June 4th-5th 2011
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Any advice for sending cards to PSA for the first time?

April 4 2012 at 11:47 PM
Anonymous  (Login SCTW)

Does anyone have any advice with regards to sending cards to PSA for the first time?

- Are there are (online) deals or promotions available?
- If you are sending in a card for crossover (from SGC) do you send the card as-is in the SGC case or do you remove it?
- Do you have to specify anything else? (i.e. I heard if a card is in really bad shape, you have to specify if you want the label to say "authentic")
- How long does it take for PSA to send the cards back?

Any other advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Brad
(Login BradFromAZ)

Hope this helps...

April 5 2012, 2:27 AM 

- Are there are (online) deals or promotions available?

Yes. Go their homepage (psacard.com) and click on 'Collector's Club Specials'.

- If you are sending in a card for crossover (from SGC) do you send the card as-is in the SGC case or do you remove it?

Leave it in the SGC holder. If you remove it, it's no longer a crossover, it's a raw card. I've also found it useful to put a small post-it on each card with the minimum grade you'll accept for the crossover. This helps, but is not essential.

- Do you have to specify anything else? (i.e. I heard if a card is in really bad shape, you have to specify if you want the label to say "authentic")

If a card is in REALLY bad shape (excessive paper loss on the front, parts missing, excessive handwriting, etc.) then yes. You will have to specify this. Again, put a small post-it on the case... If in doubt, write "If necessary, please slab 'authentic'. You also have to do this with cards you know to be trimmed or altered in any other way. PSA will NOT automatically slab altered cards.

- How long does it take for PSA to send the cards back?

Months, Perhaps years... Not really, but sometimes it seems like it. When they receive your package, it will take them 1-5 business days just to unpack it and enter it into their computer system. The approximate turnaround time will not start until this happens, so be prepared for this. And the actual turnaround times are all over the place. I've had a 45-Day submission posted in 2 business days, and a 5-Day order (submitted in the same package as the 45-Day) not completed for 13 business days. Be prepared to wait, but maybe you'll get lucky... And remember: for the most inexpensive submissions, it's 45 business days, not calendar days. That's 9 weeks.

Other points:

1. Remember you have to be a PSA member to submit cards. Join the club from their website. It's not cheap, but you do get free submissions for signing up.
2. Fill out the submission form COMPLETELY. If you forget to check a box or sign the form, your order will be delayed.
3. Use Card Savers to send them through the mail. If you have Top-Loaders, I suggest you throw them away (my opinion).
4. Don't be obsessed with PSAs 'Declared Value'... If you have a card worth about $700 and you declare a value of $450, they won't question it.... Just don't declare a value of $450 for a $10,000 card
5. Remember you have to submit standard sized cards in a completely separate order from Tall-boys and supersized cards. If there is a minimum quantity for submitting (as there is with most of the monthly specials), you have to meet the minimum with EACH category (standard, Tall-boys, etc.)
6. Just about every month they have a 'Set Registry Special' (including this month) that is a $10/ 10-Day submission. They will accept any cards (valued at a declared value of $250 or less) for this special. You do NOT have to plan on entering them into the registry to qualify them for this special; PSA doesn't care. Just write "$10/ 10-Day" on the form and you'll be fine.
7. If you have any questions about the process, call PSA at 800-325-1121.

Good luck!

Jewish-collector
(Login Jewish-collector)

Re: Any advice for sending cards to PSA for the first time?

April 5 2012, 2:29 PM 

What I suggest is that you add your card(s) in with a fellow collector's submission. That helps them to get to the minimum number of cards for the special price and 2) you don't have to pay any membership fee.

Just post a message (or answer a posting if someone is offering) at
http://forums.collectors.com/categories.cfm?catid=11

(Login SCTW)

April 5 2012, 10:11 PM 

Thank you both for the great suggestions and detailed replies!

(Login strohman)

April 5 2012, 11:34 PM 

There are a lot of steps when sending in cards for the first time. Be sure to read the instructions on the form carefully so that you don't forget anything and end up with a delay.

As for crossover grading--I always specify a minimum grade. Most of the time, SGC cards will cross over a the same grade, but every once in a while it won't. I don't want to send in a card graded SGC 88 and have it come back PSA 5.5. (PSA can be unpredictable at times.) If it doesn't meet your minimum grade, you get the card back in the SGC holder. Then you can sell it or resubmit it.

To get the best deal, check the PSA specials each month. Every once in a while there will be a great deal for multiple submissions. They usually have to be from a specific period, but last year I was able to submit about 50+ cards at $5 each. This was a much better deal than the average price.

Here is an important piece of advice that will save you a LOT of money. If you live in the U.S. get a FedEx account. Call FedEx and they will set you up for free. Then you can have your cards sent back by FedEx. This is much cheaper than having PSA send them back Registered Mail, which is about the most expensive way to ship anything. Once you have a FedEx acct, all you need to do is list your acct number on the form and PSA will package the cards for you and have FedEx pick them up and deliver them.

Good Luck!

(Login red_green17)

April 9 2012, 11:17 PM 

Thanks for the fantastic advice guys!! Planning on submitting a few to PSA in the spring here and as a rookie, this advice could not be more timely.

(Login 1954TOPPS)

PSA

June 3 2012, 9:19 PM 

Had I had got to this post sooner but I would advise against sending your cards to PSA. You will have to join their club, which costs money, to get your cards graded, you will then receive several books you never asked for, some of your cards will come back misgraded, you will then be gouged on return shipping and overall it will be a bad experience.
And turn around time to get your cards back is from the date they decide works for them, not for you.

Let us know how it turns out.

Current Topic - Any advice for sending cards to PSA for the first time?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index