THE VINTAGE HOCKEY FORUM HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT WWW.VINTAGEHOCKEYFORUM.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New Pick-up

August 13 2006 at 12:03 PM

(Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

I go to an antique market near my place every Sunday and I've been having some luck lately after years of not spending a dime there. I picked up this piece and a 1930's Babe Ruth baseball game today. It's a 1930's puzzle missing some pieces but luckily they are not part of the team photo. Maybe someone else can post some pics of recent purchases too. Jim

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Andrew
(Login Hockeyguy_49911)

Re: New Pick-up

August 13 2006, 5:27 PM 

Great looking pick up! Is the back blank? Any idea why GM would be advertising on a hockey puzzle?

(Login strohman)

GM on a hockey puzzle

August 13 2006, 6:11 PM 

This is purely a guess on my part. When the league had only 6 teams, one of those original 6 teams was in Detroit. GM might have done local advertising in conjunction with the Red Wings and eventually someone came up with the idea of advertising for a puzzle of the Stanley Cup Champions. They might have told GM that Detroit had a good chance to win it that year and GM took the chance

The puzzle could have been given away at various hockey games, but I'm not sure if people outside of Toronto would want a Leafs puzzle, especially if the Leafs knocked their team out of the playoffs.

I'm sure that someone else may have some real information on this puzzle, but that is just my guess!

(Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

August 13 2006, 6:23 PM 

I don't know why there is advertising on it. I know that they did come in a box because I saw one on ebay a few months ago. This one did not have the box, it was put together in a cheesy frame that I threw away as soon as I got home. It is blank backed.

(Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

August 13 2006, 6:27 PM 

Even though it is not hockey, here is a link I found to the Ruth game that I picked up.

http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?ListID=2&ItemNo=26129

(Login Tiburon18)

A piece of the puzzle

August 15 2006, 11:53 PM 

Hey Jim that puzzle is cool, good luck finding the other pieces. Maybe they will show up on ebay, just kiddin!! What a huge collectible!

Current Topic - New Pick-up  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement