THE VINTAGE HOCKEY FORUM HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT WWW.VINTAGEHOCKEYFORUM.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

US seller collecting CDN taxes

December 16 2009 at 5:20 PM
  (Login tripoli99)

Does anyone have any experience with a US ebay seller charging CDN taxes? I have asked for his CDN tax numbers, but of course no reply yet.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230409572112&ssPageName=ADME:L:CORT:CA:1123

I've dealt with this guy before...I think he operates out of Vancouver Washington, but also has some connection to Victoria BC.....

either way, I don't want to pay him taxes, then have CDA customs demand the same from me (again)...

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Earl Strohmeyer
(Login strohman)

Taxes

December 16 2009, 5:49 PM 

Since the seller says that he lives in the U.S., I can't see him charging Canadian taxes. I would contact eBay about this one if I were the high bidder. It just doesn't make any sense, and he isn't charging taxes from the U.S.

I would like to know the reason behind this one. I wonder if he lives in Canada but ships from the U.S. If he is a full time seller he might pay taxes in Canada, but I don't see the big sellers charging taxes. We all know of big sellers who sell thousands of dollars worth of cards each week, but they don't charge taxes.

Sounds fishy!

Rob Ritchie
(Login billyberu)

Taxes

December 17 2009, 12:34 PM 

Hi Dan,

I have seen this guys auctions before as well and do not know his story. If he is unwilling or does not forward you with his tax #'s then he is probably scamming extra $$. I would report him to both eBAY and Canada Customs. That's you my 5% and 7%. happy.gif

Rob

Dan Basso
(Login tripoli99)

thanks for the comments, guys

December 17 2009, 1:37 PM 

I'll give you an update when I get(if) the card......and I don't know if he's a member on this board

Anonymous
(Login GillesRen)

Fishy...

December 18 2009, 7:12 AM 

Hi Dan,

I've dealt with him a couple of times in the past.

Yes, he has nice vintages for sale.

I also got pinched with his sales tax because I'm a canadian buyer,
on top of extra S&H fees compare to US buyers. There were no Customs
taxes added, fortunately, otherwise I would have jumped on the ceiling, lol!

Since I didn't receive any tax number (the seller has to provide one if
he collects it), I suspect foul play.

The bottom line: I didn't like it and stopped participating at his auctions
because I feel his business process is unfair towards canadian buyers.

Anonymous
(Login frozencaribou)

Hear, Hear!

December 18 2009, 6:49 PM 

I'm glad this seller's taxes/customs policies have come up on our board.

Quote from his listings:
"All cards will be shipped from Vancouver, Washington...Canadian buyers are subject to 5% GST and buyers from the Province of British Columbia are subject to 7% PST."

I bought a $200 card from this guy about 6 months ago. I paid the GST and $13 shipping and then the $15 customs charge. When I questioned him about the GST he said his terms were clearly explained in the listing and he didn't have to explain himself any further.

Bottom line, it cannot be possible for a seller to collect Canadian GST and PST and then ship his cards from the US with custom forms that clearly indicate customs import taxes should be applied to the very same transaction.

The seller did not supply any CCRA #, so it is my belief that he is pocketing the GST and PST.

One final thing- he shipped the card via regular USPS, which costs about $2, and pocketed the rest of the $13 shipping fee.

I hope he gets what is coming to him.

Earl Strohmeyer
(Login strohman)

Taxes

December 19 2009, 1:51 PM 

I wonder why this seller only collects taxes from Canadians. Are most of his buyer's Canadian or is it just easier to get away with it since eBay is an American company and might be stricter on someone collecting taxes from Americans?

(Login beezer12)

Re: US seller collecting CDN taxes

December 19 2009, 1:54 PM 

Call Revenue Canada. You'll get the answer to your question as to whether these practices are legit/legal. Who knows, they may even ask for his user ID...... hehe

Dan Basso
(Login tripoli99)

so , rec'd the card today

December 23 2009, 4:01 PM 

I didn't want to comment any further until I got the card....You never know who is lurking on these boards.

I asked seller twice to give me a reason for tax request, or to supply me with tax numbers. He ignored both these requests. Did you notice how difficult ebay makes it if you are trying to contact seller?

I did get a reminder notice to pay him, and the new calculation was WITHOUT the taxes, so I paypal'ed him the revised amount.

Rec'd card today, and I didn't pay the taxes. His requesting Canadian taxes from CDN buyers is somewhat borderline illegal....I'm not going to bother contacting ebay, because we know that will go nowhere....they aren't the CDN tax authority anyway.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Earl Strohmeyer
(Login strohman)

Taxes

December 24 2009, 5:28 PM 

I'm glad to hear that everything worked out for you! Maybe it would be a good thing if the seller was reading this thread. If he read the comments from a lot of potential bidders, he might have realized that he would make more by not trying to charge those taxes. We all know how much of an impact 1 extra bidder can have on the final price of an auction.

All's well that ends well!

Dan Basso
(Login tripoli99)

the saga continues

December 28 2009, 2:49 PM 

now the seller is asking me to pay the taxes..."why didn't you pay the taxes" (paypal sent a revised invoice with the lesser amount, which amount do you think I was going to pay?)

He has provided me with a GST number so I guess the request is legit...he must have had some interaction with the tax authorities in the past..

Earl Strohmeyer
(Login strohman)

To Pay or NOT To Pay?

December 28 2009, 8:21 PM 

So what are you going to do?
This sure is a strange story! I figured that he had backed down when he sent you the revised invoice, but to ask for the taxes now is crazy!

Dan Basso
(Login tripoli99)

yeah, not only did I pay the taxes, I bought from him

December 28 2009, 9:46 PM 

again on ebay tonight. He provided a proper tax number for GST. He uses both US and Canadian addresses.

(Login baseballart)

Re: US seller collecting CDN taxes

December 30 2009, 9:00 AM 

If a seller provides a GST number, a purchaser can check its validity on the CRA website athttp://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/tx/bsnss/gsthstrgstry/menu-eng.html

If the seller is registered for GST, he must charge the tax on any shipments to Canada. This will relieve the $5.00 that Canada Post charges for collecting the GST on postal shipments over $20. As a matter of practice, Canada Post often seems not to collect the GST, even when the value for duty is stated to be $20 or more.

Max

Current Topic - US seller collecting CDN taxes  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement