<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Curlin=This Years Sinister Minister

May 1 2007 at 10:44 PM
  (Login flexshines)
UpInClass Member

I really don't understand the hype on this horse, He seems similar to Sinister Minister in his pre derby profile, but last year that horse got very little respect.

Someone is going to have to convince me beyond a firing of one good performance vs. the nags he went against in Arkansas

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
CroixBoy
(Login CroixBoy)
UpInClass Member

Re: Curlin=This Years Sinister Minister

May 1 2007, 10:48 PM 

Could you please elaborate on the basis for your assertion?

tector
(Login tector)
UpInClass Member

May 1 2007, 10:57 PM 

SM ran an obviously inflated front running fig on a highly biased track.

Curlin may or may not be a fraud, but not in the same manner as SM.

(Login flexshines)
UpInClass Member

May 1 2007, 11:15 PM 

Questionable Derby Breedinsg (Both have DI=4.00)

Similar yearling prices

Lightly raced as a 3 yr old

Impressive performance in a late prep race

It maybe that Curlin is getting play because there is no clear front runner this year, I think if SS won the bluegrass impressivly few people would be talking about Curlin

(Login elk-)
Stewards

May 1 2007, 11:41 PM 

Curlin, undefeated, consistant and unchallenged going from MSW into graded stakes.  Sold for probably 10 million+ after 1st start.

Sinister Minister, twice off the board, rank frontrunner, who couldn't keep form.  Dropped into MCL62.5k after his first start.

Sorry man, just don't see it...

(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

May 1 2007, 11:47 PM 

sinister minister--a burner from the gate. gate to wire or nothing.

curlin--rated easily in his last two startes, winning impressively from off the pace.

vagrant
(Login vagrant2)
UpInClass Member

May 1 2007, 11:52 PM 

Curlin is a much more professional horse. Sinister Minister was pure need-the-lead.

Larry LaTour
(Login Hezethebest)
Stewards

Curlin

May 1 2007, 11:54 PM 

Tough call on this one. He could be top 2 or he may not beat his stablemate, Zanjero. A must use if spreading but quite vulnerable at unacceptable odds! JMHO.

LL

(Login Boozer_1)
UpInClass Member

May 2 2007, 12:10 AM 

Sinister Minister has ONE impressive performance on his resume. His Blue Grass win where he took advantage of the inside speed bias on the old Keeneland dirt. Was the race impressive? Sure. Only problem is he put up a figure (116 Beyer I believe) that he will NEVER come close to running again. Easy to dismiss that. No different then when you see horses loose on the lead running inflated figs.

Now Curlin is an extremely talented horse. Take a look at his maiden win. While drifting some 12-15 paths off the rail in the stretch, he still opened up on the field. While that may not sound overly significant at face value, consider this. Gulfstream had an extreme inside speed bias that day (imo there were 3-4 days of this meet at Gulfstream where the inside was insanely biased) and his competition still couldn't close ground on him.

Next came the Rebel. For a horse to take on winners for the 1st time, go 2 turns for the 1st time, and to still draw off by open lengths in a stakes race nonetheless speaks to the horse's ability.

His Arkansas Derby was self explanatory. A couple of notes on that race. Watch up the backstretch as he's stalking Deadly Dealer in 2nd while on the rail. A horse comes up to his outside and he lets him go. You see enough horses that think it's go time at that moment, especially when they're stuck down on the inside. He relaxed and waited on jockey command. Good mind right there that all the good ones seem to have. He draws off to win by 10+ lengths, ears pricked, while well within himself.

Does this make Curlin a Derby lock? Of course not. Normally I would never consider using a horse like this. Sometimes you have to trust your gut. My gut tells me he may be this good and will be on every multi race exotic ticket I play on Saturday.

Comparing Curlin to Sinister Minister is like comparing Secretariat to Zippy Chippy.

Current Topic - Curlin=This Years Sinister Minister  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum