10 2017, 8:01 PM 

i feel like the allure of the old school is tough to beat but i hear and read so much about fraud/franken pieces that i personally wouldn't be able to authenticate.

if its from someone you can trust and can get a good history of the piece, go for it.

but then there's the reliability of the new and the lack of fear it's fake.

the romantic in me says original, the realist new.

either way can't miss they're stunners!!

Respond to this message   

Hammer
(Login ThunderDownUnder)
High Heid Yin

For me anyway I go for the 5218-301/A if priced well - just imho (nt)

August 10 2017, 10:06 PM 

From my "Heart of Hearts", for any Help, Support or Simply "Spreading" the WORD ..........

!!!!!!!! Thank You So MUCH !!!!!!!!

http://hammer.swda.org.au/

happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LEND A HAND ANYWAY YOU CAN happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

"If I can encourage one person with a disability to be active and live well, and if I can tell them about a product or service that will help them achieve that, then thats a great day for me".

So much MORE than just a Watch wink.gif

What Watch ,, it's the M8TES behind my brand that I LOVE ,, the Watch is just the GPS wink.gifwink.gif

A decade on ,, I COPY it now ,, More than EVER b4 >> it's a PANERAI behind every Panerai is a PANERISTI happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

And dat , SIMPLY blows me away ,, U Bet....................... BBQ Drew RIP wink.gif
[linked image][linked image] Feel the Passion ,, Respect the DNA ,, Cheers Beers ,,, Hoo Roo Hammer happy.gifsad.gif
Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Respond to this message   
CF
(Login stronzix)
Paneristi

+ 1 with Mr. Australia ;)

August 10 2017, 10:09 PM 

the original is the original happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login mlcdmd)
Paneristi

If you'd have recommended the new one, I'd have quit this place

August 11 2017, 1:50 AM 

Love your old school passion

Respond to this message   
CF
(Login stronzix)
Paneristi

Two-edged sword question, if you asked me....

August 10 2017, 10:08 PM 

Why?

Don's got a good point. However, the question you have to ask yourself is: Do you want a "re-edition", or do you want a Pre-V? If the sentimental value of the old is not a deal breaker, buy the new. However, if you are looking for a true original, then, I would say, the the will never matter to you wink.gif

Personally, I know where to get a real nice "as new" 5218-301/A that, looks like a new 716, the only difference? The old is the original, the new is just a remake to appease the masses.

My $0.2! Good luck, I am sure you will make the right choice.

Best,
--CF

Respond to this message   

Kevin O'Dell
(Login kevin5)

I agree with Hammer for sure, can't beat an original but

August 11 2017, 1:55 AM 

the 716 poses a great value and the set comes with a cool ship display. Panerai did a great job with it but it's still a reproduction essentially. I think the 716 being 1000 pieces will likely drop in value more so than the original since the original has already come down from its high as all the Panerai's have. However a newer watch will be easier to service and find cosmetic parts if need be. All things to consider so I wish you the best of luck it's really a head scratcher this one. You'll win either way IMO since the Mare is so cool.

On another note I would've really liked to see Panerai just shrink the Pam 300 with the stepped sandwich dial and flat bezel down to 42mm instead of copying the original.

Respond to this message   
Al
(Login Nebbiolo)
Paneristi

shrunken 300

August 11 2017, 2:16 AM 

Completely agree with KOD's call. The PAM 300 is the coolest Mare, in my opinion. Love that stepped dial and since the face is already busy, the clean bezel calms it down. Just never understood 52mm... That makes what could have been a dream watch for a lot of Risti's, an afterthought.

Just my $0.02.

Respond to this message   

Kevin O'Dell
(Login kevin5)

Well the 52mm made perfect sense as it was an homage to the original prototype....

August 11 2017, 2:42 AM 

but a shrunken version would've been nice. I heard a rumor from within Panerai a couple years ago about a 45mm version however that person no longer works for the company so who knows.

Respond to this message   

Hammer
(Login ThunderDownUnder)
High Heid Yin

Exactly KOD - the 300 is more a collectable than a daily wearer - a king 👑 in my >>

August 12 2017, 2:24 AM 

Collection - albeit I've never worn it out of bed - with my girly wrists I couldn't pull it off ♿️🤦🏻‍♂️

But to behold is a thing of bueaty ⭐️

The 42 Mare's are so SPECIAL - the design elements and rehualts are a golden rule dream for me those u wear with pride 🏁 And a HUGE 😄

From my "Heart of Hearts", for any Help, Support or Simply "Spreading" the WORD ..........

!!!!!!!! Thank You So MUCH !!!!!!!!

http://hammer.swda.org.au/

happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LEND A HAND ANYWAY YOU CAN happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

"If I can encourage one person with a disability to be active and live well, and if I can tell them about a product or service that will help them achieve that, then thats a great day for me".

So much MORE than just a Watch wink.gif

What Watch ,, it's the M8TES behind my brand that I LOVE ,, the Watch is just the GPS wink.gifwink.gif

A decade on ,, I COPY it now ,, More than EVER b4 >> it's a PANERAI behind every Panerai is a PANERISTI happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

And dat , SIMPLY blows me away ,, U Bet....................... BBQ Drew RIP wink.gif
[linked image][linked image] Feel the Passion ,, Respect the DNA ,, Cheers Beers ,,, Hoo Roo Hammer happy.gifsad.gif
Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Respond to this message   
JohnCoburn
(Login JohnCoburn)
Paneristi

For me....

August 11 2017, 2:24 AM 

Original always wins out although they did a great job with the reproduction...

Respond to this message   

ziad
(Login ziad993)
Paneristi

Re: Need help on a decision - Mare Nostrum 5218-301/A vs PAM716.

August 11 2017, 9:35 AM 

Thank you all for your opinions. I tend to agree with you all that stated stick to original.
Since I started collecting Panerai, in 1998, I never sold a piece so far. I tried but honestly, never gotten more than what i paid for, unless I want to get rid of the bronzos/bluzo i have.
I want to but the watch to wear it often and replace my DDS, which I would still wear from t2t.
i wonder if the emotional value of the "original" is just in my mind...as on my rest, i can't tell the different .
That would be similar to my 26k and 26b. no one can tell the difference, unless you flip the watches and look at the case number.

decisions, decisions, decision....

Respond to this message   
Maxxx
(Login maxxxchong)
Paneristi

Proud owner of the 716

August 11 2017, 10:30 AM 

I just got mine a few days back. The reason is straightforward for me. Availability and cost. If i can i would surely prefer a mint original. But getting one is not easy and of course the price. So the 716 is obvious for me. Like you said, they are almost identical and it has a big *** cool box set.

I wouldn't be too happy if i have the original and they launch this. But I'm thankful they decide to "remake" this for the first time in twenty years so a motal like me can have a chance to have one of the most unique Panerai.

Will post pics once I figure it out...

Respond to this message   

ziad
(Login ziad993)
Paneristi

Re: Proud owner of the 716

August 11 2017, 11:35 AM 

Great pix and agree with your comments. I think it wears very nice on the hand. Wear it in good health.

Respond to this message   
Maxxx
(Login maxxxchong)
Paneristi

My 716

August 11 2017, 10:39 AM 

Respond to this message   

dp
(Login fullcourt1)
Paneristi

....very nice max

August 11 2017, 12:56 PM