AuthorReply

Gilles
(Login GillesRen)

Wow!

April 4 2011, 10:30 PM 

In a PSA holder...

Makes me sick, lol!

Could it be possible for a PSA certifier to make such a mistake
or is it simply a holder not having its original card?

Damir
(Login DamirTomicic)

Re: Fake PSA 9 OPC Gretzky

April 4 2011, 11:02 PM 

Is this the same card we discussed in another thread? There is a thread again on the PSA forum also about this listing.

This message has been edited by DamirTomicic on Apr 4, 2011 11:14 PM

Danny
(Login danthevintageman)

April 4 2011, 11:38 PM 

That card is a reprint put in a re-sealed capsule.
I don't think PSA would mistaken a reprint with the real deal.
Someone is really going to be hurt when the truth is told, but stupid is what stupid does!

Grant
(Login Hockeyaddiction)

April 4 2011, 11:57 PM 

What signs show its a reprint?. Im not sure what to look for on a Gretzky rc.

Gilles
(Login GillesRen)

Reprint vs real

April 5 2011, 7:21 AM 

Making a little search on this website with the words 'gretzky' and 'reprint'
will help you finding the answers.

Gilles
(Login GillesRen)

PSA holder authenticity

April 5 2011, 7:37 AM 

This PSA serial number has certainly been abused.
It is the same one as the last February OC we discussed here.
It seems more then one EBay seller is trying to sell
Gretzky fakes with that same certificate.

There must be a link between these people!

Eric W
(Login ericwag)

Fake PSA 9 OPC Gretzky

April 5 2011, 11:49 AM 

Grant -

What Gilles is referring to is that a batch of 1979 OPC Gretzky counterfeits that were circulating a few years ago had an obvious difference of missing a printing error where a white dot on the shoulder. This card appears to be missing that, too. [Only OPC: genuine Topps cards don't have the dot.]

However, I have never seen a report from a grading company about the missing dot being a definitive indication of a counterfeit. (That's not to say there isn't one, just that I haven't seen it.) There were supposedly two printings, and some believe that the second printing doesn't have the dot.

There was also a counterfeit circulating that had red and blue specs to the left of the skate as opposed to just blue specs.

All of this is quite depressing for the future of the hobby (and for the value of our genuine cards). Unfortunately, the technology used for counterfeiting is getting better and better. At the moment it's barely possible for a lay person to tell a good fake from a genuine card.

I worked for Christie's Auction House for years and years. Although we didn't deal in Sports Cards, we did see a lot of counterfeit Photographic Prints come through. A great fake is almost completely undetectable, even to a professional, but costs thousands of dollars to produce. However, the Chinese counterfeiters are getting so good at cranking these out that the prices are coming down fast.

Plus there are so many mid-range counterfeits in circulation already. I don't know if you read that FBI report from Operation Foul Ball. But one of the guys they caught in that big ring estimated that over 50% of non-card sports memorabilia (balls, bats, jerseys, helmets) on the market today is counterfeit. Cards won't be much better a decade from now.

Here are some useful resources to educate yourself about fakes and altered cards (which we haven't even discussed)...
http://www.vintagecardcollector.com/counterfeithockeycards.html
http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-spot-fake-Vintage-Baseball-cards_W0QQugidZ10000000015665910
http://www.alteredcards.com/

Regards,
Eric

Mike
(Login dockers19)

April 5 2011, 2:29 PM 

I emailed the seller about the suspicious nature of the card. He responded by saying that the "item is no longer for sale." Hmmmmm....

Anonymous
(Login JOE-2)

April 5 2011, 5:35 PM 

Mark my words the card will turn up again ..... The sellers biggest mistake was the actual auction process which enabled especially the folks on the PSA CU board to do their thing!! Once the heat dies down a bit watch for a very possible and very tempting "BUY IT NOW" price ........under a different handle no doubt.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement