THE VINTAGE HOCKEY FORUM HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT WWW.VINTAGEHOCKEYFORUM.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Thank you PSA

September 11 2009 at 4:39 PM
  (Login TedOrmiston)

Well fellas:I'm sitting here looking at a 60/61 Topps card #20 All Time Greats card of Eddie Shore. Now normally I won't bid on anything graded by PSA less than a "3" but when I saw this card on E-bay and saw it was graded "GOOD +, 2.5 and I looked at the scan it sure looked nicer than that. I'm sitting here looking at it with a magnifying glass and I believe the PSA grader must have been suffering from a hangover. This card looks closer to a "6" to me than a 2.5 and I thought the grading wasn't supposed to be as harsh on the older vintage cards. It has been my experience that most of the cards I've come across from this set suffer easily from all the things that can usually detract from their appearance. This card has no creases, no writing, no paper loss and, in fact, three of the corners are very square with the fourth one being only slightly rounded. I'd sure hate to be the guy who paid PSA to grade this card. I'm sure the 2.5 grade kept my competition down for this card. I've got a 54/55 Topps card also graded by PSA and it got a "2" and I was pretty puzzled by that one, too. Hope you all have been having a wonderful time in this hobby. Ted

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jim
(Login jimrad)

Re: Thank you PSA

September 11 2009, 5:19 PM 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ! It does looked warped??
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

(Login TedOrmiston)

Warped? I don't think so

September 12 2009, 12:28 PM 

Jim:I've got the card in my hand and it certainly doesn't look warped. Must be your monitor. There's another card on E-bay right now that doesn't look nearly as nice as this one and it's starting bid is $49, which is a lot more than I paid for this one. Ted

Fred
(Login rocket9richard)

PSA grading

September 12 2009, 1:07 PM 

As far as corners and centering, the card looks great to me. The only question is about the card being flat? From the scan, it looks like there could be a wave in it. Also, we don't get to see the back. PSA graders are far from perfect (see examples bellow), they sometimes make a 0.5 or 1 grade difference if you send the same card a second time, I guess it depends on the grader, his mood, how many cards and wich cards he has graded previously! But there is a lot of difference between a 2.5 and a 6 and I would be surprise with such a big mistake from them.

I've sent a 1910 card that came as trimed and got a 4.5 the second time. I've also sent a 1955 that came as recolored and got a 7 the second time. I've seen some 1955 Quakers Oats graded as Parkhurst. Finaly, the best one, my friend sent 3 Mario Lemieux rookies and they all got 8. 1 came back graded with a pd (printing defect), but the real card with the pd got an 8, and a perfect card was placed in the pd holder. They switched the cards in the sealing process I suppose.

For this 1960-61 Topps card, the main thing is that you're happy with the card and the price you paid. If you really think it deserves a 6, you can always break the holder and sent it again to them or another grading company...It's always fun to test them and see how consistent they are with the grading

Fred

Current Topic - Thank you PSA  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement