Please feel free to visit www.ACHA.com for up to date stats and standings

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

KU and the MACHA

February 7 2010 at 7:05 PM
No score for this post
Anonymous  (no login)

OK so I got to ask this since KU lost to EIU in regulation and 1 in OT this past weekend and are officially the bottom of the MACHA Gold division. Why again did they get moved from affiliate of the MACHA to full member? They are 5-9 hours from alot of the teams and this year atleast weren't competative. I know they were decent last season but if we want to look at how to better the league as a whole and get more looks for regionals why not limit the Gold Division to 8 teams (14 games) and then let those team play other teams from the midwest that will help them in regional rankings? Honestly lets take our bias hats off and look at the big picture with the Gold division having the top 4 teams fairly even and beating up on each other it makes the outside of league games that much more important to the LEAGUE if 2 or 3 out of that top 4 can go out and win games against top 10 central teams. I think that there should be a look into how to best organize the Gold Division for teams to go after rankings and have the ability to play more teams that will help them achive getting as many MACHA reps as possible into the regional tourny becasue as of now we would only have 2 reps. Just my thoughts what does everyone else think?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: KU and the MACHA

No score for this post
February 7 2010, 9:12 PM 

Kansas is messing up Slu's Mardi Gras weekend...maybe they will just forfeit like they did 2 years ago so they can go to the bar.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
February 7 2010, 11:16 PM 

Ok let me make this clear I did not start this thread for dumb comments I simply am interested if anyone agrees, diagrees or has any thoughts maybe I am overlooking?

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
February 8 2010, 11:26 AM 

I Don't understand why KU gets singled out in this post, yeah they are having a bad year... terrible actually. Who knows why, but I think its unfair that after a bad season, and only 2 seasons in the MACHA (they didn't bad last season) that you are saying to kick them out. There are a few teams in MACHA gold that year after year fail to compete with the upper tier teams, they should be asked to leave then as well... Maybe the MACHA Gold should just consist of Mizzou, Siue, Iowa, Mo State, and I guess ISU (even though they are just now coming into there own). About the travel, some teams have to travel to Kansas Once a season... The KU guys travel to east god knows where Illinois at least 3 times a year, because the MACHA is the only competitive league around, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say KU is trying to progress as a club just as much as any other team in the MACHA. The MACHA is the proper step. Give them a break.

Anonymous
(no login)

KU & MACHA

No score for this post
February 8 2010, 11:50 AM 

I agree, anyone can have a down year and the point is well said that KU travels east many times to compete. Hell if we are going to kick someone out for travel reasons, then how about MSU, that trip is frickin' miserable.
A better solution might be to add another team to Gold to make ten and split into two divisions similar to the Silver level and play divisional games that count towards the tourney. Then you can schedule, if you like, the other non-divisional MACHA teams to your schedule as you wish. The Division winners get byes and the next four best records get into the tourney, that way it can even out the divisions. That would ensure that the "best" six make the tourney.
For instance

Kansas
MSU
Mizzou
Iowa
#10 Team up from Silver??? or Illinois D2 others???? DePaul expressed interest again this season.
ISU
NIU
EIU
SIUE
SLU

Would need some tweaking but I believe this is the best as far as travel goes. Maybe asking Illinois D2 or having a Silver team step up to Gold. Just suggestions and I am sure there are pros and cons in this scenario as well.

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: KU & MACHA

No score for this post
February 8 2010, 12:59 PM 

Based on previous seasons...

DePaul may never be left back in our league and they shouldn't be allowed back unless they are willing to travel for all of their games and pay the league a substantial deposit (min. 5K). People that know the history know why I say this.

Illinois was in our league and left for a better league (that has now folded). They didn't want in the last few season but this could possibly change.

Splitting Gold into two has been discussed. But all the gold teams want to make it into regionals. (whether they are good enough is for another discussion). When you split you may not get to play Iowa or MSU or SIU or Mizzou (all teams that have represented our league in regionals and all teams that it still looks good to sweep). So, the splitting will be hard pressed to be approved.

There has been a tendency toward stability of teams at the Gold level and this is why it hasn't changed in two years. Everyone knows that there are a few teams in Silver that could go to Gold and "suck" just as bad as the bottom two Gold teams. For whatever reason that has not happened. Maybe Eastern likes getting beat a lot. Maybe they feel they worked hard to get to Gold and don't want to drop back down...yet. Maybe McKendree doesn't want to move to Gold and get beat a lot. There are real, legitimate arguments here.

I am sure there will be one or two people here, not here, even in the room, that come league meeting time won't like what happens with alignment. They can't expand geographically anymore though. If they continue this league will either split, scale back down or even fold. It is just getting too spread out. Plus there is just not a need for it.

I hope that those m aking decisions at the league meeting will think long and hard at what is good for both the league and their teams and not just have a bias towards their team. I know this is in theory because there are some that sit on the board that are there to get more power to push an agenda that molds into their own philosophy and not what may be best for long term stability of this league.

The End.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
February 8 2010, 3:15 PM 

Ok there have been some good points made, Here are some more of my thoughts since I may have not been clear enough in the first post.

1- The league is spread out way to far in the midwest. there needs to be discussions on how to make a bit smaller to help keep costs down for teams.

2- The primary point I am getting at is KU was a affiliate member for atleast 3 or 4 years if I am not mistaken and the reson behind that was the distance. I will not disagree with the MSU trip becasue you have a valid point it is out there as well which if I remember correctly was the hold up for letting both of their teams into the league several years back.

3- You could add a 10th team and divide up into east west but will this benefit anyone in either division trying to push for nationals becasue you will only play 1 or 2 sets of crossover games and if you happen to get as your opponant from the other Gold region the worst 2 teams then it hurts your ranking not help.

4- Why not make the Gold 8 teams and have everyone else in the 2 Silver divisions N and S? As far as who I consider Gold teams as of now would be SIUE, Mizzou, Missouri State, ISU, SLU and Iowa. I think you then will have the following teams that are there now or might think they deserve Gold- EIU, NIU, KU, Mckendree, Loyola, RMC-P, Purdue

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
February 10 2010, 5:51 AM 

"but all the gold teams want to make it into regionals"

I assume you're talking about the ACHA D2 Regionals? If so, they better be ready to travel further then Kansas, Dorthy. If the Gold teams can't swing trips 6-9 hours away financially then how are they going to improve their schedules to play teams that will really give tem the credibility that they need to ever get ranked in the top 4 of the ACHA D2 Central? Competing takes money, committment and talent, in that order.

Now there THE END!

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
February 10 2010, 8:31 AM 

...Not the End...

Let's say team A in the league feels they "will be good enough" to get ranked next season. They have a chance to go to the D2 showcase or to go play Grand Valley State one weekend next season. They also have to go play Kansas next season. They have a budget that allows for only one trip of that distance. (Yes, I agree they may need more than one but just play along here) They are all set to go, great test playing GVSU, but oops, can't go, MACHA league games at Kansas.

I really don't know that there can ever be a THE END to this topic. There can be a lot of points and counterpoints for arguments. But if the league keeps growing out geopgraphically there will be a split at some point.

For those that didn't know, as of last year at this time Arkansas was asking to join the league...yea...Arkansas.

Kevin Harter
(no login)

No score for this post
February 10 2010, 4:42 PM 

The complaining about Kansas is not entirely unfounded, however, I feel it is completely unnecessary. EVERY team in the MACHA goes through periods of up and down results. The Iowa's, SIUE, MSU, etc. all have taken their lumps over the years when the cycle of the MACHA shifted away from them. But remember this, with the Kansas' and MSU locations comes greater exposure. More kids at tryouts and perhaps (as with Iowa in the last couple of years) expansion to 2 teams. I understand your points on the cost of travel, trust me I played for 4 years in this league and then coached for 4 years when I graduated. I paid my own way and drove to away games in our own cars and a few years later look what we have, 2 teams at Iowa. Hell for a couple of my first years on the team we were lucky to have 10 skaters TOTAL! My point being, the added cost of travel will eventually make it back to your organizations in one way or another. Maybe a couple more kids tryout, maybe they decide to come to your school because of what they got a chance to witness. (I imagine MSU's soldout arena is a great recruiting tool) You have to take the good with the bad and cannot change the structure of the league because a couple of schools and having a down season. And I have one final point on the Michigan schools and the rankings...F Them!! They never want to come play MACHA squads and the voting is so bias its makes me sick. Sub .500 teams in years past have had some pretty lofty rankings. I know teams want to make regionals and I completely understand, but we are not doing ourselves any favors by verbally bashing those in our league because we feel their results are whats keeping our rankings down.
P.S. Shout out to a very classy Mizzou squad on a hard fought weekend. I ran the clock this weekend and they were a very respectful and disciplined squad. Good luck to all MACHA squads as you close out the season.

Current Topic - KU and the MACHA
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
This forum has been created with the purpose to constructively discuss college club hockey. We encourage you to freely discuss any topic you wish, with the caveat that you keep the discourse within the bounds of good taste. While good natured trash-talking is fun, thought provoking and acceptable, any replies that turn personal, disrespectful and/or disruptive of the intent of this forum will be deleted by the moderators of this forum. Our intent is to build up and promote college club hockey and its teams. We need to work together and support each other to make this happen. We already have enough critics of club hockey. Let's do our best to keep things amiable on this forum, as not to give them any ammunition. Best of luck to ALL teams! Regards, Jpower79