THE VINTAGE HOCKEY FORUM HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT WWW.VINTAGEHOCKEYFORUM.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Which of these graded 1974 Lipton Dryden's would you like to have?

January 25 2010 at 10:17 PM
Nathanael  (Login frozencaribou)

Hi folks,

Any guesses on grades for #1 and #2? Answer correctly and win a free psa 9 topps #68 dryden league leaders card.

Answers will be posted tonight at 11pm. Thanks for the great responses.

-Nathanael

PS- And no cheating by looking at the population report.

drydens w/out grades

This message has been edited by frozencaribou on Jan 26, 2010 8:25 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rob
(Login billyberu)

74-75 Lipton Dryden's

January 25 2010, 10:56 PM 

Hi Nathanael,

I would hazzard a guess that the one on the right should have the higher grade but the the one the the left probably does?

Personally I would rather have the one on the right a I would think that size would be the most important part of a handcut card.

The one on the left si undercut and may have been trimmed to get nice corners?

Right PSA 8

left PSA 6.5 due to lower right corner which looks soft?

Rob

Bobby
(Login BobbyBHockey)
moderators

Lipton

January 25 2010, 11:00 PM 

The one on the left because the one on the right is too large.

David
(Login mapnwpa)

my guess

January 25 2010, 11:30 PM 

Well, clearly I'd want the one on the right, assuming both are authentic (which must be the case, as they are both slabbed). I'm going to go with PSA 6 on the first one, and PSA 8 (OC) on the second, because of off-centering top to bottom.

Dan
(Login danthevintageman)

Re: Which of these graded 1974 Lipton Dryden's would you like to have?

January 26 2010, 8:52 AM 

#2 PSA 9

Ray Millette
(Login raym8)

January 26 2010, 9:27 AM 

Initially, PSA did not assign numeric grades to these cards. They simply labeled them as authentic and that was it. Somewhere along the line they changed that and started assigning grades.

My guess would be the one on the left as authentic and the one on the right a 8.5 or 9

Paul
(Login shiftintermedia)

January 26 2010, 10:06 AM 

First of all both cards do NOT have any half grades assigned to them. I can tell this due to the left cards cert number and the text that was used - it was graded before the half grade system.

Second the one on the left also has no half grade as the dark line that Natan used is not large enough to cover a half graded card as the half grade is placed on a new line.

I would say that the one on the left (#1) is a PSA 7 and the one on the right is a too large like Bobby said and would probably be labeled Authentic.

Paul

This message has been edited by shiftintermedia on Jan 26, 2010 10:10 AM

Andrew
(Login orfewspearl)

January 26 2010, 10:44 AM 

I would rather have the one on the right. Looks like a soft corner on the one on the left-PSA 5. The one on the right PSA 8.

Claude
(Login Gamebits)

January 26 2010, 3:46 PM 

They are graded cards so there should be no question, isn't that why people pay big money to get their card graded, but we are not in a perfect world

I would go with one on the right personally but my guess is the one on the left is graded higher than the one on the right (that is the hint I get from the question) I wonder if they even grade them or just called them authentic.

Fred
(Login rocket9richard)

January 26 2010, 6:15 PM 

I would choose the right one. My guess for the grades is 6 for the left one and 8 for the right one. I think the left one has a soft corner at the bottom and is cut too close to the picture. If the right card is penalised for being oversize, I think it's wrong.

In the past, I've owned 1951 Laval Dairy cards that were oversize, they were sealed in 1952 holders instead and were not penalised for their size.

Jim
(Login jimrad)

January 26 2010, 6:47 PM 

#1 - 7
#2 - 8

Anonymous
(Login frozencaribou)

January 26 2010, 7:51 PM 

Wow, what a response! I was hoping for some discussion about these "hand cut" cards, and PSA is only part of the larger discussion on how to determine grading on opc box bottoms, lipton panels, or any other cards that have been cut from boxes.

I will be playing hockey tonight till 1030pm, so I will post results at 11pm.

Again, thanks for all the guesses. The second question of which do you prefer deserves more discussion...

Nathanael

Paul
(Login shiftintermedia)

January 26 2010, 8:49 PM 

I prefer the card on the right by far....

Sean
(Login HockeyAutoCollector)

January 26 2010, 9:33 PM 

I would prefer #2 as well, but I agree with Paul that it is probably just authentic. So I agree with Paul and would say #1 is a 7 and #2 is Authentic.

Anonymous
(Login frozencaribou)

January 26 2010, 10:59 PM 

Hi everyone,

Well, Paul and Sean are spot on. #1 is a PSA 7, and #2 is authentic. I prefer #2, and it's not even close. I think the borders on #1 are way too small. If I were a grader, I would say #1 is authentic and #2 is PSA 8.

I think the criteria for hand cut cards for PSA is not logical. I have a number of high grade cards that would never grade at PSA, but I still think of them as nm-mt, not as tainted or somehow unworthy.

So, since I have two PSA 9 1978 topps #68 dryden league leaders, both Sean and Paul will get them.

Thanks,

Nathanael

drydens w/grades

Paul
(Login shiftintermedia)

January 27 2010, 10:29 AM 

Natan,

I really don't think that the card on the right should have been labeled "authentic" it looks like a PSA 9 to me. Have you considered re-sending it back to PSA?

Paul

Nathanael
(Login frozencaribou)

January 27 2010, 12:52 PM 

Yes, I will probably crack it and send it back again. I wouldn't care so much but I have a Ken Dryden master set so it would be nice to get an 8 or 9. Once you are in PSA's registry, it changes your perceptions on collecting. I enjoy it, but I didn't think I'd be so competitive about it.

-Nathanael

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement