Please feel free to visit www.ACHA.com for up to date stats and standings

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Alexander Leaving MSU

September 12 2008 at 2:58 PM
No score for this post
Anonymous  (no login)

Anyone know the story here? One could question the timing but if it is for personal reasons don't want to be critical.

"It is with great regret that the Ice Bears announce the resignation of Missouri State Hockey Club Head Coach Benjamin Alexander. Coach Alexander had been with the organization since its inception in 2001, serving as Assistant Coach for one season before taking over as Head Coach for the past six seasons. Coach AlexanderÂ’s many on-ice achievements include two straight MACHA Gold Division tournament championships, the MACHA Gold Division 07/08 regular season championship, and three straight berths in the ACHA Central Region playoffs. He has made many vital contributions both on and off the ice, and his key role in the growth and success of the organization will be greatly missed. With the highest degree of admiration and respect for his total dedication and outstanding leadership, the Ice Bears staff, coaches, and players wish Benjamin the best of luck in his future endeavors. Assistant Coach Don Carlson will act as Interim Head Coach until a successor is named."

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Alexander Leaving MSU

No score for this post
September 12 2008, 3:52 PM 

Say what you want critics from their White team but this is a HUGE loss for the MACHA on the league administrative end of things. Benjamin will be missed by many.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 12 2008, 4:17 PM 

I have no knowledge about his leaving and I could be 100% wrong about this but I believe when hurricane Katrina hit Ben was in New Orleans constantly for his job. It appears the Ike will also be a monster of a storm hitting a major metropolitan area. Just wonder if he knew his time was going to be pulled in too many directions.

Seven years is a really long-time to volunteer for anything, especially something that takes up the amount of time that this level of hockey does. At some point you have to put family first. Good luck to him.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 12 2008, 4:49 PM 

he read these boards and couldn't take the criticism.

I kid.

Good luck to Ben wherever he ends up.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 12 2008, 4:55 PM 

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 12 2008, 6:12 PM 

I have to believe his work and the hours needed were a large part of this decision. Whatever, the case, thanks Benjamin, for all you've done for MSU, the hockey players, and MACHA.

When people look back at this, regardless of the reasons, you did us all proud. Yes, there were disagreements, but if 2 people always agree, one of them is unnecessary.

Good luck!

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 12 2008, 6:16 PM 

Here's your answer

Benjamin Alexander, the longest tenured coach of the Missouri State Ice Bears hockey organization, resigned as head coach Thursday. Assistant coach Don Carlson will take over as interim coach.

The announcement was made during a players meeting at Mediacom Ice Park.

"We all were shell-shocked when Benjamin told us," said Ice Bears General Manager Stan Melton. "He said the travel time and commitment to being the best coach he could be was considerably affected by his outside work responsibilities."

Alexander had been with the organization since its inception in 2001. He served as Assistant Coach for one season before taking over the top job for the past six seasons.
In the past three seasons since WebSports Radio has covered the team, Alexander posted a 63-36-5 record and lead the Ice Bears to two straight Mid-American Collegiate Hockey Association (MACHA) Gold Division tournament championships, the MACHA Gold Division 07/08 regular season championship, and three straight berths in the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA) Central Region playoffs. Missouri State was ranked 9th during the 05/06 season, 8th in 06/07, and 4th during the 07/08 season.

Last year's team captain Dan Odenwald (20 G, 20 A) goaltender Michael Brown, (12-4-0, 2.88 GA, 3 SO) both recent Missouri State graduates, will join Carlson on the ice during practices, and behind the bench on road trips.

Thanks to Alexander's leadership, Missouri State is now considered a significant college hockey program in the Midwest. The team has progressed from a small club team with a few friends and ice rink staff watching, to several (1,100 seat) sell-outs in the past three seasons and high caliber player recruitment for the Ice Bears hockey program.

"He has made many vital contributions both on and off the ice, and his key role in the growth and success of the organization will be greatly missed," said Assistant General Manager Curt Bussen.

Coach Alexander's legacy is not finished.

The 2008-2009 season schedule he has put together, in my estimation, is of the most challenging ever. Not only will the Ice Bears open the season on the road against D1 powerhouse Iowa State on September 26th, the the team will travel to the ACHA D2 Showcase in Hershey, Pennsylvania and face the 2008 D2 National Champion Davenport University Panthers; the Sienna University Saints (ranked #1 in the Northeast region in 07/08); and the Vermont University Catamounts, regionally ranked 13th in the Northeast in 07/08.

It's now up the players to finish what Alexander had in mind for Missouri State, and what previous teams have been working toward for the past few years - a trip to the ACHA D2 National Finals.

"I knew eventually something like this could happen," said Melton. He referred to the ending of an unusually long term by Alexander, a coach who was not paid by the organization.

"I'm just happy we've had 6 great seasons under Benjamin's leadership."

CKich30
(Login CKich30-SIUE-)
Moderators

Big losses behind the bench

No score for this post
September 12 2008, 6:44 PM 

Ben is a class act, his presence will surely be missed behind the bench.

A lot of history is lost behind the benches this year; Kevin Harter from Iowa, Larry Thatcher from SIUE, and now Ben are all no longer behind the pine.

This year begins a new era for many clubs...best of luck to all.

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Big losses behind the bench

No score for this post
September 12 2008, 7:37 PM 

Perhaps we'll see what kind of difference a coach has on how a team plays? Who's going to coach for free at MSU?

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 13 2008, 10:36 AM 

"This message has been edited by CKich30-SIUE- on Sep 13, 2008 6:58 AM"

Kich - I have to disagree with your heavy wielding of the censorship button. The post you removed was factual and informative. It made no personal attacks on Ben or anyone else, just put some understanding to his very poorly timed exit from the program.

I appreciate your volunteering to keep the board clean and positive but I have a problem with what I deem to be unfair censorship.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 13 2008, 11:29 AM 

So any dissent is edited out?

It appears free speech is not a right on this forum, or perhaps, speech without facts to back it up is not free. Kind of like yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 13 2008, 1:03 PM 

Well your reply hits to the heart of the matter. There wasn't any dissent nor was the accuracy of anything in the post questioned. Interesting that information about a pivotal event is edited out but the editor labels the subject classy? I don't have a problem with those that think Ben was a class act but censoring out an event that was anything but classy is wrong.

Much of what has been written about on this forum (and denied by loyalists) directly led to and culminated in his leaving. Yes the recognition for the countless hours of his time that he volunteered is certainly warranted and there is no denying that he should get a lot of credit for the positive evolution of the program. But to edit out comments that support much of what has been written about the "two teams" approach that Ben desired is a mistake. I think a complete airing of this would be healthy for prospective players and parents to read.

Ben's got big shoulders I'm sure if he cares to read this board (doubtful) he can take it and he is surely welcome to respond if he thinks he is being treated unfairly.

CKich30
(Login CKich30-SIUE-)
Moderators

No score for this post
September 13 2008, 1:59 PM 

I have recieved emails from coaches within the organization telling me that the reply in question was completely false.

Posts which state someone's opinion, good or bad, I dont have a problem with. Posts stating the truth about an organization, whether good or bad, has room on this board. I'll even allow some good-natured trash talk. But, when a post claims to be factual, but isn't, and is only an attempt to cause turmoil within an organization, that's when it gets censored.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 13 2008, 2:28 PM 

Kich,

Non factual events need to be edited. If people don't like it, then they should post these non facts with their true identity. Then you can contact them to confirm or deny the source of their facts. If you look at the forum hockey101 they also delete heresay and false information. If you don't like that something with no proof is deleted, get over it.

Note: proof is not saying "i know for a fact this or that happened"

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 13 2008, 3:39 PM 

Saying someone (also anonymously) said it isn't true also doesn't make it untrue. The reason why posters have to remain anonymous from the player/parent side is fairly obvious. Why the club would prefer to remain anonymous when they allege something is paramount to an outright lie doesn't make sense. Perhaps they just want this all to go away and I guess that's what's going to happen.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 13 2008, 2:35 PM 

I know for a fact that the event mentioned in the post was absolutely true. It came from players that were involved in trying to make peace in the aftermath. So if your going to address a post and make assertions that the post was untrue and was created to cause turmoil, (which is by the way absolute non-sense) then post the facts. (By the way I think Ben quitting after picking his team and just a couple of weeks away from games did create turmoil.)

So unless these club representatives/coaches asked you not to name them (hmmm) how about stating what coaches/club representatives e-mailed you and please post exactly what they said wasn't true? There is absolutely no doubt that what was posted and removed was fundamentally accurate. Now if Ben and others are stating that this event wasn't what led to him leaving then I can't dispute that because I wasn't their when the decision was made for him to leave. But I know for a fact that the event that was posted and deleted did in fact create a significant amount of "turmoil" in the organization last week and it would seem logical was instrumental in him leaving the organization.

I think it would be really easy for this to get resolved. It would only take a club representative to address this issue with a post. They are obviously reading this board.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 13 2008, 2:59 PM 

Any word on a new coach?

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 13 2008, 4:52 PM 

"Truth?, you can't handle the truth"

Name the actor and movie.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 13 2008, 8:43 PM 

A Few Good Men, the always entertaining Jack, however we will be reprimanded because these posts have nothing to do with hockey in the Midwest.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 13 2008, 9:04 PM 

Go ahead, make my day

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 13 2008, 10:32 PM 

That second team at MSU has the biggest group of whiners. You would think if you wanted the man gone and he is gone you would be happy. Obviously NOTHING will make you people happy. Get over yourselves.

If you needed to be in the loop you wouldn't be on some message board to get your info.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 14 2008, 7:48 AM 

Actually it was a failed attempt at putting people like you into the loop. I've known what we were dealing with for longer then apparently anyone in the organization. It just took longer to play itself out than I imagined. I know it's impossible for you to comprehend but the vast majority of comments made on this board have addressed what is right for the organization, not what is right for Gold vs. Silver. That's your spin.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 14 2008, 9:21 AM 

Correct! A few good men with Jack Nicholson.
Please come to the information desk for your prize.
Should I make the torphy plaque out to "A. Nonymous?

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 14 2008, 11:29 AM 

How about this. Thank Ben for getting the program to where it is. Don't look back and move forward. No more of this "it's about time" or any other negativity.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 14 2008, 11:54 AM 

Good accomplishments. Too bad it never ended in MSU getting through to the National Tournament.

Good luck Ben...

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 15 2008, 9:26 PM 

Guess we'll see how the players react to this - I don't ever remember going to a game and seeing the coach on the ice. You think they'll quit taking stupid penalties under a new coach? I wonder if the team selection would have been different given a different coach. Anyone know if the team will undergo any roster changes as a result of this?

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 15 2008, 10:55 PM 

Of course team selections may have been different but what's done is done now so, guess that MSU players have to live with it. It was odd that a well respected coach would let the entire recruiting season and summer go by then quit just two weeks before a season. Were there other reasons? I mean a coach that cared about the program probably would have stepped down much earlier in order for the team to make their own decisions with regard to a new coach and well before tryouts so that coach could make his selections. Just seems strange.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 16 2008, 5:31 AM 

Situations are hard to predict, as are hurricanes. Much of Coach Alexander's outside work was centered in the Lousiana area due to Katrina. Now, just a week a go another huricane strikes and he has two disasters to handle. You try to coach a team, run pratices, and administrate sucessfully when you are flying and driving all over the place for your work....not to mention take time for your family.

He probably tried to make everything work out and should be commended, not ridiculed. There is nothing strange going on here, no conspiracy. It just became apparent that something had to give.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 16 2008, 7:30 AM 

4:31 poster...great points.

Let's see, since he can't predict the future as far as hurricanes go it would be hard to have stepped down due to this two months ago.

Something has to give....

1. Family
2. Work
3. MSU Hockey program

Oh yes, tough call even if it is unfortunate timing. No one else knows exactly what they would do until they are in that same situation. You can say what you would do, it is easy to do such a thing when you aren't there. It all changes when you are in that exact place.

Family first....always.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 16 2008, 4:07 PM 

Yep... seems like it with what the coach does for a living it may not have been a good fit in the first place. Sometimes love of building a program can cloud one's vision. I'm sure his family and co-workers are glad that he's focused on what really counts.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 17 2008, 12:14 AM 

To all the critics of Ben, take your comments somewhere else. I'm not with the MSU program but from the outside looking in, he took a program from nothing, to a fantastic D2 team with a reputation of being an organized class act.

The Silver club was not run by him or coached by him which is why it is a mess. Name a good second program from any school? Don't blame him for the Silver team's mess. He was a volunteer. Do you think a volunteer who put in a ton of work could give a hoot about the second team? No and why would he? His program was a success. Don't knock him for a second team in which he didn't have that much to do with.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 17 2008, 7:39 AM 

See that's where you're wrong. A good university level coach would and should recognize the efforts of a second team and try to assist them and develop players were possible. But if not interested in development, explain his approach to the players and at a minimum help them get their 2nd team to the ice with good coaches and appropriate tools to represent the university. That's what a head coach of a university program should do.

Anonymous
(no login)

A mess?????

No score for this post
September 17 2008, 8:40 AM 

"The Silver club was not run by him or coached by him which is why it is a mess. Name a good second program from any school? Don't blame him for the Silver team's mess. He was a volunteer. Do you think a volunteer who put in a ton of work could give a hoot about the second team? No and why would he? His program was a success. Don't knock him for a second team in which he didn't have that much to do with."

A mess? Are you serious. You said you weren't from within the MSU organization are you from this planet. The silver team had a great year in 07/08. Came within an overtime goal of winning the MACHA silver tournament. A mess?
They are actually a great team because they have players that should be playing at the gold level but don't because of Ben. A mess? Beat several teams with only one team in their organization. They beat every team at lest once in the silver division. A mess? I never saw a player get kicked out of a game, (may have happened but I saw a lot of their games and I never saw the fights and scrums that are so common with other teams.) A very disciplined and sucessfull team yes. A mess, no, I believe that you are the mess.

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: A mess?????

No score for this post
September 17 2008, 10:38 AM 

This topic has been answered in the September 16 2008, 4:31 PM post. Let's move on.

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: A mess?????

No score for this post
September 17 2008, 11:27 AM 

Agreed...

He is gone and you are still bitching. Move on, get over it, deal with it. Go to counseling to help with your inner struggles, whatever you need. But on here, come on, enough is enough.

Current Topic - Alexander Leaving MSU
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
This forum has been created with the purpose to constructively discuss college club hockey. We encourage you to freely discuss any topic you wish, with the caveat that you keep the discourse within the bounds of good taste. While good natured trash-talking is fun, thought provoking and acceptable, any replies that turn personal, disrespectful and/or disruptive of the intent of this forum will be deleted by the moderators of this forum. Our intent is to build up and promote college club hockey and its teams. We need to work together and support each other to make this happen. We already have enough critics of club hockey. Let's do our best to keep things amiable on this forum, as not to give them any ammunition. Best of luck to ALL teams! Regards, Jpower79