THE VINTAGE HOCKEY FORUM HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT WWW.VINTAGEHOCKEYFORUM.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1971-72 opc #111 checklist over priced?

August 23 2007 at 12:14 PM

donald  (Login danthevintageman)

it puzzles me why this card is considered by many to be some what of a short printed card. the uncut sheet clearly shows it was a regular run card but yet it is worth $500 when the other checklist in the set #264 (which is the last card in the set) is only $200. i think this is the most over priced card in the hobby. shure the unmarked checklists are all going up in value every year but this one just seems a little over priced. the uncut sheet also prooves that the rumours of the #111 opc checklist is definetly not a short print as all 132 of the first series cards are on that first sheet. what do you guys think?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

Re: 1971-72 opc #111 checklist over priced?

August 23 2007, 12:17 PM 

I don't think anyone considers it a shortprint. It's just a tough checklist to find in clean shape and it is from a very popular set. Jim

donald
(Login danthevintageman)

re-1971 checklist

August 23 2007, 12:46 PM 

Jim i know it is not a short print,there are a few dealers/collectors and auctions on ebay etc... that make that claim of short printed but i know they are wrong. the #264 checklist is the last card in the set meaning it would be tougher to find in clean shape from the same popular set. so why the $300 difference?

Gilles
(Login GillesRen)

August 23 2007, 1:04 PM 

All I can add is that this OPC checklist #111 was already out of price 15 years ago at card shows. A well centered raw card in NM-MT condition was trading around $500 at the time.

I was never able to find an explanation to this.

Earl Strohmeyer
(Login strohman)

1971 OPC Checklist

August 23 2007, 3:25 PM 

I remember reading an article about this card in the Beckett magazine many years ago. It seems like they might have suggested that this was a short print card at that time. This was before grading had caught on, and the demand for that card was fierce. It seems to show up fairly often today, but the mystique remains for this card. I wondered myself recently if the prices had come down any for it, but I saw a PSA 8 just sell on eBay for over $1700!

Much like the 1954 Topps Tony Leswick. This card isn't an SP, and if you look on the pop. reports, this card has been graded more than almost every other card. There are lots of high graded copies, but since people have gotten the belief that it's a rare card, they bid high!

Good topic!

BobbyBHockey
(Login BobbyBHockey)
moderators

Good Post!

August 23 2007, 4:11 PM 

This is just another one of those cards exposed to long time rumour, heresay and popular opinion. Tough to change the hobby one card at a time but were starting to slowly.

Boy, someones gonna regret paying $1,700 for a PSA 8 one day soon.

Rob
(Login robl34)

August 24 2007, 12:03 AM 

I think the 68-69 and 69-70 checklists are much tougher. Especially the 68 121. 2 7s and 1 8. I've seen at least
8-10 71 PSA 8s over the last couple of years.

Current Topic - 1971-72 opc #111 checklist over priced?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement