THE VINTAGE HOCKEY FORUM HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT WWW.VINTAGEHOCKEYFORUM.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

USD at par with CAD

March 12 2010 at 4:30 PM
Dan Basso  (Login tripoli99)

just rec'd a US money order, and TD bank cashed it below par....yes, the CDN dollar is worth more than the USD...

I would like to ask my American friends to ask their government to stop the spending spree (and printing presses) as it is bringing down the world's reserve currency

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rob
(Login billyberu)

US$

March 13 2010, 4:41 AM 

Dan,

You can thank your greedy bank for that! 2.5% charge. That's why I put all my US$ in a US account and rarely convert.

Giles
(Login GillesRen)

Re: USD at par with CAD

March 13 2010, 7:38 AM 

Actually, the bank gave him free money!

The highest rate this month was achieved yesterday, Friday: $0.985 USD/CAD or it takes $1.015 CAD to buy $1.00 USD

It doesn't happen often, enjoy!

Dan Basso
(Login tripoli99)

USD accounts in Canada

March 13 2010, 12:02 PM 

Rob: I used to have a US account...but to avoid the monthly fees, I used to keep $1000 minimum in it....so by holding $1000, I lose out when the FX rate goes from 1.60 to 1.00 in the past few years.....I cashed it out when the rate was about 1.15;...regardless, you are missing the point, that the US government is devaluing their own currency, by printing to excess

Jim F
(Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

March 13 2010, 12:34 PM 

Although i agree with Dan, I don't want to make this a thread about politics and economics.
I would however like to thank the US goverment for making my bids in Tuesdays Classic auction a little easier to handle.
Jim.

Dan Basso
(Login tripoli99)

3 months over the past 35 years

March 13 2010, 1:09 PM 

perhaps our dollar's value above par with the US will be short lived...I heard on the radio, that over the past 35 years, the CDN dollar has only been stronger than the USD for 3 months of that time span.

Getting back to politics.....The Chinese gov't has told Obama that the USA can't afford his health plan.....

Earl Strohmeyer
(Login strohman)

US Dollar

March 13 2010, 7:36 PM 

I find it rather ironic that Canadians, who have free health care, are complaining about the U.S. trying to get some health care relief, even though the new system won't be as good as what Canada has!

I do remember this same thing happening a few years ago, but it didn't last long. Hopefully the USD will regain some of it's strength soon!

Jim F
(Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

March 13 2010, 7:56 PM 

I don't think anyone is complaining Earl, just questioning the timing.

Gilles
(Login GillesRen)

March 14 2010, 7:47 PM 

"Getting back to politics.....The Chinese gov't has told Obama that the USA can't afford his health plan....."

Dan, what lies underneath this simple affirmation is dramatic.

China are US' bankers. When your banker tells you you can't afford spending an amount of money on something,
you're no longer free of doing what you want.

With the US $13,000,000,000,000 debt and its $108,000,000,000,000 in unfunded liabilities (Social Security, Pension, Medicare, etc), something will have to give, eventually. Each US citizen have now close to $400,000 in debt and liabilities from the government.

$121,000 billion dollars is a lot of money. Maybe too much money for the underlying economy. I expect the US dollar to get whacked
severly, and nothing will prevent this. The question is when?

BTW, who is buying all this paper?

Current Topic - USD at par with CAD  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement