THE VINTAGE HOCKEY FORUM HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT WWW.VINTAGEHOCKEYFORUM.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Beliveau RC chased down!

February 12 2009 at 9:10 AM
Ted Ormiston  (Login TedOrmiston)

Whoopee:I know this won't excite a lot of you guys who specialize in PSA 7's & 8's but it sure made my day. I am a notorious penny pincher and part of my enjoyment in collecting is seeing if I can get the cards for my collection by staying within a pre-determined price boundary. I do occasionally dis-regard those boundaries and yesterday was one of those days. I got an early start on E-bay and stumbled across the 53/54 Parkhurst RC of Jean Beliveau. It was a PSA 4 and was a little above the amount I had slotted for it and it was a "Buy it now" so I grabbed it. Actually I have lost this card many, many times on E-bay and seen it go for quite a lot more than what I paid for it. Now I only have to corral the Boivin card in this set and I can put it to bed. So give an attaboy if you get a chance as I work my way towards the completion of a few more sets. You all have a great day. I did! Ted

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dan Basso
(Login tripoli99)

nice, nothing wrong with a PSA 4!

February 12 2009, 12:31 PM 

post a pic when you get a chance

amcclure
(Login jammcclure)

Re: Beliveau RC chased down!

February 12 2009, 4:35 PM 

good day , long time reader of forum ,first time responder .

I saw an obituary the other day in Toronto Star for a Leo Boivin . Age seemed right but no mention of carreer and saw nothing in sports page . ??

Earl Strohmeyer
(Login strohman)

Congrats!

February 12 2009, 4:48 PM 

I agree with Dan--nothing wrong with a PSA 4! Especially since you are building a complete set with a specific grade range. Just being within 1 card of completing a set is always exciting. The problem is, the last card can take months or longer to show up!

Post a pic of the card when you get a chance. The Beliveau rc is such an important card from that era! I understand why you are excited to finally get one.

Good luck finding that Boivin!

Ted Ormiston
(Login TedOrmiston)

Beliveau RC corraled!

February 12 2009, 6:27 PM 

Earl:You are exactly correct on that comment about getting the last card to complete a set. While a lot of the time it may be the hardest card in the set I've had just as many or more that actually should have been pretty easy but weren't. While I do collect most of the vintage sets I also collect most of the sets in the 90's and some of those were down right mysterious. I know we all have great stories in our collecting exploits. Here's one I've got to pass on. Don't know how many of you may be familiar with Mike Sopher who is an E-bay seller based in Canada. I've gotten many cards from him and have found him to be an excellent source of cards. I won a card from him in early December and when it didn't arrive in a month I contacted him and he assured me that he had sent it out as soon as he received my paypal payment. We've had unusually warm weather this week and all the snow has melted. The other day when I went out to get our newspaper I saw an envelope laying in the ditch. I picked it up and it was addressed to me. I took it inside and it was the card that Mike Sopher had sent me. Evidently the mail lady had gotten a little careless and the envelope had lain under the snow for a while. Mike had mailed the card in one of those plastic envelopes that seem to come mostly from Canada. He had also enclosed the card in one of those fold over plastic top loaders. The card showed absolutely no ill effects from exposure and since there are only 100 of that particular card I was exceeding happy about that. I'd be glad to read about unusual experiences from anyone else in this forum. Ted

fessgreg
(Login fessgreg)

i got one

February 14 2009, 11:32 PM 

hi, glad you got the card. why don't you post a pic. i don't collect sets but i got one too. hope to see yours soon. signed fessgreg

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement