Please feel free to visit www.ACHA.com for up to date stats and standings

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

MACHA: The MOST Up and Down League EVER...

December 8 2008 at 12:07 PM
No score for this post
Anonymous  (no login)

Iowa just swept Missouri State in a solid showing at MSU's home ice that was unexpected to say the least. What im about to say is in no disrespect to your team its just a conundrum. As an Msu fan, I just wanted to know what causes a team to be so up and down or fall off the face of the earth completely? If you look at the stats and the previous games it would have said that MSU was supposed to win these games but maybe not. Here's the facts...
Iowa has lost 4 games. To Depaul, St thomas and Kansas... Msu's key games this year were a win over D1 Iowa State, a very close loss to Davenport (#1 Central), win over Florida Gulf Coast (#2 in southeast)... but they've also fallen to Vermont, almost fell to illinois state, and a big loss to Lindenwood d2.

Heres the analysis,
Msu beat Iowa State... Kansas got killed by Iowa state (10-5)and Kansas beat Iowa.
MSu almost beat Davenport who is ranked a lot higher then both Depaul and St Thomas. Both those teams handled Iowa
MSU beat FLorida gulf coast who came in and beat up on all the other macha teams they played while they were over here...

Since these Iowa wins happend if i stay on the same thought process then it should make me think that the Macha is full of a lot of teams that all have a chance at winning. Illinois state is playing every top team close, Kansas has beaten the now top team in macha, MSU has handled every macha team so far until iowa, Mizzou killed Kansas who beat Iowa so they are in the mix, the only team in macha that iowa lost to is Kansas, oh and SLU beat Mizzou.

Does this really mean that Iowa, MSU, SLU, Kansas, Mizzou and Illinois State all really have a legitimate shot at winning macha?

Iowa and Missoui State could distance themselves from the pack once future games are played.... Msu still has to play Mizzou and Kansas and Iowa still gets to show their might vs D1 Iowa State and they have to play Illinois State and SLU... Both teams still play SIUE but i think theyll both handle them.

What the hell is going on in Macha? Im just confusing myself now... Ill see what you guys think...

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: MACHA: The MOST Up and Down League EVER...

No score for this post
December 8 2008, 12:15 PM 

Just being honest,

SLU has won some games but without goaltending they wont win a championship

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
December 8 2008, 12:40 PM 

Honestly, SLU is on probation in the league so they're not a factor this season. But, you're right about their goaltending, brutal.

Here's the facts on ACHA hockey, the players are casual competitors at best. Some nights they show up to play, some nights they don't. Commitment level is very different from player to player. They're really there because they want to have some friends that have a similar interest, party like they're rock stars when they can, take a few bad bus trips to other college towns and maybe some just can't leave hockey behind and get on with school then, life. So there's nothing wrong with a little extra time on a team to have some fun. But lets be real, there are no big perks to win, no extra bumps in their scholarships (what scholarships), no future pro contracts on the line. This is really recreational hockey, just a bit better then intramurals at best and with that said, you can only expect so much consistency. Some players and parents get it and just sit back and enjoy others think that it's the NCAA and little Johnny is still a stud. That's cool, whatever gets you through the night, right? It's that way at every level in the ACHA, no big surprise.

Don't be confused and don't lose any sleep over it. Go support your team if that's your bag and enjoy the game you have in front of you on any given night. But keep it real.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
December 8 2008, 1:29 PM 

Very well put and dead on for an deffintion of ACHA hockey.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
December 8 2008, 1:49 PM 

An add on to that post....

This is why coaches sometimes have difficulties or are even blamed for problems, losses, etc. At all of the schools in our league besides Robert Morris and McKendree the teams are clubs. They are just like any other student club. You can try to ask more here or there but the boys realize that it is what it is. Sure they want to win but they also want to have fun. They would rather lose having fun than win being like robots. It's a tough mix but that is where it's at. Great post though, very well put.

P.S. All Benjamin Alexander critics are these losses his fault too?

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
December 9 2008, 7:29 AM 

I would agree with what you're saying about the coaches vs. the players. The players want to release themselves from the parental grip on organizing hockey for them their entire life. They just want to play. The problem comes in when they still need to work with an adult that is trying to watch out for them, advise them and coach them. The issue becomes that the players and the coaches have very different ideas about winning and losing. Usually the players lose and say, "no big deal" while the coaches take it seriously like their next paycheck depends on it when their not getting paid at all. It also flows over to the operation of their programs. We have recently heard about lack of communication in Iowa which caused financial over runs. That's normal because as much as the students want to run their clubs and the universities want them to, they really don't have the expertise and commitment to do it. It's a real problem. So you have really different leadership patterns across the ACHA in how teams function. Some disfunctional and some organized. If the ACHA was smart, they would pick out a couple of successfully run programs, have them do a series of mandatory informational web seminars that a club must attend regarding topics like, finances, leadership structure, sucssesion planning, marketing, loss prevention, fund raising etc. Save the web seminars to a file and be sure that new teams recieve it immediately before they're accepted at division of the ACHA. It would probably give the teams a good base of information to build their programs and secure their teams futures. The ACHA needs to reinvest in its product to help their members.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
December 10 2008, 7:07 PM 

I think you have it very wrong. I think some players and teams who lose alot put forth your wisdom in error because it allows them to excuse themselves from the responsibility of losing.

To go at the ACHA D2 in the way you describe is irresponsible. It hints of a student who has everything handed to him all his life and has never had to sweat for his money.

An ACHA D2 team can consume 50 to 75K annually. Where does that money come from? Usually many sources. The biggest one is player fees. Fine, that is the players sweat in the game. What about university contributions, ticket sales, sponsors, donors, etc. And how about the coaches. They donate around 400 hours a year to the cause. Do you really think any of these sources of funding and service want to ante up for someone who describes what we are doing in the way you do? If that is the way it is, keep your hand in your own pocket and have mom and dad pay your way like always.

ACHA D2 players have a responsibility to all those who contribute to the effort with their money and / or time. There are many excellent organizations who are doing it right and winning. Examples include the top teams in MACHA Gold and the top ranked teams across the ACHA D2. Then there are the organizations that go at it as you describe. They are usually bottom feeders, with a handy excuse.

But it gets worse. Look at Palmer College or Purdue or Eastern Illinois. Palmer kicked out of MACHA because they chronically cheated, not following eligibility rules. Purdue rolls a van, kills a player and then lies about why the school canned the program. Who is accountable for all of that? Those laid back players, out for a good time? And EIU, can't hold onto a coach because their players cannot respect authority and what happens, the program is crumbling.

A great organization starts with great leadership from people with the experience to provide it. Next, quality people are attracted to that environment and the program begins to grow and attract quality people who are also quality hockey players. Before you know it programs that used to suck like Missouri State, SIUe or Illinois State have success and attract more quality players who are quality people.

There you go, put that in the powerpoint. Project complete.

Now, why are there so many upsets and unpredictable outcomes in the MACHA Gold? This is not football. Hockey is a high skill game, yes, but emotion has a lot to do with it. Momentum is huge too. Then there is the inconsistent level of officiating. I have seen games stolen by homer refs more than once. You also have a 21 man roster. Some teams will play them all in a series and some will try to get away with 14 and have the other 7 watch from the bench. Watch DePaul or Missouri State in a close contest.

I think the MACHA Gold Division is having a great year. Any team but RMC-Springfield could win on any given night. Sure, by the end of the year the EIUs and NIUs will drift down to join RMC on the bottom of the standings, but they have had their moments and that is great for the league.

Sit back and enjoy, it should be a great finish to the season over these last two months. Anyone who thinks they know who the MACHA GOld champ will be today is just guessing. Good luck to all the coaches and players who think winning is fun and being part of something bigger than you are is something worth being a part of.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
December 11 2008, 12:09 AM 

Whats your post have to do with helping programs to grow positively and providing tools to educate them in critical success areas? Some of the more tragic events that you mentioned could be helped through the ACHA educating teams and intervention with the student leadership and the campus recreation / university administrators on how they need to handle a college hockey program. You must admit, most college students are too unskilled at lifes issues to run a $75,000.00 plus budget and fairly deal with adult coaching and supervision that they really don't want but have to have. You make some interesting points but there has to be some help for these clubs so that the tragic events, lack of respect and other negatives can be reduced for the sake of limiting exposure, securing a programs chance for success and players enjoyment. Quite a challenge to be sure.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
December 11 2008, 7:42 AM 

WOW and WOW.

A few points here....

First of all, ISU has had some good leadership come in. Brian came in, with the help of Mandy and really worked to make a good product. But they had HUGE help from a little thing called a rink in their own town. Prior to the new rink you saw ISU struggle on and off due to travel for practice and games. If you look at their history they have always had up and down swings. Nothing to be taken away from Brian but that helps. Same thing for MSU. But they also have adults doing a great job with off ice issues.

Palmer wasn't kicked out of the MACHA. There has been rumors for years that they use illegal players. What was discovered was that they had 3 players that were registered, full time students at Palmer that weren't eligible. A simple search at hockeydb.com produced proof that one player played 4 years for NCAA Div SUNY-Buffalo and the other played for 4 years at another SUNY team and then even had a 6 game tryout contract with Elmira in the United Hockey League. If you want to blame Palmer for this you should look at blaming several others as well. One of their players was not only registered with the ACHA but also took home an all conference award the year that Palmer finished second to ISU in the Silver playoffs. I agree Plamer was to blame the most for this, but this can get by people. Palmer chose to leave the league. They realized that they had several more players that were to be ineligible by October of that year and asked the league if they could stay in and play the games and they not count. Both the ACHA and the MACHA stated that for Palmer to continue to be able to play any ACHA teams that season those illegal players would not be allowed. Palmer has realized that as the ACHA has become larger they will have a difficult time continuing to put together an ACHA eligible team. They have chosen to play as a true club still and even played DePaul this year. Palmer has hockey as their school as a club, an extracarricular activity to allow their students to be involved more than just going to class and taking tests.

....a club, an extracarricular activity to allow their students to be involved more than just going to class and taking tests.
Many schools have this in mind. Sure they want to win. But the students want to have fun and sometimes at college it is their first time to try something without a lot of authority. Agree or not that is what it is. Technically speaking that's how club sports work at colleges. Look at almost any club sport at any college or university. Student lead, student run, and even student coached for the most part. Ice hockey and roller hockey tend to be different. I don't really see a team like Eastern "not caring" but the students run the club, and that's ok. I bet the school advisor is ok with it as well. As long as their isn't any news articles regarding Eastern Club hockey and something bad, they are accomplishing their role as a student club on campus. Northern has some volunteers and some structure. I really don't know that their level of talent has decreased tremendously over the years. They get the same demographic as a player as they have for years. Other teams just tend to be picking up some players that maybe never played club before. We all heard of guys in the past that played Jr. A. then wanted nothing to do with "club" hockey because of whatever reason.

The reffing situation... it is good on days and bad on others. It can be very inconsistent. Hmm, sounds parallel to the level of play of the players. There have been many times when everyone of us didn't like this ref or that call. This isn't the NHL yet many expect NHL refs. It happens at every level in every sport. Most of the time the refs level is fairly equal to the level of play. I personally wish the refs did get evaluated a little more, if anything it may help them to leave their "small pe--- syndrome" egos at the door when they walk into the rink. And yes, there really are some refs like that. They do put up with a lot of crap. I know if I were a ref I would call a lot more penalities for coaches and players running their mouths. At least then I wouldn't have a headache after the game.

The problem with the ACHA are the critics. That is their biggest problem. There are some teams that want to treat it like a NCAA program and some that want to still just be a "club." If the ACHA didn't mandate a coach I gaurantee there would be teams with no coaches. They would be student run. Many teams work hard to pay for their season. The notion that ticket sales will help with funding is a fallacy. For pretty much every team in this league ticket sales will hopefully recover the cost for refs for that night.

I bet if you start asking around you will find that the reality behind "super serious" programs with games on the internet and packed stadiums are more the dreams of adults than players. (I think you see this at many places across the country. I will agree that once it is established the players of course have more fun in that environment). Most of the players just want to have a lot of fun playing hockey for the last time. Yes they want to win but not if it is at the cost of having fun.

Just my humble opinion mixed with a fact or two.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
December 11 2008, 8:12 AM 

You are right on target. The next question is, would they listen, is the leadership stable enough to gain institutional knowledge and would they sustain the progress they make when the choices became difficult?

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
December 16 2008, 2:54 PM 

To say EIU can't hold on to a coach because of following rules is wrong....EIU can't find a coach that is willing to take the time to drive a total of 2 hours and 30 mins for an hour of ice...I'm still shocked EIU can keep a team going and still beat teams that their not suppose to such as KU, Mizzou, ISU, and SLU with a student coach. All EIU is, is a college mens league team that plays to play. To say such as ISU's coach did "you guys should not be in this league" blows my mind. This is not the NCAA but when you look at the facts EIU has beaten ISU 3 out of the last 4 times they have played them. so I don't really know where he get the nerve to say that. The fact is EIU will always be a bottom feeder of the league because of how much time it take and how diffcult it is to play at EIU.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
December 16 2008, 4:30 PM 

Did the coach from ISU really say that?

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
December 16 2008, 7:55 PM 

THE ISU COACH AFTER BEATING EIU TOLD THE EIU COACH THAT THEY WERE WHATS WRONG WITH THE LEAGUE. EIU CAME OUT THE NEXT NIGHT AND HANDED THEM THEIR ASS. THE EIU KIDS PLAY FOR THE LOVE OF PLAYING NOT FOR SOME EGOMANIAC COACH.
THEIR PROGRAM IS STRIVING DUE TO THE HARD WORK AND EFFORT OF THEIR STUDENT COACH AND TEAM LEADERS. DON'T BE HATING ON EIU BECAUSE THEY WIN WHEN NO ONE THINKS THEY CAN OR SHOULD.

Mike Downs (Former ISU #3)
(no login)

No score for this post
December 16 2008, 11:08 PM 

I played for coach Corley for 2 and a half years and while he may get heated in some situations I have never heard him say anything like that about any team. I'm not saying this comment was never made, BUT are you sure this wasn't something the EIU coach used a motivating factor to help his team get pumped up for the next game? This does not sound like something that would come out of any coach in this league and especially not after a win...

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
December 16 2008, 9:11 PM 

what did purdue lie about?

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
December 8 2008, 2:22 PM 

Just to add in..

SIUE just swept Kansas as well.

CKich30
(Login CKich30-SIUE-)
Moderators

No score for this post
December 16 2008, 3:14 PM 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that East Alton is a shorter drive for EIU players than to Eastern's home rink in Danville. I understand why we always play them at home every year now.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
December 16 2008, 4:54 PM 

Mapquest Says:

Charleston to Danville - 72 Miles 1.5 Hours

Charleston to East Alton - 138 Miles 2.5 Hours

(Danville very cool rink)

CKich30
(Login CKich30-SIUE-)
Moderators

No score for this post
December 16 2008, 7:07 PM 

I stand corrected haha

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
This forum has been created with the purpose to constructively discuss college club hockey. We encourage you to freely discuss any topic you wish, with the caveat that you keep the discourse within the bounds of good taste. While good natured trash-talking is fun, thought provoking and acceptable, any replies that turn personal, disrespectful and/or disruptive of the intent of this forum will be deleted by the moderators of this forum. Our intent is to build up and promote college club hockey and its teams. We need to work together and support each other to make this happen. We already have enough critics of club hockey. Let's do our best to keep things amiable on this forum, as not to give them any ammunition. Best of luck to ALL teams! Regards, Jpower79