THE VINTAGE HOCKEY FORUM HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT WWW.VINTAGEHOCKEYFORUM.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

sweet caporal

December 28 2010 at 11:03 AM
tim  (Login ptbopete)

Interesting auction - Fred Taylor on ebay - non graded certainly appears to be the same one that sold in classics November auction as a PSA 1.5 for significantly less. So as a seller of a great piece of card stock except for one significant blemish it would appear once again that you are best not to pay for grading. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120661285707&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://www.classicauctions.net/Default.aspx?tabid=263&auctionid=57&lotid=415

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jim F
(Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

Re: sweet caporal

December 28 2010, 12:11 PM 

I don't think it has anything to do with grading. Many cards/sets in that category sold below expectations. That's the chance you take when getting your own category in an auction. Jim.

Fred
(Login rocket9richard)

December 28 2010, 1:40 PM 

Many of these cards and postcards sold for much lower than expected in the auction and some dealers decided to take a chance on them. Capsports will do very good on this item selling it 3X to 4X his purchase price! Most of the time, a high grade will increase the selling value of an item, but a low grade can sell for less than a raw item and this is a perfect example.

I took a chance on some lots too, like a PSA 7.5 1936-37 OPC Art Wiebe rookie that I paid for less than 1/2 the retail value. I didn't need the card, but it was a great trade item for me.

At auction, it's all a mather of offer demand and timing. Sometimes you have to overpay or let it go, sometimes you get a bargain!

Jim F
(Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

December 28 2010, 1:44 PM 

Elmar
(Login esb1922)

December 28 2010, 8:40 PM 

Jim,

Was $1,952 the final price for that 1935 graded set? I can't believe it - should have been at least $5,000

Nathanael
(Login frozencaribou)

December 28 2010, 11:58 PM 

I don't look at Classic Auctions. 19.5% buyers premium plus taxes plus shipping and handling? You are looking at a 40% premium after the final price. No thanks.

-Nathanael

Jim F
(Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

December 29 2010, 12:45 PM 

That was the final price without the premium so it was closer to $2400.

aro13
(Login aro67)

VG - no crease?

December 29 2010, 12:57 PM 

Interesting stuff.

How can the seller knowingly list that card as VG - when it came out of a PSA 1.5 holder and looked accurately graded?

Anonymous
(Login g_vezina_c55)

December 29 2010, 8:31 PM 

strange things... 2 choice

1. psa was wrong grade
2. capsport didn t know how to grade card

Rob
(Login billyberu)

VG grade

December 29 2010, 9:46 PM 

With my experience with Capsports I go with #2.

Elmar
(Login esb1922)

December 29 2010, 10:25 PM 

Yeah, choice number 2, except Sylvain perfectly knows how to grade (and sell)

And Albie, come on, don't tell me that you always trusted the Capsports grading =happy.gif
But it works - his sales are fantastic:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&hash=item1c180c73df&item=120662553567&nma=true&pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&rt=nc&si=%252FOWncHTgDbtZfZRIfwmfw1%252Bq780%253D

This card barely worth hundred fifty bucks IMHO.

Anonymous
(Login g_vezina_c55)

December 30 2010, 8:49 AM 

yep his sale is fantastic.. it is strange, his card sale alway at higher price than other ebayer... it is strange too... it is all i can tell about it, but i think about it since many time....

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement