June 4th-5th 2011
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Reprints on Ebay

December 13 2006 at 12:40 PM

(Premier Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

I noticed a few reprint parkhurst sets listed that someone seems to have made themselves. It is not the first time I have seen this same seller listing this type of item. I thought there were rules about this kind of thing. Can anyone just print up a 51 Parkhurst set and list it as long as they state it's a reprint? Then there is the ksa graded Gretzky reprint. When those cards were sold ungraded, they were usually pulled, now someone decides to grade them and it's fine? Seems like a slippery slope. Jim

This message has been edited by hockey_jim on Dec 13, 2006 1:03 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login BobbyBHockey)
moderators

Reprints

December 13 2006, 2:51 PM 

Jim,
I think reprint sets no matter what year they are from, take away from the hobby and only add to the unscruplous behavior of certain sellers.

Plus, it really takes away from the desire to have the set. Take the 1962-63 Wheaties cards...a very tough set with some of the most incredible cards ever done, colour wise, design and hockey historical signifigance. Once the reprint sets came out the desire of the set was truly lessened.

Just my opinion tho. The original manufacterers should put a stop to it, ebay is just a selling tool, not a policing site, don't expect them to do it.

Bobby

bill
(Login piaz)

Re: Reprints on Ebay

December 13 2006, 4:53 PM 

why must everything be about money
if I have a reprint and don't want it slabbed
and believe it to be real then so what
it's not always about money

just kidding but what was that all about
in that other message were I just stated the obvious
and didn't mention money I was just letting that guy
know that it didn't seem right
heck maybe the 10-12 I have are all fake

bill

(Login LyleM)

Reprints on ebay

December 13 2006, 5:42 PM 

I'am quilty of buying a 1910 C56 Imperial Tobaco set a few years back. I wanted to learn a little more about the players names and the short bio on the backs. It is as close that I would ever get to the Holy grail but It was
$10 canadian and I do not think the this particular set will deter collectors from buying the vintage cards.

I have also noticed the late 50's topps and early 60's parkhurst reprint sets for sale. They seem to fetch an average of $150.00 U.S. I also wandered if it was an illegal practice.

(Login LyleM)

Reprints on Ebay

December 13 2006, 5:45 PM 

Note: the set I mentioned above was a reprint set.

Thanks, Lyle

(Login flashbacks67)

C56 reprints

December 13 2006, 10:54 PM 

Hi all, I also bought several sets of the c56 reprints. But i used them in vintage hockey themed placecards for my wedding last summer. I chose not to use 120 real ones, as the wedding was already costing a fortune.. HaHa. I will say they were a great hit and I spent most of the evening answering questions and getting comments about them. These reprints helped me educate alot of folks about vintage cards, so maybe some good came from them.

Don H

(Login flashbacks67)

sample of cards.

December 13 2006, 11:06 PM 

Cyclone Taylor never looked so good...

On the back of the card I explained about the C56's and their approx. value, if real. All of the tables were named after early NHA and NHL teams! Naturally I sat at the Lord Stanley's Cup table.

(Login rob-star)

December 13 2006, 11:15 PM 

You are a lucky man to have a women that would agree to a hockey themed wedding....

(Login flashbacks67)

Fakes on E-bay

December 14 2006, 12:19 AM 

Thanks Rob, Yes she is a very special woman.

Now on a sour note,

I hope it is okay to talk about this, as i have not mentioned dates or names, but I don't want anyone to get cheated.
I have just spotted an entire set of vintage cards being sold on E-bay that I suspect are fake. The seller is a basesball card dealer, lots of feedbacks, and he has listed each raw card in the set as "original not reprint" in his description. The back of the cards have been altered with paper loss and well placed stamps. I have handled the reprints of these cards and they have the reprint information in the middle of the card, on back,( under the stamp ) and the ink in the text is brown or brownish, very different than the black originally used. The difference is very noticable when you put a fake and original side by side. Very few reprints were made and I have never seen them on e-bay before. I am by no means the best expert, don't work for PSA ,and can't prove 100%, but what can be done? What should be done? Should I contact the bidders to let them know? Should I question the seller? Help guide me please !!I hope I have not broken rules bringing this up.
Don H

BobbyBHockey
(Login BobbyBHockey)
moderators

Reprints

December 14 2006, 6:54 AM 

Don,

I think it crucial that if you suspect unscruplous seller on ebay to post their names to save collectors from reprint diversion tactics.

On a wax pack site, we post the user names of known resealers and share this information quite readily.

Sharing this information keeps our hobby healthy but we have to be sure that the information is true and not just a hunch.

Very much like we talked about the O'Keefe Blotters, the buyer ended up leaving positive feedback, so they were the real deal!

Bobby

Don H
(Login flashbacks67)

C55's on E-bay Fake?

December 14 2006, 11:46 PM 

The cards I was speaking of are a full set of 1911 ITC C55's being sold individually on the Bay. It would be great for someone else to take a look at them and maybe help with spotting them as possible reprints that have been altered. Note the color difference on the back and the convenient stamps in the middle of card over reprint notice. If it walks like a duck........ Let me know what you think!!!
Don H

Forum Owner

December 15 2006, 12:09 AM 

Those are pretty fishy. I noticed that these are the only auctions that he mentions that the cards are original, I guess he saw it coming. This seller is knowledgable and even though I don't think I've dealt with him, he is reputable. It is a redflag that every card would have a stamp on the back and he wouldn't remove them. Jim.

Don H
(Login flashbacks67)

C55 Reprints

December 15 2006, 10:10 PM 

I found the samples of the Lancaster Reprint C55 cards that match the ones being sold on E-bay. The "Lancaster Reprint" markings are higher or lower on each card depending on how much background info was originally on the cards, and guess what.... the stamps conveniently placed on the cards move up and down on each card in just the same direction. I have sent the seller an email expressing my concerns of their authenticity and mentioned that he should check them a little more carefully, so as to not tarnish his reputation. I will let you know if I get a responce to my e-mail.

BobbyBHockey
(Login BobbyBHockey)
moderators

Reprints

December 15 2006, 10:41 PM 

Good work Don!!

Don H
(Login flashbacks67)

C55 Reprints pulled of e-bay.

December 17 2006, 8:30 PM 

The seller of the suspected reprint C55's on e-bay contacted me after I e-mailed him asking for more information. I let him know what I knew and sent him a scan of a picture off of the back of the book the reprints came with that showed pictures of the cards. He thanked me and has since pulled the cards off E-bay. Guess he didn't want to put his reputation on the line, if he was unsure.I hope I saved some buyers paying big bucks for suspect cards. Happy Holidays to all!!!
Don H

(Login Hockeyguy_49911)

December 17 2006, 11:24 PM 

Don,

Thanks for taking the time out of a business holiday schedule to protect buyers!! I have been frauded before and I wish there was more people out there like yourself, Even if you save one buyer from fraud you've still made a huge difference!

Andrew

Forum Owner

December 20 2006, 10:02 AM 

Did anyone ask for back scans of this card? It's the same seller, I'm wondering if the reprints scared off bidders on the good cards because this one went very cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270068196795&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

(Login Hockeyguy_49911)

December 20 2006, 12:15 PM 

His Marty Walsh C56 didn't go for cheap, I lost it by 75 cents, Damn!

Andy

(Login ericwag)

C56 reprints

December 26 2010, 7:24 PM 

Do you mean C56 reprints (the 1910-11 issue) or C55 reprints (1911-12)? I thought that only the C55s were reprinted by ITG.

(Login windhill)

C55 Reprints & Booklet more info, from publisher

July 10 2012, 10:09 PM 

Hi My name is Mike Alexander. I am the orginal author & publisher of the Hockey Immortals booklet and C55 reprint set. I thought this board might be interested in a brief history of the set.

The reprints were commissioned orignally by Lancaster Collectibles of Ontario who assembleed a mint set of both the C55 and C56 set and then contracted a cigarette card printer in England to print the sets. My understanding at the time was that the printer was the original printer who created the original set of C55 etc for Imperial Tobacco in 1910-11.

All of the authorized Lancaster Reprints had "A Lancaster Reprint" printed in the center of the back of each card directly above the card number, in addition the ink on the back of the reprint is a reddish-brown or sepia toned ink, the backs of the originals were all in black ink.

Lancaster printed many sets in the 1980's & 90's and sold them for many years from their collectible business in Lancaster.

As a side note the C55 set were lithos of hand painted renditions of an original full sized photo-postcard set made for Imperial Tobacco. So in a very liberal sense even the original C55 set were a reprint - but I digress.

In the early 90's I came up wth the idea of the booklet and card set as a product for the collector who wanted to know more about the origins but couldnt afford even a few of the originals. I created 10,000 sets of the Hockey Immortals booklet and C55r Card set and they were sold across North America.

In terms of the impact the booklet and reprints might have on the collectible's market: I always thought it would be positive. Not many collectors can afford the whole set as an original set but for $20 they could have: the set and the bios on all the players, the teams and leagues of the time; and a great keepsake. The Hockey Immortals booklet and C55r Card set was created and written for the hockey collector who loved the history of the game. Both my co-author, Greg Williams and I spent many hundreds of hours in research to put that booklet together. Not only did the booklet highlight the obvious superstars of the day but the contribution and stories of many obscure journeymen players were recognized and acknowledged. It was meant to be an affordable value-added set that would bring enjoyment to any lover of the game and it's history.

Despite what it says on the inside cover of the booklet only 10,000 sets were ever made of the Booklet & Cards. A second run of 10,000 booklets without the card set or the original packaging were printed and many are still available on ebay today 20 years later.

I hope that sheds some light on this set for you.

PS I still have about 30 sets of the booklet and card set left; they are now only $30 each; in addition I have about 25 uncut sheets of the C55 and C56 together for $40 each..(plus shipping!) obviously all hockey sets are reprints.. but these are the eonly known uncut sheets of any kind of this set..email me if you are interested in more info.. enjoy!

(Login SCTW)

July 10 2012, 11:20 PM 

Thanks for the info Mike. I am sure many people will appreciate the history lesson. Can you please shed more light on the hockey booklet? Is it only for the C55 set/players/collectors? Would collectors of the C56 set get as much from the hockey booklet?

Thanks!

(Login windhill)

C56 Set

July 12 2012, 11:56 AM 

The Hockey Immortal booklet focuses on the C55 card set and players of the NHA in 1910-11. The C56 set is of the previous 1909-10 players and teams. Would the booklet be of interest to a C56 collector? Well I think so, the booklet does provide info on the league structures at the time, an overview of each team in the NHA as well as other history and game info; and of course many of the players appear in both series so you would have a good view of what was happening then and who was playing.

Here's a link to a photobucket album .. NOTE: the plastic pages and cigarette card case in the photo are not available from me at this time..they are just for display ..

.. [linked image] .

hmmm can't figure out how to post the link or images form photobucket.. help anyone?

Current Topic - Reprints on Ebay  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index