Please feel free to visit www.ACHA.com for up to date stats and standings

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

What a Cluster!

November 15 2008 at 8:09 AM
No score for this post
Anonymous  (no login)

Looks like there's a real "log jam" developing in MACHA Gold below the number one team Iowa down to the cellar dweller Robert Morris-Spring. So whose the team(s) that will separate themselves from the mess?

MSU
Illinois State
EIU
NIU
SLU
SIUE
Mizzou
Kansas

Will MSU and Mizzou wake up and be consistent? After a later start on their schedule then the rest of the MACHA teams will SIUE be a factor? Will a ex-D1 team, SLU be able to walk through the pack? Can Kansas put together a run? Will Illinois State, EIU and NIU prove to do more then "hang" and actually keep things interesting?

Lets hear the recaps, predictions and little white lies.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

CKich30
(Login CKich30-SIUE-)
Moderators

Re: What a Cluster!

No score for this post
November 15 2008, 1:09 PM 

Definitely a lot of parity in the league this year. Unfortunately for SLU, no matter how well they do, they are ineligible for MACHA playoffs.

Anonymous
(no login)

Can we get rid of this naked gay guy please?

No score for this post
November 15 2008, 5:06 PM 

It's killing me. Please, lose the gay boy ad.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
November 16 2008, 8:08 AM 

Good point, forgot that they are a "newbie" back in the leauge. They really count on a handful of guys to do the scoring. And wow, that goaltending is suspect. Even in this weekend's wins against SIUE I think the guy faced like 36 shots total and allowed 7 for just over a 80% Save Pertentage. That ain't so hot. Is their other goalie any better? If a team just shuts down a couple of their scorers or if any of those guys even have an off night, it's probably tough for them to win.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
November 16 2008, 8:38 AM 

MSU sweeps Illinois State but those games were pretty close. Is MSU slipping or is Illinois State that strong?

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
November 16 2008, 10:53 AM 

They were ranked 8th and 9th respectively, why wouldn't you have expected these games to be close? I think it actually speaks well to the first rankings.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
November 16 2008, 10:58 AM 

It's amazing that you are quick to put down MSU so quickly! Prior to the series, Illinois State had scored 130 goals against all others and they were held to only 1 goal in the series!?!?

Prior to giving up ISU's only goal 5 minutes into the third period of game #2, MSU had not given up a goal in 9 periods.

Missouri State's focus in on defensive hockey, get used to low scores, not the 8-7 scoring fests.

Could MSU score more? Probably, but slipping? I think not! Besides, it doesn't matter how much you score, just that you win, right?

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
November 16 2008, 11:33 AM 

Well said. Along with playing good defense, the other plus MSU has is that every line is scoring goals. It's not just two or three players like so many other teams. MSU top scorer has 9 goals, 11 players have 3 or more. Sure, they have some issues. But, overall MSU is a well rounded team.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
November 16 2008, 12:58 PM 

How do you guys think you will do against SLU next week? You beat them last season and then got smoked in game 2. Their a different team now but, could be embarassing.

WSR
(Login WebSports)

No score for this post
November 16 2008, 4:11 PM 

You're talking about a completely different teams on both accounts. There are also several factors involved. One being sickness: Missouri State was trying to get over a nasty flu virus that weekend last year.

Two: the first game, a 5-1 win, was played at 12 midnight, then there was a turn-a-round of less than 12 hours with a noon game. They tied the second game 2 times at 4-4, and 6-6, until they ran out of gas.

Three: Missouri State recently has a renewed effort to win.

SLU has a new coach, new players, a different philosophy, and can pull out wins unexpectedly.

Outcome: Missouri State will still take two games although I wouldn't be surprised if game #2 is alot closer.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
November 16 2008, 4:24 PM 

sounds like excuses to me!!!!!!

ISU 7
(no login)

No score for this post
November 16 2008, 5:01 PM 

The games this weekend for ISU and MSU were actually some of the best games i have seen for acha d2. Very evenly matched teams. Both teams played well. MSU deserved the win on friday night as the score shows, but I do think it was a closer game than the 3-0 score. Saturday that game could have gone either way and honestly I think that ISU deserved to win the game, but alas we suck in OT lol. The only thing that held this weekend back from being a great weekend was the officiating. Both games were pretty bad on that end. I guess you can look at it as being "consistent" but it was consistently bad.

MSU is a very good team. ISU is a very good, most of the time. Like I said before we can compete with the best in macha and do well, but consistency is what we are searching for.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
November 16 2008, 9:18 PM 

The SLU goalie actually let in 6 goals, not 7, to SIUE this past weekend with 5-2 and 5-4 scores and took 52 shots instead of the 36 mentioned. I believe it was 21 in the first game and 31 in the second game. SIUE was held scoreless in the first game until the last couple of minutes in the third when they put in 2 quick goals.

Your facts are wrong but your opinions are much appreciated.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
November 17 2008, 3:59 AM 

Sorry, just going by someones verbal on the second game. So my apologies that brings the Save % to around 88%. Better but, it looks like the problems for this SLU team starts when teams can get to their goalie. The number two man must not be real strong as the tall kid gets most of the clock. I would say shoot, shoot, shoot.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
November 17 2008, 10:14 AM 

In complete honesty, Illinois State deserved to win that second game. MSU's goaltending has been stout lately to say the least. In the past 4 games the msu goaltending has only given up 3 goals. Msu's starter Poepping has only given up only 1 of those goals in 3 games.
As far as using the "defensive hockey team" as a reason for MSU's low scores... that may be true but word on the street is that MSU has been bitten HARD by the injury bug... especially in their offense. Maybe now would be the best time for them to be upset by someone...

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
November 17 2008, 10:26 AM 

Truth.

Msu's scratches for Illinois State
- leading scorer (injury)
- regular defenseman (illness)
- assistant captain (injury)
- one of their better snipers (injury)

Besides these some were playing through/ coming back from injuries because of all the scratches.

Bear Fan
(no login)

No score for this post
November 17 2008, 12:48 PM 

I previously posted the comment "MSU is the team to beat in MACHA" Now after fending off ISU in hard close games and a current 30 game winning streak in MACHA. I will again say MSU is the team to beat in MACHA! Can they be beaten? Who will it be? Will it be SLU will it be Iowa? Time will tell. In the mean time...MSU enjoy the ride. You've got a target on your back, everybody will be gunnin for you. Go BEARS!

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
November 17 2008, 2:28 PM 

Agreed I do not know much about either one of their goalies and they will have to prove themselves against teams as the season goes on. Their skaters are unknown as well this team could go either way in my opinion. We'll just wait and see. For these things I cant really bash them because they did pull off two sweeps over Mizzou and SIUE. Maybe they actually are a good team?

I'm talking about SLU by the way.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
This forum has been created with the purpose to constructively discuss college club hockey. We encourage you to freely discuss any topic you wish, with the caveat that you keep the discourse within the bounds of good taste. While good natured trash-talking is fun, thought provoking and acceptable, any replies that turn personal, disrespectful and/or disruptive of the intent of this forum will be deleted by the moderators of this forum. Our intent is to build up and promote college club hockey and its teams. We need to work together and support each other to make this happen. We already have enough critics of club hockey. Let's do our best to keep things amiable on this forum, as not to give them any ammunition. Best of luck to ALL teams! Regards, Jpower79