June 4th-5th 2011
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Wayne Gretzky Rookie Card Sells for Record-Setting Price of $80,000

September 22 2006 at 11:40 AM

Andrew  (Login Hockeyguy_49911)

Yesterday, September 21, 2006- A PSA 10 OPC Gretzky rookie card sold for $80,000USD making it the highest price ever paid for a hockey card! I thought this forum would find that interesting.

I still find it amazing our highest card sold for $80,000 were baseballs highest is around $1.5 million last time it sold I believe.

http://www.psacard.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=4791&universeid=314>

This message has been edited by Hockeyguy_49911 on Sep 22, 2006 11:40 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Premier Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

Re: Wayne Gretzky Rookie Card Sells for Record-Setting Price of $80,000

September 22 2006, 11:50 AM 

That is a ton of dough for that card!! Makes the SGC Vezina being offered for $100k seem like a bargain. You could pick up quite a few of the top cards in the hobby for that kind of money. Jim

John
(Login JNguyen)

OPC Wayne Gretzky

September 22 2006, 2:06 PM 

One of the reasons that I made the transition that many collectors make from modern to vintage cards is the possibility that there's a whole heck of a lot more of the modern stuff still floating around, whether ungraded or in wax form still. We've all seen it before with modern cards. An example is the 1986-87 Fleer Dominique Wilkins PSA 10. When the population was 2 or 3, it was selling for $20,000+. Now it's more of the $5000-$6000 range with a pop of 10 or so. Even though $100,000 for the SGC 96 C55 Vezina is alot, the chances of another being uncovered is much, much, much less than another PSA 10 79-80 OPC Gretzky showing up. But, as always, to each their own. Otherwise, all of the things that I don't collect wouldn't exist.

(Login raym8)

September 22 2006, 4:55 PM 

That card sold for 53k in the August 2005 Maestro auction. Not a bad return on your investment for one year.

I believe the seller is actually someone who posts on this board. Tony W. (MolsonFan) had this card listed in his 500 Goal Scorer set on the PSA registry that he retired last year.

(Login aro67)

Record Price

September 22 2006, 10:07 PM 

John - The Wilkins rookie card in PSA 10 that you were referring is now a pop of 18. In general they now sell in the $2000 range which further emphasizes your point about the price relative to the pop number.

As of now there is no Bobby Orr rookie PSA 9's - what will the first one sell for?

PSA might be a little premature in stating that this card is the top selling hockey card of all-time. Is there not an SGC 96 Vezina rookie?

John
(Login JNguyen)

PSA 9 Orr Rookie

September 22 2006, 11:08 PM 

Aro, thanks for the update on the 86-87 Fleer Wilkins. The SGC 96 C55 Vezina has not sold as far as I'm aware. Thus, the more accurate statement would be that the PSA 10 OPC Gretzky rookie is the most expensive sold hockey card. I would imagine that the Orr rookie would sell for more than the Gretzky, given the set it's from, it's age and Orr's popularity. My guess would be in the $90,000-$105,000 range. I don't know if Orr's jersey vs. Gretzky's jersey extrapolates to their cards. However, Orr's jersey is currently in the $50,000-$175,000 range as opposed to $25,000-$40,000 for the Gretzky.

(Premier Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

September 22 2006, 11:31 PM 

Thats actually a pretty solid price for a Gretzky jersey. If you consider how many jerseys Gretzky went through in this day of jersey cards and charity memorabilia auctions and how few they used to go through in the Orr days, Orr jerseys seem like a bargain. As for the Orr rookies, as some of you know, over the last 5-6 years alot of uncut sheets surfaced in the hobby mostly because of the prices BGS and GAI grading was getting at the time. Not too many of these sheet cut cards made thier way into psa holders and no Orr rookies from what I have seen. If this run of uncut sheets didn't produce an Orr Psa 9, it is unlikely we will see one in the near future. You can never say never, especially since I myself have bought a number of 50's, new to the hobby, nrmt/mt or better cards over the last year and I'm sure there is quite a bit more out there. There may be a mint card buried in someone's forgotten collection or in some "grandfathers attic" but I will bet that if a Psa 9 Orr does eventually surface, it will be a current high end Psa 8 that is either sharpened up a bit or gets a bump, just for publicity sake. Jim.

B.S.SC
(Login B.S.SC)

September 23 2006, 7:57 AM 

Wow $80,000 thats a lot of cash. Anyone know what the (bgs 10) gretzky rc go for a few years ago on ebay ?

(Login aro67)

re: Gretzky BGS

September 23 2006, 11:09 AM 

I think the BGS Gretzky 9.5's sold in the $40-45,000 range.

Jim - I would agree on the Orr rookies. The best way for there to be a 9 is for an 8 to get a bump, either with help or without.

Dan Basso
(Login tripoli99)

Orr PSA 9?

September 25 2006, 12:36 PM 

I'm sure if there are any PSA 9's out there...it may be in an early PSA holder ...PCGS graded coins tougher earlier in their existence, and I was fortunate enought to have a silver dollar regraded to a MS64 from a MS63, and doubled the value to the coin...

Current Topic - Wayne Gretzky Rookie Card Sells for Record-Setting Price of $80,000  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index