June 4th-5th 2011
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

turofsky photos

June 24 2011 at 8:23 AM
  (Login kimmi65)

I'm so happy to find this forum in hopes that someone out there knows about Turofsky photos. My father passed away and among other things I have a small collection of Turofsky Photos. I have 31 single player shots and 2 group 40s stanley cup photos. All are stamped Turofsky and in amazing condition. My questions are 1) where would my father have bought these? Does anyone know- there seems to be so few of them around. 2) are they rather like bee hive/quaker photos? Any info that anyone might have about these or how collectable these are would help me out tons. Thanx in advance for anyones help. Kim PS 3 have original signatures- Vic Lynns, Sid Smith and Howie Meeker- Help anyone-I don't want to make a bad decision... Thanx!!

This message has been edited by kimmi65 on Jun 24, 2011 10:06 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login cobb65)

Re: turofsky photos

June 24 2011, 10:24 AM 

Kim,
I have a little info on Turofsky photos but i am far from an expert. Maybe others would like to chime in and help as well. Nat and Lou Turofsky were the official photographers for the Toronto Maple Leafs from the 30's to the 60's. They took photos of every Leaf player during that time as well as many of the visiting players as they could. Lots of their photos were used for the beehive photos as well as hockey cards. The most famous card would be "The winning goal" in the 1951-52 Parkhurst set. In my opinion these are nothing like beehive / quaker oats photos because they were not for sale to the general public. They were used mainly for programs, magazines and news papers. The stamp on the back is very important because that shows the photos were taken from the original negative. I have seen individual player photos sell from between $20 - $100 depending on the player. The team photos are more valuable and can go as high as $500 especially if the Stanly Cup is in the photo. I hope this helps, if anyone else would like to add anything or correct any info, that would be great especially on the pricing. I would love to see the team photos,why don't you post them on the board for everyone to see!
Mike

(Login kimmi65)

Turofsky

June 24 2011, 11:15 AM 

Thank-you thank-you. Both my Team photos have the Stanley Cup in them.I would like to move forward with selling them but I am determined not to get ripped off.All but 1 are TML and one is an unidentified detroit player.Interesting 4 pictures with cups are-Turk Broda with the Stanley cup and another trophy (square base)-Turk Broda with square based trophy only-Hap Day with 2 other players (One with the A on his sweater) and one with Syl Apps and another player with "A" on his sweater both holding ths Stanley cup. Would you have any idea where these were purchased back "in the day" ? He was at leafs games all the time and I'm sure he must have got them from somewhere in Toronto. He kept things FOREVER and never bought anything that wasn't top-notch at that time. Thanx again if u can help. PS I'm SOOO excited to find this forum!! Actually the trophy with Turk Broda is of course the Vezina trophy

(Login cobb65)

June 24 2011, 11:42 AM 

Kim,
I have no idea where he might have got them from. Most are originally purchased from magazine or news paper archives. Maybe your father knew a newspaper guy or someone who worked for a printer who made programs. I bought my collection from someone who bought them from an estate sale. The guy was suposedly in the newspaper business. If you post or e-mail me some the photos i might be able to identify the players. You photos seem to be from the 40's. Is there any writing on the backs? Some that were intended for magazines or newspapers had hand writen notes on the back.

(Login kimmi65)

Turofsky

June 24 2011, 11:59 AM 

Thanx for you response-there is nothing on the back except for the Turofsky stamp. So the general public was not able to walk into some studio ( alexandra) and purhase them? Interesting for sure!! I'm not very computer savy but I can send u the pictures thro my hotmail address... not sure how to forward them thro this sight, I'm ashamed to say sad.gif .

Bobby
(Login BobbyBHockey)
moderators

Turofsky

June 24 2011, 10:59 PM 

From 1948 to 1950 Turofsky put out 3 booklets in which you could putchase any one of their photos that was pictured in the booklet, so I would say they came from those as almost all in the hobby has.

The pricing vary quite a bit, there are no short-prints but obviously some are more desireable than others.

[linked image]

Mike T
(Login cobb65)

June 24 2011, 11:21 PM 

Bobby,
Do you know if it was just player photos available? The reason i ask is all of my photos are "in action" photos or team photos. I also have a couple of team photos from the early 30's. Would these have been available for purchase?

(Login BobbyBHockey)
moderators

action

June 25 2011, 7:44 AM 

Yes, there are action shots as well in these albums.

Anonymous
(Login kimmi65)

Turofsky

June 25 2011, 8:10 AM 

Bobby I often wondered if the photos were connected at all to that book. Now I wish I would have listened closer when I was a young girl and my father would tell me things about his hockey collection!! Thanx for the info. Bobby, I have been dragging these photos around for 13 yrs now and I think it is time for me to move forward with selling them. A few people have made offers, but i'm not sure really what I should ask for them. Like I said I have 31 in total and 2 Team shots.44-45 Team pic-no cup, and 47-48 World Champions and Stanley Cup winners with the S/C in the photo. Both are framed in excellent shape. Any Idea which individual photos would be worth more? I have been offered 15 for ea single player photo, but thought that might be a bit low. Also like I said above 3 are signed with good signatures. Do you have the Bill Barilko action shot at by the goalie? Which ones do you have. Thanx everybody for allowing me to pick your brains, even tho this is mostly a card forum. I REALLY appreciate everybodys help with this. Kim

Current Topic - turofsky photos  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index