THE VINTAGE HOCKEY FORUM HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT WWW.VINTAGEHOCKEYFORUM.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Flashback

September 19 2007 at 12:47 PM

BobbyBHockey  (Login BobbyBHockey)
moderators

Kinda funny, I had a cool flashback yesterday when I was walking to the store when I saw a young boy about 8 years old with his friend walking towards me and a familar sound followed...

The boy had an empty pop can on his foot, you remember, you would step on a pop can and it would crush the middle and the sides would wrap up and around your outsides of your shoe and it would stay there.

Kids don't seem to do that these days and I was instantly transported back to 1970's and remember walking to school with one of those on my foot, it was almost like you were cool doing it and other kids would want to borrow and wear it too!!

Kinda made me think back to those days and was dreaming that I wish I would have put a box of every years cards away growing up...

It's free to dream.

Bobby

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

donald
(Login danthevintageman)

flashback

September 19 2007, 1:46 PM 

hey guys remember putting your hockey cards attached to clothing pegs in the spokes of your bike rim. all us kids thought that was cool too. i never see kids do that now or even ride a friggen bike. battery operated skooters/bikes and mini gas motorcycles now. no wonder the new generation is over weight at a young age. LOL

Anonymous
(Login James_McThigh)

Re: Flashback

September 19 2007, 2:25 PM 

<<Kinda made me think back to those days and was dreaming that I wish I would have put a box of every years cards away growing up...>>

If you are speaking investment wise, I wouldn't worry about that since cards from the 70s aren't worth crap. Unless you put away like a hundred 71/72 OPC sets in gem mint condition. As for the rest of the cards from that decade, they are better off burnt.

Jim F
(Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

September 19 2007, 2:26 PM 

Hey guys. I gotta tell you, I keep hearing about the cards in the spokes stories but I do not remember any kids in my neighborhood that did that. I remember "topsies" and "farsies" but that's it. Jim.

donald
(Login danthevintageman)

flashback

September 19 2007, 2:54 PM 

jim you forgot, "closies" and "knocksies". my favourite was "scrambles" (when a kid would finish his set he no longer wanted the wad of traders in his hand so he would scream "scrambles" throw them up in the air and all of us would pick up as much as we can for free). in my neighbourhood the bike spoke thing was very common in downsview ontario. James i can not believe you think all the 70's cards are crap. if you do not want them i will gladly take them. some great cards came from the 70's!!!!

Ralph
(Login Kelly-Mascot)

HUH!!!!!

September 19 2007, 3:20 PM 

Wow all of the cards from the 70's are basicly trash?That's a new one with me,I think some really great cards & designs came from the 70's.As for the cards in bicycle spokes we did the very same thing & Bobby I remember the can thingy too as for kids & bikes today it's a rarity as they like the game consoles & other electronic gadgets.I'll tell you one thing we used to do we would play the game called flipper.The one who could flip his card the farthest won that card.If one player had a majority of the cards he could put them all in and if he flipped his card the farthest he won the cards tossed in the pile by the other players.Do you see kids doing these things today,not here I don't.Yes bobby I love to dream too as I feel like a freebird .

BobbyBHockey
(Login BobbyBHockey)
moderators

Flashback

September 19 2007, 3:20 PM 

I remember only 1 kid did that with his cards. We were more into dropies, knockies at school. An squabbles was usually when older kids would rough up the younger kids and take their cards and throw them in the air, poor kids but man, kids would run like rabbits to pick up cards when they heard that.

And James, I was referring to packs really but there are but a few pack collectors so I used cards but the 1970's cards are pretty cool anyone who doesn't like them, well.......

This message has been edited by BobbyBHockey on Sep 19, 2007 3:23 PM

Rob
(Login billyberu)

Flashback

September 19 2007, 3:50 PM 

I do remember throwing my 71-72 OPC cards up against the wall. But I cannot recall what we deemed as the winner. I think it was closest to or a leaner?

All my old stuff from when I was a kid went to a friend of mine back when I was about 15 or so. He constanly bugged me to sell them to him. So I finally gave in and off they went (~10000 cards) for a whopping $25.00. The kicker of it all is that I have yet to receive payment for them some 25+ years later. Boy I was a shrewed one back then. LOL!

I found out later that his uncle owned one of the first card shops in the Vancouver area and was getting him to coax all his friends out of their card hoards. Bugger!

Lyle M
(Login LyleM)

Flashback

September 19 2007, 5:20 PM 

I agree with the 1970's card as bieng not that bad to collect. Try putting a 1970 OPC PSA 8 set together and you quickly realize how popular this set is with hockey collectors.The 6 Orr cards, Sittler, Perrault, Clarke and Park rookies will break the bank and of course the Selby untraded card version.

Anonymous
(Login James_McThigh)

September 19 2007, 9:21 PM 

Oh dear ...

I just can't understand it when people try to collect these cheap cards in high grade. Let's say there is a card worth $50, before grading came along you could buy it in Near Mint/Mint for $50. Today people would rather have that card in a PSA 8 holder and pay $400 for it. I mean hey, they could own it in PSA 7 for around $50 as well, but nope - has to be PSA 8. Think about it, when you have nice cards you are not going to sit there examining them under a microscope! You will look at them with your naked eye and say "oh la la, very nice!" Not as if you are going to be able to tell a huge difference between each grade. I mean you do hear about cards being resubmitted and bumped up in grade , right? And how dealers often receive higher grades since they submit more? Just goes to show you that people these days are collecting labels and not cards.

Jim F
(Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

September 19 2007, 9:22 PM 

James. I've always wanted to ask you, do you even collect cards? Jim.

Anonymous
(Login James_McThigh)

September 19 2007, 9:40 PM 

Yes Sir, I do.

donald
(Login danthevintageman)

"but james"

September 19 2007, 9:54 PM 

but james-"each to there own". this is the wrong place to put down 70's cards or any other vintage cards. you do not here us whine on how pathetic guys are buying the new shiny stuff like you do. come on $3000 for some of the short print crosby rookies,dont get me wrong i think he is a fantastic player but you never know with the future if he turns into another alexander daigle then what happens to that $3000. with todays modern cards the companys like upper crap make the card rare by putting a pathetic little short print number on the card. this is an example of "each to there own". if you know new stuff go to the beckett forums. do not come here whining about how us vintage guys collect or say 70's cards suck.

This message has been edited by danthevintageman on Sep 19, 2007 10:02 PM

Anonymous
(Login James_McThigh)

September 19 2007, 11:44 PM 

Donald, when did I ever say I collect modern cards? I once started a thread discussing the arrival of game-used cards in our market, that's pretty much it.

And hey, at least you can gamble with modern cards. It's like the stock market. Let's say Penguins win a cup, or maybe two. You're telling me Crosby's cards won't be on fire? And the excitement of watching these players in action.

What about some player from the 1970s? You think his card is going to skyrocket in 5 years? 10 years? Nope. Maybe a couple hundred dollars here and there, but you call that investing? I found an old Beckett issue from 1995, and the cards from the disco days have not changed much. Then again, that is unless you can somehow get PSA to give your $20 card a 10 GEM MINT. Good luck!

Note: I collect vintage cards. But if any of you have been offended by what I've said about 70s cards(like our friend Donald here), I apologize.

This message has been edited by James_McThigh on Sep 20, 2007 11:51 AM

donald
(Login danthevintageman)

another idiot --james mcthigh

September 19 2007, 11:56 PM 

::Just------------------------------uncontrollably. LOL!:: "one thing i do not except from no one is personal coments. i would much appreciate if you edit this rediculous comment off your post."

This message has been edited by danthevintageman on Sep 20, 2007 1:21 PM

Jim F
(Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

September 20 2007, 12:15 AM 

Donald. Edit the swearing out of your post.

McThigh. You repeatedly say alot of stupid stuff that is out of line. Your comment was very dis-tasteful and uncalled for. Grow up. Consider this warning #1. Jim.

Ralph
(Login Kelly-Mascot)

Again,HUH!!!!!!

September 20 2007, 9:14 AM 

James the problem you don't understand is we collect cards for the passion not the money.I could care less if my cards are high value cards.Another note remember whatever go's up must come down.In other words Orr & Gretzky are the two best to ever lace 'em up look at their card values,you think Crosby's rookie card will be worth more than the 66-67 Topps Test issue or the 71-72 Bazooka for that matter,I truly know it won't.These two have already made their mark on the sport while our young friend Crosby has just begun & his career could end with a hit etc......(Which I hope does not happen) You see my point? If you don't then may I suggest you study the markets for all collectibles & the shiny new stuff is Junk as the newness wears off & you go after the next card & the next & so on.Collecting vintage cards of one player is more fun & just as challenging & I decided I would hunt down all of Orr's cards but I am stopping at his last issue his TCMA card as for the new Orr cards they just don't tickle my fancy.Just my two cents.

donald
(Login danthevintageman)

flashback

September 20 2007, 9:24 AM 

jim out of respect for you and this forum i did edit my swearing. i would also like to see james edit his comment as well. i do not take personal comments lightly. i am shure no one else likes personal comments.

Lyle M
(Login LyleM)

flashback

September 20 2007, 9:34 AM 

Opps, I forgot to mention the populariity of the 1971 OPC set with the Lafleur,Dryden and Dionne rookies and its great card design. Yeah, the 70's are popular with collectors. I collect these (as well as the 50's and 60's) because it is my era growing up and trust me I'am not alone, just follow the auctions. Great era, players, and cards to collect.

Al
(Login orrcards)

September 20 2007, 9:47 AM 

Ralph, it's quite obvious that passion is not the only reason that people collect cards - see today's other post, for example. Despite what they may say, anyone who pays $1000+ for a no-name card from the '70s is interested in one of two things - money/investment i.e. resale value; or ego i.e. I have something you don't. Not that there's anything wrong with either reason but IMO it has nothing to do with a passion for the game of hockey.

Maybe it's a pet peeve of mine, but quite often I see, as in your post, the "passion argument" followed by a comment on the value of the relative cards. If someone is passionate about hockey then what is wrong with them being passionate about the best young player that the game has seen since maybe Gretzky and wanting to collect his cards ? I would also argue that from an investment perspective Crosby's RCs might in fact be an excellent one, as he may well end up being the best that ever laced 'em up. I'm sure there were doubts with respect to Gretzky too in 1979, but I wish I had loaded up on his RCs then. Sure Sid's career may end in an injury, but you can't have an investment without risk. And I am sure that if he ends up breaking Gretzky's records that his "best", short-printed, i.e. scarce RCs will have proven to be a good investment

I guess I get a kick out of posters who look with disdain on collectors of modern cards but exhibit what seems to be similar behavior when it comes to their vintage.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement