THE VINTAGE HOCKEY FORUM HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT WWW.VINTAGEHOCKEYFORUM.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New additions to my collection!

July 23 2008 at 9:43 AM
Jeescy  (Login Jeescy)

I got these last weekend:

I'm really happy to finally own a Cyclone Taylor RC, as it had always been my dream card! I hope I can upgrade my copy someday! I really like the C57 Taylor too, since I don't remember seeing one on eBay ever since I started searching for cards of Cyclone Taylor a couple of months ago...

I was thinking about crossing those 3 cards to SGC, since they're mostly for my personal collection and I like the SGC slabs better. Would I get less if I were to try selling one of them later on if it's in an SGC slab? I mean, a grade of 1 is a grade of 1, right?

Also, could you guys give me an approximate value for the 2 Taylors? I traded modern cards for them, so I think I got a pretty good deal, but what range of value could I expect if I were to sell them (even though I don't intend to right now)?

Thanks!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
John Nguyen
(Login JNguyen)

Pre-War Hockey

July 23 2008, 10:15 AM 

Congratulations. In my opinion, trading modern cards for vintage is almost always a good thing. Although many would agree regarding the aesthetic superiority of the SGC holder, PSA cards tend to have a higher re-sale value (mostly due to the Set Registry). SGC is gaining grounds on PSA as more and more people are fed up with customer service issues, the 0.5 grade change, etc.

Actually, not all PSA 1's and SGC 10/1's are the same. Paper loss, wrinkles (some easy, some not so easy to find), creases, cardboard loss can dramatically change the overall attractiveness of a card. Moreover, back damage can sometimes be the only thing that brings an otherwise VG, VG-EX or even EX card down to POOR. It truly depends on what you like, can accept and can afford.

According to VintageCardPrices.com, a PSA 1 C56 Cyclone Taylor sold for $260 in 12/07. I would estimate $250-$350. A PSA 1 C56 Joe Cattarinich sold for $52 in 4/08. The C57 Taylor is more difficult to pin down. Based on the discoloration and creases that yours has, I would estimate $150-$250. The C56's have a lot of eye appeal with a difficult-to-see crease going through both faces.

Welcome to the world of pre-war vintage hockey and good luck in increasing your collection.

This message has been edited by JNguyen on Jul 23, 2008 10:16 AM

aro13
(Login aro67)

re: New additions to my collection!

July 23 2008, 11:07 AM 

Nice pick-ups that Cattarinich looks awfully nice for a 1.

I do not think the holder is going to matter very much for the price of the Taylor cards - if you like the look of the SGC holder better you could cross them over. With the Cattarinich you might get a bump to a 1.5.

Jason
(Login kehfee)

Re: New additions to my collection!

July 23 2008, 12:27 PM 

Nice cards. I have a C55 Taylor but its time to get a C56 methinks.

Depending on the back of that Jos. I think he's prime for SGC 20 (1.5) upgrade.

Jeescy
(Login Jeescy)

July 23 2008, 12:29 PM 

Thanks for the helpful comments, I really appreciate!

Actually, not all PSA 1's and SGC 10/1's are the same. Paper loss, wrinkles (some easy, some not so easy to find), creases, cardboard loss can dramatically change the overall attractiveness of a card. Moreover, back damage can sometimes be the only thing that brings an otherwise VG, VG-EX or even EX card down to POOR. It truly depends on what you like, can accept and can afford.

What I meant is that the grade couldn't change negatively by crossing the cards to SGC, since they're already graded 1. I understand that not all cards graded 1 look similar and that some look much more attractive than others though.

Mark Holt
(Login mark927)

July 23 2008, 9:01 PM 

Ditto to what John said (I keep doing that, have to get online earlier). If you don't plan on selling soon cross them if you like the SGC holders better. For resale check out the two Registries - I believe there are over 25 c56 PSA sets registered and just a couple SGC. The Registry competition drives PSA pricing but I agree that the SGC slabs are nicer looking.

Earl Strohmeyer
(Login strohman)

Cyclone Taylor

July 26 2008, 8:30 PM 

Cyclone is one of my favorite players from the pre-war era. I bought one of his rookies nearly 2 years ago, and it was a card I had been wanting for years.

Congrats on trading modern cards for early vintage! I was able to make a nice trade for vintage cards once. I traded a group of 80's OPC raw rookies for a C55 Malone and 1933 OPC Busher Jackson. The 80's rookies were easy to replace, but I graded the 2 cards and got a PSA 2 for the Malone and PSA 4 for the Jackson. I eventually traded the Malone, but I still have the Jackson. I would make trades like that all day long if it were possible!

I agree that being a PSA 1, you don't have to worry about the cards going down in grade if you cross them to SGC. PSA cards do sell for higher prices, but if you plan to keep these cards then it won't matter. I honestly don't think it will affect the price as much as if it was graded PSA 4 or 5.

Congrats on the nice pickups!

James
(Login James_McThigh)

July 27 2008, 2:09 AM 

Taylor looks like a gangster in that C57 card. If I ran into a guy like that at night in some alley, I'd run.

Btw, nice cards.

Anonymous
(Login esb1922)

July 28 2008, 7:33 PM 

Not really James, look at this

Jeescy
(Login Jeescy)

July 28 2008, 10:45 PM 

He looks more badass on my copy, he looks like he has scars and stuff. hahaha

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement