<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>View more postings  

books

September 13 2006 at 6:53 AM
No score for this post
gabbott  (no login)

on the web finstad's "natasha" and lambert's "natalie a life" are compared and reviewed, which is the favorite of this group and why?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Olivia
(no login)

Re: books

No score for this post
September 13 2006, 8:51 AM 

Most people seem to prefer Lambert's book, but I personally like Suzanne Finstad's book better. The reasoning is that when someone is a personal friend, I feel that it is tempting if not likely that they leave out unflattering things about their friend that they would not like known or do so as a favor to someone else. In Lambert's book, Natalie is not portrayed in a negative light, but I didn't feel that it had as much info as Suzanne's book did. My main concern was that Natalie come out smelling ,like a rose, which she does in Suzanne's book, as well as Lambert's. I tend to believe much of what is in Sizanne's book as opposed to all the gaps Lambert left. His book seems to me almost a syllabus.

gabbott
(no login)

No score for this post
September 13 2006, 9:23 AM 

i felt that lambert used this book as a means of answering some of the questions that finstad's book posed. to be blunt, lambert worked overtime on trying to convince the reader that everything that finstad said about rj was untrue. lambert had a great opportunity and he blew it. he had access to all the people who would not deal with finstad. his book would have been much better if he simply wrote it to tell her story, as finstad did....no ulterior motives....all one has to do is read this book to see that he had an agenda in writing it. he wanted to dust off robert wagner...to me, that ruined this book. i was very disappointed. i was not overjoyed with finstad's book either but it's a far more readable book...to the average reader it's a page turner, lambert's book was boring....plus, lambert did not have a clear understanding of women in general. i would like to take that further but i don't want to offend anyone.

Olivia
(no login)

No score for this post
September 13 2006, 10:52 AM 

I would tend to agree with you. I don't hate RJ, but I'm not a fan of his in general. I don't understand what she saw in him unless it was just the stability she really longed for and I have to admit he was a doll when he was young. And, yes; Suzanne's book I think is far more readable.

gabbott
(no login)

No score for this post
September 13 2006, 11:06 AM 

olivia, i have always felt that way....that he presented the stability that she looked for most of her life, the family life that she lived in the movies she made as a child. i think she found him attractive along with that. you are not the first person to wonder what she saw in him...why do you feel that way? is it physical or is it something else about him that you find unattractive?
and yes, finstad's book is more readable...i felt, also, that it was cruel of lambert to tell the world that nick was not lana's father...to have lana find out along with the rest of the readers. i am not a huge lana fan but i felt that was insensitive of him.

Olivia
(no login)

No score for this post
September 13 2006, 1:24 PM 

I think with RJ, it's just that I think he is kind of dull--and I am not attracted at all to the suave, urbane kind of guys that he seems to represent--the poor man's Cary Grant thing, you know? I have always tended to go more for the underdog kind of guy, the rocker types, the cutting edge. I'm sure RJ is a nice guy, and I like nice guys, too; but he just seems "there." When I first found out Natalie had been married to Robert Wagner, I couldn't believe it. I was young, fourteen or so, but she seemed such a huge star and RJ was "You mean that guy on It Takes A Thief?! She was married to HIM?"

gabbott
(no login)

No score for this post
September 13 2006, 6:41 PM 

your feelings are shared by a few people. i guess this supports chap's opinion that rj was not quite as big a star as natalie in the eyes of the public..."dull" is the picture that suzanne finstad drew of him. natalie had the pizazz and rj was kinda boring and a bit shallow. his fans insist that he has a wonderful personality and people who have met him say that he has charm. there must have been something special about him because natalie was drawn to him.

Olivia
(no login)

No score for this post
September 14 2006, 9:03 AM 

Yes, there was something that kept it going through all the years they were apart. I think that no matter how drawn Natalie was to that cutting edge, she realized that if she ever lost RJ, she would regret it.

gabbott
(no login)

No score for this post
September 14 2006, 10:42 AM 

yes, but i think she would have survived without him. she was very proud of the fact that she KNEW that she could make it on her own. she had that soft, almost fragile exterior but inside there was a strong woman. i'll always admire her for that...she had it all...and she earned it. she was never a woman's lib type yet her example is one that women can follow and respect. in a sense, she was one of the women of her generation who paved the way for independent women of today...

Vlad
(no login)

No score for this post
September 14 2006, 12:59 PM 

LOL LOL LOL SHE COMPROMISED, AFTER HER FIRST MARRIAGE TO RJ SHE HAD MANY FAILED REATIONSHIPS AND THEN ANOTHER FAILED MARRIAGE WITH GREGSON, SO SHE COMPROMISED AND WENT BACK TO RJ , ALSO REMEMBER SHE HAD A DELICATE MENTAL STATE OF MIND, SHE GAVE UP AND WENT BACK WITH RJ AND EVENTUALLY GOT WHAT SHE WANTED A FAMILY, BUT REMEMBER IT ALSO COST HER HER LIFE. NATALIE WAS NOT AN INDEPENDENT WOMAN SHE WAS NEEDY SHE ALWAYS NEEDED SOMEONE, THAT WAS ANOTHER PART OF HER DELICATE MENTAL CONDITION SHE FEARED BEING ALONE.

gabbott
(no login)

No score for this post
September 14 2006, 2:01 PM 

she needed love and caring, yes....but to survive she did not need a man...she could take care herself. she was a woman capable of standing on her own two feet. if she were the fragile little waif that you make her sound like she never would have made it through all those years in hollywood...you can't be weak and survive what she survived...she was a strong , ballsy woman who went nose to nose with the biggest suits in town and came out on top. yes, she had some bad moments but she worked on herself and survived...
you have made reference to her mental state....please clarify what you mean by that....and hopefully we can all share our feelings without any major confrontations...we don't have to agree but we can share...i'm interested in what you have to say...i'm not challenging you.
i have a friend, a man, who feels as you do....that she settled...i never saw it that way. i have a huge collection of interviews in which she speaks very lovingly of him. according to her they had a bond that went beyond marriage....those were her words...

Vlad
(no login)

No score for this post
September 14 2006, 2:52 PM 

AND ALL THOSE YEARS IN HOLLYWOOD WITH OR WITHOUT RJ SHE WAS NEVER ALONE, NEVER, THERE WAS ALWAYS SOMEONE THERE FOR HER BECAUSE SHE NEEDED THE COMFORT OF COMPANIONSHIP WEATHER IT WAS A RELATIONSHIP WITH A MAN OR HER MAID SHE HAD TO HAVE SOMEONE THERE FOR HER. NATALIE TOOK DOWN NO ONE IN HOLLYWOOD SHE WAS OFFERED OR SHE CHOSE ONE BAD ROLE AFTER ANOTHER IF SHE GOT ANYTHING ELSE IT IS BECAUSE SHE WAS SO DAM BEAUTIFUL WHO COULD SAY NO YES SHE WAS SMART AND SHE MADE HER MONEY BUT THE PEOPLE WHO SURROUNDED HER SUCKED HER MANAGERS BLEW AND IT SHOWS WITH THE ROLES SHE TOOK SHE WAS MUCH BETTER THAN THAT ONCE AGAIN SHE COMPROMISED. HER MENTAL STATE OF MIND? YOU ASK SHE WAS A WRECK SHE WAS PHOBIC, FEAR OF BEING ALONE, FEAR OF BEING LONELY, FEAR OF WATER, FEAR OF GROWING OLD, FEAR OF ACCEPTANCE AND NON ECT.I AM IN NO WAY BEING DEROGATORY AGAINST NATALIE MY FEELINGS TOWARDS HER ARE INFINITE.

gabbott
(no login)

No score for this post
September 14 2006, 4:11 PM 

and you are entitled to those feelings...i am aware of her need to have people with her...even after years of analysis that stayed with her but it was not to the extreme that it was earlier in her life. as far as money goes...she was loaded...natalie left millions to her family. i have a full copy of her will. we're talking big money... she did fine financially..she was too smart to let anyone drain her...when natalie died she was a wealthy woman without her husbands money.
at the end of her life she did not work for money,she worked because she wanted to but she took years off from her career to be with her kids. she knew that things would not be the same when she decided to go back to work...she was not a stupid woman...she was a very bright lady.
i have been following her life for a very long time. the picture painted of her by her biographers in full of holes..a lot of exaggeration...a lot gossip.
when i said that she went nose to nose with powerful people i didn't say it without foundation...when she felt strongly about something she stuck to it...never backed down. most of the time it was for other people. she was not a helpless, fragile woman, not at all...yes, she had emotional problems but she worked on herself to make herself better..she had a great sense of humor...she loved to laugh...and yes, she was an incredibly beautiful woman...my dream is to write a book about her...i've loved her since i was a child and in all of these years i've learned a great deal about her...i'll always look up to her and love her...

Vlad
(no login)

No score for this post
September 14 2006, 4:48 PM 

LOL GOOD THEN WE AGREE AND REMEMBER SHE DID NOT MAKE HER REAL BIG MONEY UNTIL BOB CAROL TA NO SHE WAS NOT STUPID SHE WAS VERT SMART THE ONLY STUPID THING SHE EVER DID IN HER LIFE WAS GO BACK TO RJ AND IT COST HER HER LIFE NO ONE CAN ARGUE WITH THAT

gabbott
(no login)

No score for this post
September 14 2006, 7:10 PM 

she made a million dollars a year starting in 1964...about $600,000 a picture...and $750,000 for penelope....today, that is peanuts...in the 60's she was one of the highest paid actresses of her time. she invested, she bought shopping malls, she had a very extensive and valuable art collection. for bcta she accepted below her usual salary and took a percentage...she made big money with that film.
she owned a home that she paid $750,000 dollars for..this was in the 60's...she owned a mercedes and a bentley...she had a huge jewelry collection....she was one of the few actresses at that time who had an entourage that she did not pay for...the studio paid..they paid for her hairdresser, her makeup people..all of it...streisand got advice from natalie on how to get all that in her contract. in a nutshell...during that era..what natalie wanted, natalie got...she was bankable..
the only money problems that natalie had in the 60's resulted from the fact that she was in her 20's , single, with no dependents...she had people who handled all of that for. she was very smart when it came to money. she had the ability to understand and deal with the most complicated financial matters....even her will specified that her money that was held in trust was to be invested. her will was fascinating. she and her attorneys crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's
please don't underestimate her...she was a very savy lady...

Olivia
(no login)

No score for this post
September 14 2006, 4:20 PM 

Vlad, I'm not understanding what you mean about she "took no one down."

Vlad
(no login)

No score for this post
September 14 2006, 4:44 PM 

MR GABBOT SAID SHE WENT NOSE TO NOSE WITH HOLLYWOOD SUITS I SAID SHE TOOK NO ONE DOWN SHE GOT WHAT SHE WANTED BECAUSE SHE WAS NATALIE WOOD

gabbott
(no login)

No score for this post
September 14 2006, 7:17 PM 

i never said that she took anyone down..i am saying that she stuck up for herself...and others...if someone was being wronged she would help them....paramount did not want sidney pollack to direct this property is condemned...natalie did..she went and talked to them..sidney pollack directed..that's another thing..she had co-star approval, director approval, cameraman approval...you don't get these things if you are a timid little waif...you earn them...she earned all of it....and i will say it again..she never would have reached the heights that she did and survived the lows if she was not a strong and determined lady...

Vlad
(no login)

No score for this post
September 15 2006, 7:54 AM 

CSL CSL CSL OKAY WHATEVER YOU SAY SOS

gabbott
(no login)

No score for this post
September 15 2006, 2:01 PM 

what does csl mean??? by the way, it's not mr. gabbott...i am a woman...

Vlad
(no login)

No score for this post
September 18 2006, 11:03 AM 

CSL MEANS "CAN'T STOP LAUGHING" AND, PARDON ME I THOUGHT YOU WERE A MALE ,THE WAY YOU TALK ABOUT HOW YOU LOVE NATALIE, I ASSUMED, EXCUSE ME. WHAT KIND OF LOVE DO YOU HAVE FOR NATALIE? I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE A WOMAN OBSESSION WITH A WOMAN.

Olivia
(no login)

No score for this post
September 18 2006, 12:00 PM 

I sometimes think I too am obsessed with her--as a young girl I wanted to be like her to the point of wearing a bracelet on my left wrist all the time and searching stores for jeans with a patch that said "handle with care", I bought Jungle Gardenia perfume and wore it all the time. I still think about her everyday; and even with the friends and family that have passed away that I loved dearly, I still think of November 29th as one of the saddest days I can remember. But it doesn't venture into the physical attraction like I'd want to sleep with her or anything like that, as I'm sure it doesn't for gabbott, either. It's just huge admiration and affection for her.

Vlad
(no login)

No score for this post
September 18 2006, 12:06 PM 

THAT IS TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE AND ADMIRABLE, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE WAY YOU FEEL, I FEEL THE SAME I AM GLAD THAT THERE ARE OTHERS THAT FEEL AS WE DO I CONSIDER US AS VERY FORTUNATE I DO NOT CALL IT OBSESSION I CALL IT UNCONDITIONAL EVERLASTING LOVE.

gabbott
(no login)

No score for this post
September 18 2006, 6:24 PM 

i have idolized natalie since i was a little girl....when i say i love her i don't mean it sexually...i remember the first time i saw her in a movie. it was kings go forth. something clicked...as a little girl she was a hero to me and it grew from there. i will always love and admire her. i know that it is hard to understand but it's been so long that i have felt she is and always has been part of my life...

(no login)

No score for this post
September 18 2006, 6:29 PM 

and vlad...that's a perfect to describe it when you call it "unconditional everlasting love"....i know others who feel the same way...men and women...i have read a few criticisms of her and i don't take it well...lol...i feel as you said...it'd their loss because she was the BEST!!!!

Olivia
(no login)

No score for this post
September 19 2006, 9:25 AM 

I don't take kindly to criticism about her well AT ALL.

Olivia
(no login)

No score for this post
September 19 2006, 2:11 PM 

A funny thing just happened--I was entering names in my computer ( I work in a jail) and the female I entered was born 11-29-81. Isn't that a strange coincidence?

gabbott
(no login)

No score for this post
September 19 2006, 9:05 PM 

yes....that is coincidental...i little eerie...

Bob Weston
(no login)

No score for this post
August 28 2008, 2:32 PM 

My favorite is the Finstad book

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 2 2008, 3:26 PM 

I'm looking at Finstad's book now, and there's a picture I want to ask about. Between pages 230 and 231, there are 8 pages of photos. On the 7th page, the bottom photo (the caption starts "Fahd's last days"). Is that really Natalie sitting in front of R.J.? The caption says it is, but I wonder.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 2 2008, 3:55 PM 

Yes, that's her.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 30 2011, 2:10 PM 

There's something really creepy to still be thinking daily about a movie star that drowned thirty some years ago. For real? You need a rich full life sweetie. One made up of people that are alive. Either get married, have children and if you're too old for children, seek therapy. You need to stop thinking about the dead drowned movie star. Yikes! Like a twilight zone here.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 28 2011, 10:16 AM 

OMG

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 29 2011, 7:17 PM 

I was just looking at the pictures in Wagner's book and ripped out the ones of him because I ran out of toilet paper.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 29 2011, 10:44 PM 

Hang on to the whole book. It is all worthless paper. Use it at your discretion.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 30 2011, 6:22 AM 

Nancy Grace is joing Dancing With The Stars next season. Just shot down any credibility I had for her.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 30 2011, 11:39 AM 

Only inbreds and illiterates watch those reality shows anyway.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 30 2011, 2:06 PM 

And this coming from someone that has nothing better to do than lurk on this useless forum.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 30 2011, 3:31 PM 

What's an inbred?

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 30 2011, 2:07 PM 

Hey, there's some pics of Davern you can use. Also that polygraph page is perfect for wiping your *ss with.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 30 2011, 3:32 PM 

In Final Day, Davern kind of looks like an inbred. Wasn't he in Deliverance?

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 30 2011, 4:05 PM 

You must have him confused with your Father.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 30 2011, 4:17 PM 

Your father was in Deliverance? Dang! I'm lealous.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 30 2011, 4:19 PM 

Sure, that was Jocko's Daddy squealing like a pig. Didn't you see the resemblance?

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 31 2011, 10:25 AM 

I saw farty and denis in that movie Deliverance.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 31 2011, 10:41 AM 

They were a doin' the nasty...............

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 31 2011, 11:03 AM 

I saw your Mother and Wagnuts. Didn't know drunken wrinkle bags could still attempt to poke each other. it was better than the carnival.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 31 2011, 1:33 PM 

Anything looks better than farty and her hippie friend doing the deed. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Maybe farty should buy a wig and quit dying her hair that horrendous shade.... Food for thought for farty.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 5 2011, 8:49 AM 

Yo Mama Jerko

Current Topic - books
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>View more postings