June 4th-5th 2011
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Love to see some ORRs

December 12 2006 at 11:18 AM
  (Login orrcards)

In my introductory thread a few weeks back Ray posted some blazing Orrs; I was awed. Then a PSA8 Orr RC (Ray too I think) a couple of days ago had me reaching for my hanky. So would love to see what else is out there if you have the time and the scans. I give a few of my meagre offerings, surely to be trumped but still my pride and joy.

All cards have a story - this one is the first Orr I ever bought (raw), knew absolutely nothing about the hobby; picked it up from a dealer in Florida, probably happy to get rid of his hockey and take advantage of a rube at the same time. I had the last laugh when I sent it to get graded a few years later, turned out to be a good buy:

I know the OPCs are really tough so would love to see a high-grade example or two.

Only one more, don't want to be humbled too bad, but it's a favorite. Picked it up on the 'bay for a song and when I got it was ecstatic; immaculate condition (little off L-R now that I look at it again):

Man do my scans ever suck. OK, one more oddball. I know these aren't that rare but this one is in original packaging, even has the original price tag on the back, kind of unique (I think):

Am I allowed to show this here ? Don't hate me, I'm weak and got a trade offer I couldn't resist. There are only 9 of them:

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Ray Millette
(Login raym8)

Re: Love to see some ORRs

December 12 2006, 12:50 PM 

I haven't had the chance to update this recently, but you can see the bulk of my Orr collection at this URL :

http://home.comcast.net/~RaymondMillette/BobbyOrr/menu.html

Next to the 67, this is one of my favorites :

(Login orrcards)

Ray's Orrs

December 12 2006, 1:04 PM 

Very nice Ray, impressive collection. I like that 71 too, I have a "raw" one that is in awesome shape and it looks a lot like that one, even the centering; mine is off slightly more, but to the same side:

Now that I compare the two mine looks to be off T-B as well a bit.

I have that 71 Scoring Leaders in a PSA9 too and have a look every once in awhile for a PSA9 assists leaders card to put with it; they are among my favorites too with all those Bruins in the top ten. Thanks for the look !

(Login Tiburon18)

Nice Orr's

December 12 2006, 9:13 PM 

Hey Ray that is certainly a tough example of #100 thanks for showing that to us great card. I have never seen one go on ebay!!! Dan

Ray Millette
(Login raym8)

December 12 2006, 9:24 PM 

Dan,

There are only 2 PSA 9's of the 71 OPC. The first one was orginally in a KSA 9 holder and was bought for the bargain price of $125. It was cracked and sent to PSA, came back an 8, recracked and submitted, and came back a 9. This was the first PSA 9, and it was about 6 years ago.

I foolishly sold it about 5 years ago to help finance my purchase of Gretzky rookie, and it changed hands a few times during the years, but eventually it ended up on the collection of Oynsh, who has the #1 ranking on the PSA registry for the Bobby Orr master set.

I purchased the one I have now in a private deal last year. There are 3 or 4 heavy hitters on the PSA registry for Bobby Orr cards, and I took advantage of the opportunity to purchase it privately rather than take my chances on it on ebay.

BobbyBHockey
(Login BobbyBHockey)
moderators

Orr

December 12 2006, 9:38 PM 

Al, I don't think the Orr Dad's Cookies came in a package, especially with a price. They came in packages of the cookies themselves...not cello sealed and weren't sold individually. Must be an aftermarket item..
Bobby

(Login Tiburon18)

Orr history

December 12 2006, 9:43 PM 

Hey Ray thanks very much to you for the history of the #100. Love those kind of info stories, Seems to me a few links ago we were all disses KSA about embarrasing over grades. Good for KSA on that one though!!!
As for Oynsh he has been buying all the tough Orr's the last year on ebay. Good for him it is only money. I wish I would have bought more cards instead of messing around in the stock markets!!! But that is another story,Dan

(Login orrcards)

Orr Cookie

December 12 2006, 10:07 PM 

Bobby - that was my understanding but I was also told that they were sold on the outside of the bags and on chocolate bars so the price tag could have been on the cards themselves. Mine says 7 cents which might have been the price of a bar.

BobbyBHockey
(Login BobbyBHockey)
moderators

Orr

December 12 2006, 11:14 PM 

Hey Al,
My understanding is that they were in boxes of cookies...I don't think the Hatrick Bar was even released. I don't think the cards would be on the outside of the box or bar. People do interesting things, but maybe you might have something

Dan Basso
(Login tripoli99)

more Orr

December 13 2006, 12:41 AM 

(Login hobby_stump)

December 13 2006, 2:40 AM 

Three grading companies (SGC, GAI, PSA), 1966-67 Topps Test Orr, NM-MT.

Ray Millette
(Login raym8)

December 13 2006, 7:17 AM 

Very, very nice Topps Test examples.....I'm wiping the drool off my keyboard now

(Login orrcards)

TOPPS Test RCs

December 13 2006, 8:37 AM 

Ay Carumba ! What must be three of the nicest examples there are in one post - very nice.

(Login orrcards)

More Cookies

December 13 2006, 8:44 AM 

Bobby - here is a scan of the back of mine:

Very strange, anybody remember what a chocolate bar cost in the early 70s ?

The comment about players changing teams is interesting, since they went with the NHLPA uniforms, or whatever they are. Thanks for those scans.

BobbyBHockey
(Login BobbyBHockey)
moderators

Orrs

December 13 2006, 10:01 AM 

Al,
Chocolate bars would have cost at least 10c in the 1960's and in the 1970's went up to 15cents....

I collect Canadian chocolate bar wrappers as a side gig...hehe.

Yes, I know they had the nhlpa uniforms, but the team name was below the picture, so I guess that is what the comment was.

You have a very interesting piece. Is it cello sealed, bag sealed??

Bobby

BobbyBHockey
(Login BobbyBHockey)
moderators

Love to see some ORR's

December 13 2006, 10:15 AM 

Here is the ultimate Orr collection...

(Login orrcards)

Cookies

December 13 2006, 10:19 AM 

It's kind of a hard plastic, not sure if you can see the folds in the scan; a little thinner than a top loader, say; and with some tape, maybe scotch-tape, sealing the folds. Have you ever heard of them being sold individually i.e. without the cookies ?

Love that pic on the right, where is it from ?

(Login BobbyBHockey)
moderators

Orr's

December 13 2006, 10:32 AM 

Al, it sounds to me that someone packaged this up as an aftermarket thingy. I have never heard of these being sold seperate, especially with 144 in the set.

Al, I guess you don't have a copy of my new book, all these items are in there....the picture on the right was from the front of the 1967-68 General Mills cereal box, advertising the full size pictures on the back. The bottom one was from the side panel of the box and if you could identify the child photo of one of the 5 different stars in this set, you could enter a contest for something.

Bobby

Al
(Login orrcards)

One more for Bobby

December 14 2006, 10:18 AM 

Something tells me that you might appreciate this, um, "item":

Dan Basso
(Login tripoli99)

Bobby Orr Ash tray

December 14 2006, 2:06 PM 

I don't have it scanned, but I am the proud owner of a Bobby Orr Ash tray......not that I let any smokers come near it....

Dan

Ray Millette
(Login raym8)

December 14 2006, 7:56 PM 

Just got this back from PSA this week...

(Login orrcards)

Sportscaster

December 15 2006, 9:55 AM 

Ray, so many 9s, if something came back a 10 would you be disappointed ? Just kiddin'. I had no idea that these were something that PSA would grade, BTW. Maybe I should send them my lunchbox ? Or maybe just the thermos. What is the qualifier for 35 year old dried soup ?!?!?

Ray Millette
(Login raym8)

December 15 2006, 12:07 PM 

PSA has just started to grade these within the past few months. I picked up that card raw at the Shriners show in Wilmington, MA for just a few dollars. PSA was accepting submissions at the show. It ended up costing me more to have it graded than for the card itself

(Login orrcards)

Attention Nelson

February 15 2007, 9:02 AM 

I decided to dig deep and bring back this thread when I saw that you were an Orr collector, not sure if you saw it or not when you joined up. Most of the pictures appear to be still here, check out Ray's fine collection; mais je voudrais regard ton Orr aussi s'il vous plait !

Ray Millette
(Login raym8)

February 15 2007, 9:36 AM 

The link has changed as I moved the pics under a new account.

Here is the updated link :

http://home.comcast.net/~raym8/BobbyOrr/menu.html

donald
(Login danthevintageman)

more orr stuff *oddballs*

February 15 2007, 11:37 AM 

hey guys nice graded cards. bobby orr cards are great and easy to aquire but it is great to surround them with unique oddball stuff. i have all his cards and prefer my minty cards in top loaders and a soft sleeves. graded cards are impressive but not everyone has a taste for them. i would like to see some oddball photos and i will start with this rare media bruins team issue 1966-67 rookie photo. i will add more oddball stuff later. enjoy!

Al
(Login orrcards)

February 15 2007, 6:18 PM 

Donald, those are great shots, I've never seen either of those, thanks.

Mike
(Login cobb65)

February 17 2007, 2:20 PM 

Finall! with help from Jim.

(Login orrcards)

?

February 17 2007, 9:00 PM 

What is that Mike ? Is that an Oshawa jersey ?

donald
(Login danthevintageman)

more orr stuff *oddballs*

February 17 2007, 9:14 PM 

here is one of my favourites. early 70's swiss watch with puck+stick second ticker.real cool!! hey mike that hair cut on orr in his oshawa generals uniform almost looks like the same buzz cut he has in my bruins rookie photo. must have been in his last year with the generals there?

Mike
(Login cobb65)

February 17 2007, 9:15 PM 

Yes it is an Oshawa jersey. I know the pic looks like a postage stamp but i am new to uploading pics. The file was too large on my first couple of attemps. It is an original 8 X 10 of Orr during hos junior days. I may try to post a larger pic.

(Login cobb65)

February 17 2007, 9:23 PM 

Hopefully this one is better

(Login orrcards)

February 17 2007, 9:49 PM 

That's an awesome pic, where did you find an original shot like that ?

(Login cobb65)

February 17 2007, 10:12 PM 

A friend of mine's parents were billets for the Generals in the 60s and early 70s. Wayne Cashman lived with them for a couple of years, so as a young kid he got to tag along with Wayne and his buddies. I got the pic from him years ago as he had a couple of them.

(Login orrcards)

February 17 2007, 10:15 PM 

Very nice. Would love to see an old pic of Cash from those days too.

Dan Basso
(Login tripoli99)

Parkhurst reprints

February 17 2007, 10:17 PM 

I cornered Bobby by hopping the security rope at a golf tournament for this one in the late 1990's....

(Login esb1922)

February 18 2007, 3:06 AM 

Dan,

This is really cool
What is this???????

(Login orrcards)

February 18 2007, 9:51 AM 

I have that set too Elmar (without the auto), there are 5 of them, different pics, but I can't for the life of me remember where I got them. I have an oversized one too in a frame but not sure if that isn't just a reproduction of one of the originals. That particular one I am assuming is from the junior all-star game against the Soviet nationals in 1965 or 1966.

Current Topic - Love to see some ORRs  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index