<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Pam 531

October 29 2017 at 11:30 PM
Chase  (Login Pravda2.0)
from IP address 71.58.19.10

Hey guys, i had many Pams (8-10) back in the day but had to sell them due to the financial bubble bursting back in the early 2000’s. I’m still holding on to some. (Pam24, Pam 112, Pam 176, Pam 113 and my Holy Grail, Pam 93).

Too make a long story short , one of my Pams that i had to give up was one of my dad’s favorites, Pam88. My dad had a cool saying about the GMT ability to tell 2 different times and it stuck. Now that he has been gone for sometime I’ve been and i’ve been going through something and being a very sentiental guy, id like to get a GMT back.

What do you guys think of the PAM531? I know its very close to the PAM88 (which is spot on), but i also like the simplicity of the PAM 321 dial.

Help me out guys when possible.
Any owners of either models here? What do you guys think?

Very grateful for your responses and input.

Best,
Chase

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
DON
(Login DONAG)
Paneristi

88 based off the Valoux 7750 movement >>

October 30 2017, 12:27 AM 

so can probably be worked on by any qualified watchmaker. Not sure on the GMT function , but most likely a couple of extra gears. Not a module.

The 531 is an inhouse movement which means there's no other place to repair except Panerai

If you like the older 88. Look around for one is nice condition

DON
3333.JPG

Respond to this message   

Rapers
(Login rapers)
Paneristi

How about the 89?

October 30 2017, 11:00 AM 

It looks as though there's no shortage of pre-owned 88s on sale out there, but you might also consider the 89. Titanium case, anthracite dial, and black sub-seconds dial which IMHO is marginally preferable to the silver sub-seconds dial of the 88. Both 88 and 89 also have hour and minute hands the same width - again IMHO the minute hand thinner than the hour hand looks unbalanced.
Happy hunting!

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Darron
(Login Angelus8day)
Paneristi

IF GMT is on your mind; got to think of the 233

October 30 2017, 2:41 PM 

I know you mentioned the 321; so maybe consider the 233. Check out the 233 dot version. Classic modern panerai GMT. I can go on and on about the 233; but I have in so many previous posts LOL. Good luck. I like 89 for the the 24 hour style GMT; but the 12 hour GMT style is executed perfectly in the 233 with home/dot function. Also there is pm/am feature if you want newer 233 version. Also there is auto version 270 but I forget the newer version of the 270 since they discontinued.

Respond to this message   
jr
(Login jrdiandrea)
Paneristi

My first PAM was the 321

October 30 2017, 6:58 PM 

and i immediately followed that up with a few others. I love the 321 and remains in my rotation. Great piece. I've had it for about 18 months and have had no issues with it. I purchased the steel bracelet for it (PAM 347 was the version sold with bracelet) and that's how I most often wear it, with bracelet.

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login mlcdmd)
Paneristi

Thought we lost you!

October 30 2017, 9:34 PM 

Been a while, hope all is well.
Mike...NYC. My collection so far is a 312 and some cool straps.

Respond to this message   
JR
(Login jrdiandrea)
Paneristi

Still Around!

October 31 2017, 1:25 PM 

Hi, Mike! I need to figure out this new Imagur thing....will work on this week to get back in the game!!

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login mlcdmd)
Paneristi

I'm having the most luck with the mobile site

October 31 2017, 1:59 PM 

Pull it up on your phone

Select upload photo (it'll tell you the app is faster, better, etc...it's not... At least for our purposes)

Then click the photo

Drop down menu on the right gives different link options

Select direct link

Copy and paste to your post

Add the letter "l" before the .jpg file extension and that will resize it.

Mike...NYC. My collection so far is a 312 and some cool straps.

Respond to this message   
JR
(Login jrdiandrea)
Paneristi

Thx Mike

October 31 2017, 4:38 PM 

I'll give it a whirl later today or tomorrow....

Respond to this message   
Chase
(Login Pravda2.0)

Kinda disappointed.......

October 31 2017, 3:43 AM 

Appreciate all that responded, now i definitely have more choices.

From the responses seems like not much love for the 531.

I stopped by to check one out in the flesh and noticed it didn’t come with the plastic warranty card nor the COSC certificate.
Called Officine Panerai and they confirmed that this model does not come with a plastic warranty card and none of the Panerai manufactured movements are are COSC certified. Bummer.

Strange most of my older Pams ( 88, 24, 91 and 93 all came with COSC and they all came with the plastic Panerai Warranty stamped card, did something change?

Also, (swear this is not a rant), but no deployment buckle with a watch in this price tag?
What happened Panerai???

Respond to this message   

Gary
(Login gfriedell)
High Heid Yin

Panerai does not use the warranty card for it's in-house movements >>

November 1 2017, 3:31 PM 

It may not use them at all anymore. Not a quality issue, just a change in the way they do their paperwork.

As far as the COSC certificate, with the new movements Panerai does not COSC certify their movements any longer. Instead they have their own in-house QC procedures. While some may feel that it's preferable to have an independent agency testing the performance of movements, the COSC procedure has some definite flaws. Chief among them is that it tests movements and not completed watches. Many of the finest watch brands do not use COSC because their in-house standards are more stringent than the COSC requirements.

Respond to this message   
Chase
(Login Pravda2.0)

Thanks for the reply

November 4 2017, 12:17 PM 

Guess I’m living in the past gotta let that go
I do believe it seems more unbiased to deal with an independent COSC agency but it is what it is

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index