THE VINTAGE HOCKEY FORUM HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT WWW.VINTAGEHOCKEYFORUM.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Is it just me?

November 4 2006 at 2:18 AM

Jim F  (Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

I thought I had a good chance of picking up this set under $5k. Remember that this is a mostly raw set from an auction house run by an oldtime dealer which usually overgrades a touch.

http://www.oldjudge.com/auction/hockey/357/

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Earl Strohmeyer
(Login strohman)

1954 Topps Set

November 4 2006, 8:37 AM 

I will say the this set is getting more and more popular. Just a few years ago, the PSA 7 commons would sell for under $50, but now they often go for over $100.

I guess it helps that some of the key cards are graded 8 and 7.5, but they are SGC. Personally, I still like SGC, but many people will want to get the cards switched into PSA holders.

For $13000+, I would expect the set to be graded already! I have had cards from this set returned by PSA due to trimming and coloring, so it's easy to get ripped off on raw singles.

When I see the prices the auction houses get, I wonder if the bidders ever look on eBay, or if price simply isn't a consideration for them?

Personally, I think this price is much too high for this set in ungraded condition, but as long as someone is bidding, it must seem fair to them.

Earl

Mark Holt
(Login mark927)

Re: Is it just me?

November 4 2006, 9:21 AM 

Wow. I agree with what Earl said.

It seems pretty clear that the best way to sell vintage hockey sets is through the auction houses - from what I've seen over the last year they command premium prices over buying one by one on eBay.

Lyle M
(Login LyleM)

1954 Topps Hockey

November 4 2006, 10:14 AM 

Totally agree with the above comments with regards to this set. After completing most of my 1960's sets, I decided to collect the 1954 Topps set last year in PSA 8 holders. After winnig a few overpriced auctions I decided to switch to 1954 Parkhurst.
I really like the raw look the parkies have for this year. Also like the card designs of 1960/61 parkhurst.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement