THE VINTAGE HOCKEY FORUM HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT WWW.VINTAGEHOCKEYFORUM.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Orr RC

July 23 2011 at 1:03 PM
Rob  (Login billyberu)

1966-67 Topps #35 Bobby Orr RC BGS/BVG 9.5 Gem Mint

http://cgi.ebay.com/1966-67-Topps-35-Bobby-Orr-RC-BGS-BVG-9-5-Gem-Mint-/150636263306?pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item23129ef78a

LOL! Let's hope he doesn't take anyone to the cleaners!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dan Basso
(Login tripoli99)

disappeared from ebay already?

July 23 2011, 4:26 PM 

Eric W
(Login ericwag)

Orr RC

July 23 2011, 6:16 PM 

The listing is gone already. What was the seller's user id?

Rob
(Login billyberu)

Fake Orr

July 24 2011, 12:49 PM 

Cannot remember his handle. He blurred out the SN and it looked like the case was tampered with...I reported it so no one got ripped off.

Not sure why it was removed...may only have been removed because he only accepted bank transfers? I would hope it was removed for the obvious fraudulent part of the listed but who knows.

Rob

Eric W
(Login ericwag)

Re: Orr RC

July 27 2011, 1:58 AM 

Ok, well thanks for pointing it out. It's nice to be in a community where collectors look out for each other.

Regards,
Eric

Brad
(Login BradFromAZ)

It's baaaaaack

July 31 2011, 2:18 PM 

The Orr RC BGS 9.5 is back, ending Monday, and bidding is up to $6k. Ebay item #150638706848.

Grant
(Login Hockeyaddiction)

July 31 2011, 11:12 PM 

Whats wrong with the card?

Jim
(Login jimrad)

Link

August 1 2011, 1:56 AM 

Anonymous
(Login nightmares101)

August 1 2011, 3:34 AM 

There are a couple of things about this auction that make it very suspect.

First, the method of payment.

The buyer will have absolutely no "buyer protection." Not allowing PayPal as a means of payment is typical of scam artists on eBay--get the money and run.

Second, and the lesser of the two, the serial number has been blurred out. Why would he do this? Blurring this out certainly doesn't mean that this auction is a scam, but this combined with the very cunning method of payment ought to ring bells for bidders to stay away, unless one enjoys throwing away thousands of dollars.

Earl Strohmeyer
(Login strohman)

August 1 2011, 11:07 AM 

If you look through his feedback, he has only sold 31 items, mostly in the $4-$10 range. He has one sale over $60 and one just over $150. Everything else is under $21. Now he sells a card that is currently over $6300 with time to go!

Does BVG have a population report? Is it possible to know if a 1966 Orr 9.5 even exists?
Also, I thought that eBay required that you accept PayPal or another online payment method as a protective measure. I understand not wanting to pay the fees on a sale like this, but I wouldn't want to do it. He does take Visa/MC though, so hopefully you could have some protection there.

I'm not completely sure that this is a scam, but it is suspicious.

Brad
(Login BradFromAZ)

August 1 2011, 8:34 PM 

There is a pop report for Beckett and it says there are 4 BVG 9.5 Orr RCs. Judging by previous posts, a couple of you think the card may be a fake. I seriously doubt it's a fake card or a fake label, but Beckett is notorious for grading sheet cuts... and this card is most definitely a recent sheet cut. I've bought several cards from this set that looked mint... only to get them back from PSA as 'trimmed'. The buyer of this card will have a nice Orr RC, but it will have nowhere near the value of a PSA 10, or even a PSA 9. As for the seller accepting only a bank transfer, I think he's shooting himself in the foot because the card would certainly sell for more if he accepted Paypal (with the buyer protection) than it will as he's listed it.

Earl Strohmeyer
(Login strohman)

August 1 2011, 10:02 PM 

The auction is closed again! I wonder if eBay closed it, or if the seller did. He might have made a side deal off eBay. That will save him even more money!

Rob
(Login billyberu)

Beckett 9.5 Orr RC

August 18 2011, 9:01 AM 

Looks like the buyer got scammed. Check out his feedback! I hate to laugh but wow. If you are buying that sort of card you would think you would have a little more savy than that?

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement