THE VINTAGE HOCKEY FORUM HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT WWW.VINTAGEHOCKEYFORUM.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

What do you think is the best guide to card values now?

October 16 2011 at 10:06 AM
  (Login mapnwpa)

Is thewantList currently the best guide for vintage items? One of the older guides? Specifically, at this point I am looking for info on the current value of the 1951-52 Plante QSHL card, #92. I am considering buying a PSA 2 version of this card, to keep cost down somewhat.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jim F
(Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

Re: What do you think is the best guide to card values now?

October 16 2011, 11:05 AM 

There is only one "price guide" that reflects true market value of cards and that is VCP. All the rest are glorified checklists. It would be even better if VCP put 10% of the effort into hockey that they do baseball. Jim.

Earl Strohmeyer
(Login strohman)

VCP

October 16 2011, 11:05 PM 

It would also be great if VCP didn't cost so much! I realize that they update it every day, but it seems like a lot for just a 1 year subscription.

If you collect card, you will likely be a PSA member, which is $99 a year already. VCP seems like it would be very useful, but that's almost $200.

You are spending $300 a year just to help you collect, but we all know how much it can cost each month to collect.
I really think that VCP could become a major player in the hobby if they were more affordable.

(Login jimrad)

FYI on Plante #92 QSHL

October 17 2011, 1:58 PM 

Here is the VCP info:
Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 2 - Average Price: $210.00

2/26/10 eBay Image pastime08 cardsbrowns5 Best Offer $210.00
10/21/07 eBay Image johnchilliwack vhira 2 $144.48

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

(Login WAXDREAMS)

October 17 2011, 5:04 PM 

In my opinion all these guides are worthless when it comes to 70's and 80's stuff I cant speak for anything else. I cant tell you the amount of times any Beckett or guide has been way off with stuff I have sold or bought.
The collectors determine the prices not any "holy Bible".
I see way to many people wrapped up in what this book says or what that book says a card is worth.
Remember something is only worth what another person will pay for it.
The "going rate" is just that a reflection of current realized prices.What has the card sold for at recent auction?
These are much more accurate ways in determining the worth of a collectible.

David
(Login mapnwpa)

Thank you!

October 17 2011, 7:42 PM 

I appreciate all your feedback, and welcome more. I decided to buy VCP for one month. I had subscribed 4 years ago, and resubscribing reminded me of the pluses and minuses involved. The fact that actual sales are listed is great. The biggest problem, IMO, is that many of the cards I am looking for are VERY tough. Many are not listed. I understand that this may be because they do not come to market much if at all. I could not find ANY Bas du Fleuve cards listed at all, though. I believe some of the tougher issues are just not tracked by VCP. If this is so, it limits its usefulness for me.

Jim F
(Login hockey_jim)
Forum Owner

October 17 2011, 8:06 PM 

David. No guide can help you with tough issues.
The way price guides like Beckett determined values is by calling a handful of dealers in 1990 and asking some questions. Problem is, they never called back to follow up and vintage values remained the same forever. At best you would get a very late adjustment like Beckett raising the values of 60's-70's inserts 2 years after they shot up in real world prices. You can easily come up with values on your own for the mainstream stuff if you do a lot of buying on ebay. I personally do not need a magazine to tell me what an exmt 57 common is worth.
Since graded cards have become more and more popular with hockey collectors, I find vcp to be the only useful tool right now. I will repeat though that the effort they put into hockey data is lacking so some extra homework is sometimes needed.
As for the set that you asked about, vcp may not follow the minor league hockey issues. I know they have the Laval Dairy and maybe the junior blue tints. The one tip I will give you is to wait for an auction listing rather then a buy it now, especially on commons. I think that you will do much better that way on those types of sets.
As for the truly tough issues, the time to buy them is when you see them! Take a deep breath and pull the trigger!!

Just my 2 cents. Jim.

(Login mapnwpa)

tough issues

October 17 2011, 9:01 PM 

You are right. I spent "way too much" money on my Joe Ironstone RC, but I am glad I got it. I am not sure I will get my money back if I ever sell it, but I will get more than I thought I would, and it is supercool to have such a rare card! Same for a few other rare ones I got. As for the value of more common cards, I suppose there is a middle ground where VCP comes in handy. I am thinking of a card that is somewhat rare, but is occasionally sold. I am looking for an intact 1936 Wilf Cude card, and I think VCP will likely help me on that. Also, VCP probably has the occasional sales of the 1933 Anonymous set in its data base.

Anonymous
(Login nightmares101)

October 20 2011, 3:01 PM 

WDVCPSF?

Jim
(Login jimrad)

October 20 2011, 4:14 PM 

vintage card prices

(Login hockeymedia)

October 24 2011, 12:08 AM 

Ha... am I allowed to vote?? We have just published the 2012 Vintage Collector's Almanac & Price Guide. It is our complete checklist and price guide for all vintage hockey cards, collectibles, media publications, etc. from 1910 to 1990. It also features a section on auction results for game jerseys (last 10 years) plus sticks, etc.

.... so, check it out, on sale at Chapters, Indigo and other newsstands in Canada. Available online for those collectors in USA (visit theWantList.ca).

Seriously, though, our price guide/database is 20 years old, work including Canadian Sports & Charlton Hockey Cards... BUT we are always looking for new pricing input, so we do want everyone's feedback on how we should always adjust our price guide.

cheers
Richard

Current Topic - What do you think is the best guide to card values now?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement