THE VINTAGE HOCKEY FORUM HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT WWW.VINTAGEHOCKEYFORUM.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Is it just me?

November 4 2006 at 2:18 AM

(Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

I thought I had a good chance of picking up this set under $5k. Remember that this is a mostly raw set from an auction house run by an oldtime dealer which usually overgrades a touch.

http://www.oldjudge.com/auction/hockey/357/

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login strohman)

1954 Topps Set

November 4 2006, 8:37 AM 

I will say the this set is getting more and more popular. Just a few years ago, the PSA 7 commons would sell for under $50, but now they often go for over $100.

I guess it helps that some of the key cards are graded 8 and 7.5, but they are SGC. Personally, I still like SGC, but many people will want to get the cards switched into PSA holders.

For $13000+, I would expect the set to be graded already! I have had cards from this set returned by PSA due to trimming and coloring, so it's easy to get ripped off on raw singles.

When I see the prices the auction houses get, I wonder if the bidders ever look on eBay, or if price simply isn't a consideration for them?

Personally, I think this price is much too high for this set in ungraded condition, but as long as someone is bidding, it must seem fair to them.

Earl

(Login mark927)

Re: Is it just me?

November 4 2006, 9:21 AM 

Wow. I agree with what Earl said.

It seems pretty clear that the best way to sell vintage hockey sets is through the auction houses - from what I've seen over the last year they command premium prices over buying one by one on eBay.

(Login LyleM)

1954 Topps Hockey

November 4 2006, 10:14 AM 

Totally agree with the above comments with regards to this set. After completing most of my 1960's sets, I decided to collect the 1954 Topps set last year in PSA 8 holders. After winnig a few overpriced auctions I decided to switch to 1954 Parkhurst.
I really like the raw look the parkies have for this year. Also like the card designs of 1960/61 parkhurst.

Current Topic - Is it just me?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement