June 4th-5th 2011
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Sportscard Grading

May 30 2007 at 11:47 AM
  (Login billyberu)

Hi All,

I was just wondering peoples perspective on non-professional grading of sportscards. I personally pride myself on my experience and ability to grade cards so the purchaser knows exactly what he is getting. I do this by stating the overall appearance of the card with respect mainly given to corners and edges. I then disclose all faults such as centering (which can be seen by buyer anyways), surface scratches, creases, nicks, gloss. Price asked always reflects any flaws.

If I was to cross over to a number system it would look like this!

1 = Poor
2 = Fair
3 = Good
4 = VG
4.5 = VG+
5 = EX
5.5 = EX+
6 = EM
6.5 = EM+
7 = NM
7.5 = NM+
8 = NM/MT
9 = MT
10 = GEM MT

It makes me laugh when I see these auctions on ebay where the seller grades a (lot) of cards or even a single card as EX-NRMT? What is it EX or NRMT? And then continues to write that some are better and some are worse on the lot listing. So what I get from this is the lot varies from VG to NM+? Why not say so?

EX is a grade and NRMT or NM as I call it is a grade but EX-NRMT is not a grade! There are several grades within this realm that it could be EX+,EM or EXMT, EM+.

The buying of raw cards has become quite the crapshoot and recently I have had very few purchases on ebay where the stated condition is what I received. Many errors and omissions as well never mind the grading.

Just wondering others opinions on this subject!

Cheers,

Rob

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login esb1922)

Re: Sportscard Grading

May 30 2007, 1:59 PM 

I like this eBay seller, I believe his Id is luciefavreauauctions or something like that. His listings are often like "The card has great corners, a couple of creases, etc....I grade it as 6.5"

Recently I have bought 2 raw cards which were listed as NrMt+. Both have tiny front wrinkles, pretty hard to spot. I believe that the seller didn't see them but anyway wouldn't offer a refund for cards.

Rob
(Login billyberu)

Grading

May 30 2007, 10:42 PM 

Hi Elmer,

Yes I am familiar with this seller but have yet to buy anything from them. It is unfortunate that they would not offer at least a partial refund due to their ommision.

Rob

Current Topic - Sportscard Grading  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index