June 4th-5th 2011
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Exchange Rate

September 29 2007 at 8:59 PM
  (Login strohman)

For the first time since I have been collecting cards, the Canadian Dollar is equal to the U.S. Dollar. This won't impact me since most Canadian dealers sell cards in U.S. dollars, but does this open up the market even more to Canadian buyers? (Even though Canadian collectors already buy the majority of the hockey cards sold on eBay.)

Will this benefit dealers or collectors the most?

Earl

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ray V
(Login rayvan)

exchange

September 29 2007, 10:15 PM 

As a collector in Canada and with eBay auctions in US$, I can afford to place higher bid amounts. I guess that benefits both myself and the seller, but only if the seller is in the US. I'm spending the same amount (or less) in CDN $ that I always was but I'm winning more auctions; and the seller (if located in the US) benefits because I am placing higher bids in US$.

The person taking the hit on the exchange rate is the Canadian eBay seller running auctions in US$.

Joe
(Login JOE-1)

Re: Exchange Rate

September 29 2007, 10:44 PM 

Bet your bottom dollar, 99.9% of the bids will be from North of the Border, that's unless a clueless seller makes it difficult for the Canuck bids ie: overcharges on shipping, states they won't fudge the customs sticker or says they won't ship outside the USA.

BTW .......

Canadian dollar closes above par

September 29, 2007
CANADIAN PRESS

The Canadian dollar closed above parity with the U.S. dollar yesterday for the first time since late November 1976, rising 0.66 cent to 100.52 cents US.

The dollar hit parity on an intraday basis Sept. 20 for the first time in almost 31 years because of higher commodity prices, especially oil, strong Canadian economic performance and weakness in the U.S. dollar, said George Davis of RBC Capital Markets.

Davis added that interest rates also factored into the loonie's rise. He said that RBC expects the loonie to go as high as $1.03 US in the fourth quarter.

Rob
(Login billyberu)

US Sellers

September 29 2007, 11:01 PM 

Joe,

Never understood that myself...why a US seller would not sell to Canadian's especially when he is selling vintage hockey. dslsports comes to mind...great vintage hockey but will not sell to Canadians. His realized prices reflect this practice. I guess he does not like money LOL!

(Login JOE-1)

September 29 2007, 11:28 PM 

newenglandsportscards / 4sharpcorners also comes to mind .... they could easily double their $$$$$$$ just by changing their business practices!!

donald
(Login danthevintageman)

buy a car

September 29 2007, 11:44 PM 

hey guys,i cant wait to go to the usa on monday and buy a car. my canuck dollar will actually be better than the usa dollar saving me money and the friggen prices in canada for a car is thousands of dollars more on any car than it is south of the border!!! soon we will start to see the "C" in front of the dollar on ebay more often as i sell stuff with canadian dollars now. it shure is a shame about a lot of usa dealers not selling to canadians as we shure have more money than they do when it comes to hockey cards!!!

Dan Basso
(Login tripoli99)

what is paypal charging??

September 30 2007, 12:30 AM 

sure, the CDN dollar is officially at par with the USD dollar, but have any Canadians used paypal lately? It would interesting to hear what rate Paypal is charging...

Damir
(Login DamirTomicic)

September 30 2007, 12:58 AM 

Donald, from what I understand when you export a car from the states to Canada there are taxes and fees applied that can be in the thousands of dollars depending what kind of car you get. You also have to convert your odometer into kilometers and have day time running lights installed at your expense. I don't know if it's really worth it since all costs add up tremendously. I planned on doing this next summer but will not when I found out what I will have to pay to get my car exported there. They make you jump through hoops to get your car up there.

I'm not sure if you are serious about the car or just using it as an example, but I figured I would post this to help out. Thanks.

Earl Strohmeyer
(Login strohman)

Car Exports

September 30 2007, 1:03 AM 

I was thinking the same thing about buying a car in the U.S. and driving it back to Canada. It works the same way here if you go out of state to buy a new car. If you go to a state with lower sales taxes, or no sales tax, you save money! But once you register the car in your home state, you have to pay that sales tax that they charge.

As for the Day Time Running Lights, lots of cars in the U.S. have them standard now. It would be easy to find that option already installed.

Good Luck with the car purchase!

donald
(Login danthevintageman)

car exporting

September 30 2007, 9:24 AM 

sorry guys should have made my statement more clear. i was refering to an antique car that i am going to buy. now is the best time to buy the old muscle cars etc... you guys are right there are a lot of fees but as far as the new cars-depending what price range car you buy you definetly will save money just the same. friend of mine bought a 2007 corvette z06 and after all the adjustments and fees he did save close to $10,000 dollars. so really the higher the price of a car is the more you save. so it is still worth the hasle.

(Login Kelly-Mascot)

HMmmmmmmmm

September 30 2007, 9:35 AM 

Joe as for what you stated about Americans fudging the customs slip.If your saying the value declared as gift,merchandise & Other,I certainly won't fudge it either as it is against the law & the person who would be in trouble is the seller.If you bid on any of my auctions it will clearly state that the high bid will be what is declared as merchandise & not as a gift.There was an article about this in one of the hockey pubs. I forget which one.I am not trying to bring any of you fine Canadians down as I love Canada & I have never had a problem with anyone.I do this with other bidder's from other countries as well.Being an American it does not bother me to see this as I knew it would happen sooner or later.I still Love Canada & you guys are NUMERO UNO
Regards,
Ralph.

Joe
(Login JOE-1)

September 30 2007, 10:21 AM 

Ralph ...re: fudging the customs slip ......

against the law ?? LOLLOL .... of course it is, WHO do you think made the law ??

I think the magic number is $20.00 anything above that is subject to tax's, not to mention delays and considerable costs depending on the value.

I'm sure there's plenty of horror stories in regards to the above ......

(Login strohman)

Customs Slips

September 30 2007, 11:12 AM 

Personally, I have no problem helping out my fellow collectors in Canada by lowering the value on the customs slip. But I'm not a full time dealer. I'm just a collector who sometimes sells a few cards to help me raise cash for more cards.

The only thing that bothers me is in reference to PayPal. If I sell a high dollar card and the card gets lost in the mail, the buyer can file a claim with PayPal. When PayPal asks me for proof of shipment and I show them a form listing the value as $20, when the buyer paid me $500 or more, it's going to be hard to win that claim. I love the convenience of PayPal, but I don't like the fees and I worry about the potential for claims.

It's still a catch 22 with PayPal on eBay. As a buyer I love it, but as a seller, I'm not as crazy about it.

Rob
(Login billyberu)

Car Purchase in US

September 30 2007, 11:38 AM 

Hi,

Responding to the Canadian resident purchasing a vehicle in the US all that is required is day time running lights legally (Block heater will usually have to be installed). The vehicle does not require the change to km/hr as main as long as it has it on the dial(unless vintage as they do not have dual).

You do not pay any duty as long as the vehicle is made in the US (Which is most). You will incure other fees such as GST (6%) PST 8%(except Alberta). Air conditioning tax ($100) and a flat fee of $207 at the border for paperwork and transferring the VIN.

Processing fees at the dealer are only $35-40 (as opposed to Canada where they are $400-500 LOL)

I have 2 co-workers that just purchased a Toyota Tacoma from Seattle and drove them back to Edmonton, Alberta with 1 saveing $10,000 and the other saving $8000. This difference is due to options and ones negotiating skills.

The futher you go into the states the better the deal as well.

One think to note is that they have shut the border down on most makes and there is presently a class action suit that was just filed to stop this shut down. Which in my opinion is illegal due to NAFTA and free trade.

ie. Tacoma in Canada $45,000. Tacoma in US$ after all tases,fees $35,000

brian
(Login brian1martin)

customs

September 30 2007, 1:25 PM 

From the US, just ship Registered Mail declaring the parcel a gift with a value of $50 or less. No customs fees.

donald
(Login danthevintageman)

paypal

September 30 2007, 9:03 PM 

earls statement---"It's still a catch 22 with PayPal on eBay. As a buyer I love it, but as a seller, I'm not as crazy about it."+++++++++++1 ****** i totally agree with earls statement about paypal. i have said it before and i will say it again. paypal is only great for buyers but it has no protection for sellers doing cross border sales as paypal does not take sides with the seller on claims. this already happened to me this year. a buyer bought an item from me in the usa and i was in canada----he used the regular mail option then claimed with paypal he did not recieve the item and paypal took the money from my paypal account because i had no mailing proof and the buyer got his money back. the ebay buyer was scamming so many people on ebay that he finally got caught and kicked off ebay "real nice-get the item for free and your money back when you use paypal". i now offer free shipping to americans on my auctions if they pay me with a money order because i hate paypal so much for what they did to me,i rather pay the shipping myself than be screwed by paypal again,plus there fees most of the time is a lot higher than what my shipping charges are!!! just venting!!!

Damir
(Login DamirTomicic)

September 30 2007, 10:11 PM 

Donald, doesn't registered mail have a tracking number? That's what I always use when sending to Canada. Never had a problem.

donald
(Login danthevintageman)

re exchange

September 30 2007, 10:22 PM 

damir yes it does but i used to have options in my auctions on what shipping to choose and most guys would use regular shipping. but i have now added in my description for shipping that i will not take paypal unless the buyer uses registered mail if paying with paypal. this way i am protected and i can not get screwed by paypal again as i will have proof.

FRANK
(Login B.S.SC)

September 30 2007, 11:05 PM 

What go's up must come down but this is nutz now's the time to go over and buy.

frank

fessgreg
(Login fessgreg)

the exchange rate

October 13 2007, 8:46 AM 

this is an old thread but the exchange rate is now 1.0301 on yahoo. i'm a collector of very high grade hockey cards. i wonder how many collectors are from Canada for the kind of stuff i own and has this exchange rate helped the price of my cards. just a thought. i enjoy reading the forum good luck to all of you guys. signed fessgreg

(Login billyberu)

Exchange Rate

October 13 2007, 11:42 AM 

Greg,

I beleive the only advantage you have gained with the exchange rate being where it is is that collector's here in Canada have a greater buying power so you may realize a higher $$.

I can only speak for myself but in the past when purchasing cards in US$ I always converted Canadian to US$ before the purchase thus my buying power was at 0.6 to 0.7. Now it is at par or better.

To sum it up most Hockey collectors are from Canada so you could realize higher $$ in an auction format IMO.

Cheers,

Rob

Current Topic - Exchange Rate  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index