June 4th-5th 2011
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Mile High auction

January 17 2012 at 6:21 PM

(Login GillesRen)

Any idea who is selling this 53' Parkhurst set?
Many beauties in there:

http://www.milehighcardco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=23965

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mike Gigliotti
(Login mikeygiggs)

Mile High Auction

January 17 2012, 7:04 PM 

Don't forget about the nice C55 set, Fred Taylor PSA 5 C56 and the 1966 Topps Bobby Orr SGC 88. Mile High Auctions usually have some nice vintage hockey items in their auctions. Mike

(Login rocket9richard)

Re: Mile High auction

January 17 2012, 7:08 PM 

Yes, Mr Teemu decided to put his Parkhurst sets ar auction.
The price must be pretty high because he bought the cards as single from the high end dealers.
I believe he was asking around 90000 US$ for the 1953 set last year!

(Login GillesRen)

Results are out.

January 28 2012, 8:34 AM 

I roughly added all the cards selling prices for the 53' Parkhurst set.

Around $55 000 including buyer's premium.

(Login GillesRen)

What do you think

February 5 2012, 2:01 AM 

about buying the complete (-1) 62' Topps set, #5 set on the PSA Registry
and selling it for its parts?

So much work and time vanished. I wonder some times, how futile is the exercice.

(Login GillesRen)

And also the 62' Parkhurst

February 6 2012, 7:26 AM 

from Mile High auction being sold in parts on EBay.

I am amazed by the silence among the participants of this forum on this issue.

The most probable future for the sets you are spending years to put together
is it will end up being sold in parts.

No comments?

David
(Login mapnwpa)

Breaking up sets

February 6 2012, 1:28 PM 

Well, I think it depends on how you look at it. The cards may be separated, but they may be bought by other set collectors, each trying to fill a different gap in their set or to upgrade a card. Or the buyer may be trying to create their own "set," such as an all-Bobby Hull set, or whatever. Each buyer is filling a gap in their collection, so I do not see this as "tragic" in any way.

Nathanael
(Login frozencaribou)

February 6 2012, 7:08 PM 

First of all, I hate the dual format auctions that allow for auction houses to have their cake and eat it too. What's next, multiple venue auctions where a seller takes his card to Mile High, eBay, and Heritage at the same time and sells the card to the highest winning price of the three? Makes me sick to my stomach.

As for the collector who put together the set, he probably didn't have the time or inclination to sell cards to his fellow 53 collectors and just wanted to get out. I know the feeling of collecting something and after a time feeling like the project is an albatross around my neck. I was building an Orr master set and I just couldn't justify spending money on "low pop" stuff like 1975 OPC assist leaders and Swedish stickers. I put a lot of time and money into it and one morning I woke up and wanted to dump it all.

I think it would have been tragic if he had a high grade raw set from 1953 that was collected exclusively in that period. There is a provenance related to sets and collections that has a greater mystique than a set collected by being a big spending hobby heavyweight with personal connections with the big dealers.

My two cents.

-Nathanael

(Login strohman)

February 6 2012, 8:01 PM 

I guess it depends on where your set ranks on the Set Registry. If it's one of the top sets, then it might stay pretty much intact.

I agree that it is a great deal of work for the average Joe to build a vintage set. It usually takes at least a few years, since most of us don't have the extra cash to buy every card we need for our set. I haven't ever finished a set in less than a few years and some sets will take many years to complete. It takes a lot of time, money and effort, but for most of us it's a labor of love. There is a great deal of satisfaction in buying the last 1-2 cards you need to complete a set and finally getting that package in the mail. Personally, I don't think that I would get nearly as much satisfaction buying a full set from an auction house and getting it in the mail, already completed.

Eventually I will sell my cards, but when that time comes, I don't think that I will really care if the sets are split up or not. Just like someone said earlier, some of my cards might become part of another set that ranks even higher than mine ever did and my cards may be sent all over the U.S. and Canada. Each card that gets shipped to another can bring happiness to him and become a part of his growing collection.

I think that would make me very happy.

Gilles
(Login GillesRen)

February 9 2012, 9:56 PM 

Good point Earl. If I use a quantitative look at the hobby of building a set,
for many of us, the fun is resides in the quest of finding each individual of
the group. Since in most of the cases, the value of a complete set is less
than the sum of its parts, the time someone spend to assemble all the parts has
no value and probably has a cost. After all, it's normal to pay to enjoy a little fun.

One thing can be said for the 62' Topps set currently changing hands:

Mile High sold it for $ 9 700, $8 100 for the original owner, $ 1 600 for the broker's fee.
The new owner sells it on EBay and I doubt
he will get more than $ 8 000 for it, $ 7 100 for him, $ 900 in EBay and Paypal fees.

Current Topic - Mile High auction  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index