<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

barley grass

June 20 2008 at 4:59 PM
Sunshine  (no login)

Does anyone know if barley grass is estrogenic, or is it progesteronic? I've searched the forum and gone through posts related to barley and can't seem to find the answer.

I'm currently looking into balancing my hormones (i'm estrogen dominant) so I'm trying to compile a list. I figure if I could use some herbs from eve's program that are phyto-progesterone, I might get on the right track!

Thanks guys :)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)

Re: barley grass

June 20 2008, 10:50 PM 

Hi Sunshine,
I am not totally certain, but I believe barley is a phytoestrogen.

There are very few herbs that bind to progesterone receptors and of those that do, there are none that actually increase progesterone, in fact they are anti-progestogenic. According to Dr. John Lee there are no true phytoprogesterones.

There is however one herb that is useful in stimulating the production of progesterone and that is vitex. Simply put, it creates an effect that causes the body to lower prolactin and increase progesterone. This can be helpful in treating estrogen dominance.

Wild yam is used to create progesterone cream in the lab. It cannot however be used in our bodies for the same function. Wild yam is estrogenic in our bodies. However, when processed in the lab, bio-identical progesterone can be created. Some women with estrogen dominance use natural progesterone cream to combat it.

Dr. John Lee was probably the best authority on estrogen dominance - in fact he created the term. His writings can be very informative on this issue.

waxingmoon

Sunshine
(no login)

June 22 2008, 5:14 PM 

Thanks Waxingmoon, you're always so helpful! Yes, Vitex is the only supplement I came up with in my research as well but I didn't know how it worked to help with progesterone, so thank you!!

Louise
(Login Louise1982)

June 22 2008, 8:55 PM 

Read up on vitamin C - I think that's where your body makes progesterone from.

Current Topic - barley grass  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index