<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

How much do you pay for straps?

November 6 2017 at 7:08 PM
Sy  (Login Syrecx)
from IP address 203.171.249.11

Been searching online a lot on this and found leather straps that ranges from $30 to $350. These prices are for aftermarket straps.

Question is how much did you pay for your straps? I know the prices may reflect on the quality but some cheaper straps seems really well made. Saw a few that was around the $60 range and they seem like a bargain. Though they are only pictures I’m not sure wheather the material are actually comfortable to wear on a daily basis.

My question to you are;

1. Have you bought any straps for around the $50 range and whether it was actually comfortable to wear.
2. For those whom have bought straps in the higher range, do you think it was worth the difference if getting a cheaper version strap?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Rapers
(Login rapers)
Paneristi

Happy to give you an answer.......

November 6 2017, 7:19 PM 

if you'll drop me an email, please.

simples@gmail.com

Respond to this message   

Andy
(Login Ayer)
Paneristi

I spend my money on watches

November 6 2017, 7:30 PM 

and I'm notoriously cheap when it comes to straps, if it's got three digits before the decimal point it isn't for me! I've used one maker predominantly over the past few years although I won't disclose who or else I'll be run out of town by the schilling posse. He's made me some very nice straps for roughly £60-70 each. I've also some nylon velcro B&R style generic straps that were cheap as chips off eBay, they look great as well as being very practical either at the beach or neck deep in freezing mud. I can't say I've ever encountered an uncomfortable strap.

Respond to this message   

mike2zero
(Login mike2zero)
Paneristi

speaking in generalities

November 6 2017, 9:16 PM 

I spend around $100-200 on a strap..but haven't bought one in ages.

I have a $350 strap that is worth every penny, and one for $90 that gets the most wrist time...its about what you like.

I am actually gravitating to OEM now, about 10 years into the madness...but I would have to say...of the makers that I like...$150-$175 is the sweet spot.

Hope that helps...I can give you specifics if you email me (clink the link above)

~Mike
mike2zero
Portland, Oregon
HMIeAkUl.jpg

Respond to this message   

Ross
(Login RossRoss1)
Paneristi

Would you put cheap tires on a Ferrari?

November 7 2017, 12:47 AM 

Then why a cheap strap on an expensive watch? The few straps I own have been dirk straps and the quality is superb. As my grandfather used to say “I'm not rich enough to buy cheap things.”

Respond to this message   

Micah
(Login micah372)
Paneristi

Love that saying!

November 7 2017, 2:49 AM 

It took many years, but I finally learned that exact truth about tools.

You can buy the cheap one first then buy the nice one later, or save yourself some money and just buy the nice one to start out with happy.gif

facebook.png instagram.png twitter.png tumblr.png flickr.png pinterest.png googleplus.png

Respond to this message   
DON
(Login DONAG)
Paneristi

Also an old saying "A poor workman blames his tools" >>

November 7 2017, 3:37 AM 

I use inexpensive tools and have never damaged anything I work on because I know what I'm doing.

Even in the hands of a poor workman. High quality tools will not help.

Same as a poor golfer buying expensive clubs will not improve his game

Just saying

DON
3333.JPG

Respond to this message   

Micah
(Login micah372)
Paneristi

Naturally.

November 7 2017, 2:27 PM 

Skill matters more than anything else.

And with skill comes the understanding of the limitations cheap tools can put on your work. The right tool for the right job in the right hands will generally provide a superior result and open up options otherwise not known.

facebook.png instagram.png twitter.png tumblr.png flickr.png pinterest.png googleplus.png

Respond to this message   
DON
(Login DONAG)
Paneristi

Still don't get why people seem to think that price has to do with quality >>

November 7 2017, 3:47 AM 

Is a $60 strap made with Horween leather going to be poorer than one that sells for $150.00?

People were paying a seller $200 for straps that the seller stated on his site he got for an old leather chair found in the trash.

What was the quality of that leather? People based the quality on the price and not the leather

Here's an email I got from a customer

"Are you still in the strap business? I hope so...last one was good for almost 7 years of use"

That was a $30.00 strap he bought

Price has nothing to do with quality when it comes to most leather straps. It has to do with quality workmanship
and construction.

Even a supposed quality strap can be poorly constructed

18 years and only 12 straps returned for repair or replacement

How many car of the year awards has Ferrari won compared to Toyota or Honda?

If you want to use your analogy. The Japanese cars are poor quality and cheap compared to the Ferrari, but I can bet those cars will spend more time on the road and less in the shop than the Ferrari

DON
3333.JPG

Respond to this message   

Gary
(Login gfriedell)
High Heid Yin

But how much fun will you get from driving the Ferrari vs. the Toyota or Honda >>>

November 7 2017, 5:05 AM 

Or pride of ownership?

Some cultures honor affluence, some admire thriftiness.

Cheap vs. Expensive, there's no right or wrong or absolutes. If cost is a primary consideration then the argument is ridiculous because a $25 quartz watch will tell the time as well as a $5000 Panerai so why would you waste your money?

We all have a different algorithm for what we prefer. There are really great cheap straps and horrible expensive straps. But, to some extent, most people typically expect there to be some correlation between price and value (quality, rarity, style, etc).

It's no different than clothing.

I wouldn't wear this jacket if you paid me, yet Steiny bought 2 of them @ $1085 each. One to rock and one to stock. wink.gif

ucgeUXS.jpg

This message has been edited by gfriedell from IP address 73.65.86.161 on Nov 7, 2017 5:08 AM

Respond to this message   

eric s.
(Login hkgweilo)
High Heid Yin

Gaz...leave me out of your dreams... ;-)

November 7 2017, 5:22 AM 

I’m just holding those jackets to flip to some millenials so I can buy more expensive straps!

This message has been edited by hkgweilo from IP address 61.200.20.122 on Nov 7, 2017 5:23 AM

Respond to this message   

JZ365
(Login JZ365)
Paneristi

lol [nt]

November 7 2017, 10:48 PM 

[linked image][linked image][linked image][linked image]

Respond to this message   

Hammered
(Login ThunderDownUnder)
High Heid Yin

OMG Steinmiester your street creed has landed with Covac’s >>>

November 10 2017, 12:35 AM 

In the bin bloody god awful - just ask him Bombers are the only way ♿️🤛🏻🤗😝

From my "Heart of Hearts", for any Help, Support or Simply "Spreading" the WORD ..........

!!!!!!!! Thank You So MUCH !!!!!!!!

http://hammer.swda.org.au/

happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LEND A HAND ANYWAY YOU CAN happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

"If I can encourage one person with a disability to be active and live well, and if I can tell them about a product or service that will help them achieve that, then thats a great day for me".

So much MORE than just a Watch wink.gif

What Watch ,, it's the M8TES behind my brand that I LOVE ,, the Watch is just the GPS wink.gifwink.gif

A decade on ,, I COPY it now ,, More than EVER b4 >> it's a PANERAI behind every Panerai is a PANERISTI happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

And dat , SIMPLY blows me away ,, U Bet....................... BBQ Drew RIP wink.gif
[linked image][linked image] Feel the Passion ,, Respect the DNA ,, Cheers Beers ,,, Hoo Roo Hammer happy.gifsad.gif
Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Respond to this message   
DON
(Login DONAG)
Paneristi

Kind of moot as 99.99% will never own nor drive a Ferrari. >>

November 7 2017, 12:30 PM 

And when I put on a leather strap. Fun is not the first thought that comes to mind.

Fact is. I just get so tired of these foolish strap discussions.

Will wait now for the usual "You get what you pay for" member to jump in

DON
3333.JPG

Respond to this message   
JohnCoburn
(Login JohnCoburn)
Paneristi

I always like how...

November 7 2017, 3:02 PM 

you speak your mind Don! Yours was the first aftermarket straps I ever bought back sometime in 2002 or so. Bank then it was only you and Dirk. I guess everything was simpler back in the day.

Respond to this message   

Hammer
(Login ThunderDownUnder)
High Heid Yin

Plus 1 JOHN we sure loved those early years hey @ gr8 memories M8 (nt)

November 10 2017, 2:17 AM 

From my "Heart of Hearts", for any Help, Support or Simply "Spreading" the WORD ..........

!!!!!!!! Thank You So MUCH !!!!!!!!

http://hammer.swda.org.au/

happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LEND A HAND ANYWAY YOU CAN happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

"If I can encourage one person with a disability to be active and live well, and if I can tell them about a product or service that will help them achieve that, then thats a great day for me".

So much MORE than just a Watch wink.gif

What Watch ,, it's the M8TES behind my brand that I LOVE ,, the Watch is just the GPS wink.gifwink.gif

A decade on ,, I COPY it now ,, More than EVER b4 >> it's a PANERAI behind every Panerai is a PANERISTI happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

And dat , SIMPLY blows me away ,, U Bet....................... BBQ Drew RIP wink.gif
[linked image][linked image] Feel the Passion ,, Respect the DNA ,, Cheers Beers ,,, Hoo Roo Hammer happy.gifsad.gif
Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Respond to this message   
JohnCoburn
(Login JohnCoburn)
Paneristi

I always like how...

November 7 2017, 3:03 PM 

you speak your mind Don! Yours was the first aftermarket strap I ever bought back sometime in 2002 or so. Best bank for the buck! Bank then it was only you and Dirk, who are really the only non gem straps I wear these day. I guess everything was simpler back in the day.

Respond to this message   

JoshK
(Login philmickfan)
Paneristi

uh...

November 7 2017, 8:29 PM 

Here's an email I got from a customer

"Are you still in the strap business? I hope so...last one was good for almost 7 years of use"

That was a $30.00 strap he bought

Nice shill...er...advertisement...bahahahaha

Just teasing ya! happy.gifhappy.gif

Respond to this message   
AFalco
(Login AFalco)
Paneristi

kkkkk

November 7 2017, 10:26 PM 

An interesting shill from the "anti-shill-queen"

Tough times we are

Respond to this message   
DON
(Login DONAG)
Paneristi

What am I shilling? >>

November 8 2017, 12:03 AM 

The fact I sell straps? I think after 16 years it's a known fact.

No images, strap names posted. Just a fact that a $30.00 strap lasted 7 years to counter cost vs. quality posts.

Funny comment from someone that has 3 posts on this front page of the forum. None of which contribute anything to the forum.

DON
3333.JPG

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index