June 4th-5th 2011
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Crossover Struggles

October 15 2009 at 9:29 PM
Earl Strohmeyer  (Login strohman)

I have always had good luck crossing over SGC cards to PSA at the same grade level, until now. I have a 1962 Topps Larry Cahan SGC 96 that I tried to cross over to a PSA 9. I sent it in to PSA with a minimum grade of 9, but it came back ungraded. I called PSA and asked if they kept track of cards that they denied. The CSR told me that they didn't keep any record, so that I could resubmit the same card again. I just found out that the card was denied again! I looked over the card very carefully to make sure that there weren't any flaws that I missed earlier, but I couldn't find any. Even the centering is very strong, so I don't know what the problem is.

This is the first time that I have had this much problem crossing over an SGC card.

Has anyone else ever had a high grade SGC card that just wouldn't cross over?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

DAN
(Login danthevintageman)

Re: Crossover Struggles

October 15 2009, 10:53 PM 

should of left the card in the SGC holder.
sorry earl i just think SGC is way better than PSA in grading.
maybe PSA is developing a form of jealousy and envy and they dont want to re grade SGC cards.
i understand that from a sellers stand point that you may get better money for your card if it is in a PSA slab but if your a collector i think if you have a SGC graded card,just leave it in that SGC holder.as time goes on SGC gets stronger and stronger in the respect they get in the hobby.
just my 2 cents.

Anonymous
(Login robl34)

October 17 2009, 8:23 PM 

Many problems. I won't buy SGC on the basis that it will cross. Especially 9s. Big fan of PSA but they aren't perfect.
That being said I still buy SGC if I want the card.

Anonymous
(Login frozencaribou)

October 18 2009, 12:32 PM 

Crack it and it might get a 10. PSA is notorious for not grading crossovers fairly. That said, I think it would be harder to judge a card without holding it. Just think of all those cards that look great in display cases but have hidden flaws.

Nathanael

Anonymous
(Login robl34)

October 18 2009, 1:51 PM 

I guess it all points to the fact that even people that grade cards for a living can have a different opinion on a cards grade.

Dan Basso
(Login tripoli99)

was it still in the SGC holder still?

October 18 2009, 6:01 PM 

I had great 'luck' in crossing over to PSA but I sent them in raw...

Earl Strohmeyer
(Login strohman)

SGC

October 18 2009, 9:43 PM 

I got the card back from PSA again--still in the SGC holder. I could crack it and submit it and see what happens. If it comes back a PSA 9, great, but if it comes back a PSA 8, then I spent double what I should have. Most of my 1962 Topps set is PSA 8, but I have a few 9's in the set too.

If it was a KSA card, I would definitely crack it, but I used to have great luck submitting SGC cards.

(Login Philhaz)

October 18 2009, 10:07 PM 

It's hard to make an opinion without seeing the card. Maybe the border is a little blemish? or the focus is somewhat fuzzy?
Is PSA really unfair? maybe yes, maybe no. Can you submit a scan of the card ?

(Login aro67)

re: Crossover Struggles

October 19 2009, 9:47 PM 

Earl - I have never had a problem crossing over SGC cards to PSA in the holder. The only way I would crack it out, is if I was prepared to submit it more than once to get a 9.

Current Topic - Crossover Struggles  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index