<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Pam24Q quick release button

August 29 2017 at 1:25 AM
BobbyM  (Login BobbyNYC)
from IP address 98.116.119.2

Good evening everyone, I've been a member here for quite a while but haven't posted in many years. I have a Pam24 Q series that I purchased second hand recently. It has the quick release push button system for the straps. Tonight while changing out a strap the little retainer ring popped out during the strap change. The warranty card is dated 7/13/2015 which is past the two year mark.

I plan on heading to the boutique tomorrow and see what they say about fixing this issue. I've searched on the forum already and some say they had the same issue and panerai said that the watch needs to be decades. I'm hoping this can be a easy fix.

Anyone have anymore insight?

Many thanks!
Bobby
BobbyM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Ferry
(Login ferry.monne)
Paneristi

I hope you can make a strong case

August 29 2017, 11:06 AM 

Sorry to hear you have a problem with your PAM24!

I did read before that incase the quake release button is coming out the case needs to be replaced, I do not want to scare you be assured.

I look forward to your update after your visit to the Boutique.

Best regards,
Ferry

Dutchman living in India and moving soon back to NL, Panerista since 2014 and learning
PAM389 and PAM372 and a bunch of straps

www.paneristi.nl

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Adeeos
(Login Adeeos)
Paneristi

More than likely they'll want to replace the entire case...

August 29 2017, 3:33 PM 

If you have all the parts, the round retaining ring, take it to a jeweler with a laser welder,, they and press the retaining ring abck into it's recess, and add a couple of TINY little tack welds with a laser, to retain it... problem solved,,,
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Paul
(Login paulee53)

I hate to hear about this

August 29 2017, 4:09 PM 

as I also own a Pam 24. Mine is a slightly newer S version and so far I have had no trouble with strap changes although I always get a bit nervous when I do them. Every time I hear about one of the buttons popping out it always seems to result in a whole new case being required. I look forward to hearing how you get on. Good luck

Respond to this message   
JohnCoburn
(Login JohnCoburn)
Paneristi

This is crazy....

August 29 2017, 4:26 PM 

I can't believe there is no way to fix this without replacing the case. If true, and I have heard this before, so I assume it is, then what a terrible design flaw.

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login mlcdmd)
Paneristi

Along those lines

August 29 2017, 6:28 PM 

Assuming the case is cast, milled, conjured, whatever out of one solid piece and that the quick release has to be inserted or mounted inside the first time...how is out not possible to replace this?

Couldn't it just be re inserted like it was day one?

Or is op really worried that if they repair the owner could then have a failure causing breakage or loss of watch and then the mother ship would be responsible to replace?

Typing this with full on paranoia staring down at my 312 with that system as well.

Mike...NYC. My collection so far is a 312 and some cool straps.

Respond to this message   
DON
(Login DONAG)
Paneristi

Rather than come up with a solution. Panerai will insist on case replacement >>

August 29 2017, 7:42 PM 

That is if it can't be repaired.

They could have come up with a screw in design. It's deep enough that the outer ring could have been raised with a slot to screw in and remove the whole unit.

I'm sure it can be drilled out and then use a CCW screw removal tool to grip and pull out

But hey.

Why go to all that trouble when it's so much easier to say "You need a new case"

Obviously. The problem isn't wide spread enough to redesign it and most of the time they blame the customer anyways so be prepared for that one.

Worst comes to worst. You use extra thick spring bars

Good luck

DON
3333.JPG

Respond to this message   
Bobby
(Login BobbyNYC)

*UPDATE*

August 30 2017, 12:19 AM 

I didn't get a chance to head over to the boutique today since I got tied up at work. I did however spend some time on the watch. I was able to reset the entire spring,button and retention ring into the opening in the lug. I got them into place and used some vise grip pliers to squeeze them into place. The vise grips were plastic coated and I used a thin piece of hardwood I had laying around. Not one mark was left on the case and lugs.

As of right now I have the watched strapped onto my wrist in the house and it feels pretty solid like it was before. Let's see how this holds up in the next few days.

Bobby
BobbyM

Respond to this message   

dp
(Login fullcourt1)
Paneristi

fingers crossed

August 30 2017, 5:09 AM 

ufPDgnB.gif
V2YsosI.jpg
09sBsY9.jpg?3

dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
'more than just a watch'....

Respond to this message   

Ferry
(Login ferry.monne)
Paneristi

I really hope that solves it for you! nt

August 30 2017, 7:02 AM 

Best regards,
Ferry

Dutchman living in India and moving soon back to NL, Panerista since 2014 and learning
PAM389 and PAM372 and a bunch of straps

www.paneristi.nl

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Paul
(Login paulee53)

I really hope it works

August 30 2017, 10:45 AM 

and it will be interesting to see what happens when you come to change the strap again. Good luck

Respond to this message   
BobbyM
(Login BobbyNYC)

We'll see how it holds up

August 30 2017, 1:20 PM 

We'll see what happens. Hopefully it holds up. I just find it ludicrous that panerai knows of the issue and rather than chalking it up to a design flaw, they take the easy way out and say a case replacement is needed. A case replacement is half the face value of the watch.
BobbyM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index