June 4th-5th 2011
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Vipercards + Kijiji = Scam

August 21 2010 at 1:49 PM

Jim F  (Premier Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

Hey guys. It was only a matter of time until people started being burned on sites like kijiji and craigslist with these 1951 Parkhurst reprints. I just saw a set that someone paid a bunch of money for that had artificial corner wear(alot of it) that was meant to decieve. Most seasoned collectors will not fall for this scam as the cards are really easy to distinguish from the real ones but I know that many casual collectors and people interested in entering the hobby stumble across this site so this post is mainly for them. If someone can post a scan of a real 1951 Parkhurst and one of the reprints, I would appreciate it. Jim.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login reoddai)

Viper Scans

August 21 2010, 5:12 PM 

Here's a scan of the entire set of Vipers (reprints). There's a double in there of Ray Timgrin and I believe that these were part of Vipers "Series 2" re-release.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

If you want a close up or high res scan of any of them (front or back), please let me know and I'd be happy to oblige. I have no originals to offer as comparison. The ones I want at the quality I'd like are too expensive.

Michael
(Login DFNCMN)

Re: Vipercards + Kijiji = Scam

August 23 2010, 10:13 AM 

What is also very deceiving about the Viper set is that unlike other reprints that usually have prefect centering, these cards are miscut and off centre like the originals. As well the paper has marking and blemishes, which makes it very tough. I have had originals and unless you have them side by side, it is hard to tell. I am not a fan of card grading but with expensive cards like this, you at lease want some assurances that they are real.

Current Topic - Vipercards + Kijiji = Scam  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index