THE VINTAGE HOCKEY FORUM HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT WWW.VINTAGEHOCKEYFORUM.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

What happened to Sawchuk?

May 17 2012 at 9:42 PM

(Login Hockeyaddiction)

The guide I was looking in doesnt have him listed for 1967-68 topps? Did he not have a card that year?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login vale_covo)

Re: What happened to Sawchuk?

May 17 2012, 10:44 PM 

the 67-68 Topps set was the last set to feature players from the "original 6" teams, Sawchuck had been left unprotect by the Leafs and was the first pick in the draft by the Los Angeles Kings so he is not featured in the set but has a very nice card in the 68-69 Topps set still showing him in a Kings jersey.

Anonymous
(Login JOE-2)

May 18 2012, 12:27 AM 

The Leafs used 3 goalie's in 1966-67 ~ Sawchuk played 28 games, Bower played 27 and Gamble played 23. So if the 1967-68 set(like all sets) show stats from the preceding year ~ Sawchuk SHOULD have got a card. Not sure if it was an oversight, injustice or something to what the previous poster eluded to ~ but he SHOULD be in there, simply for the marketing alone ~ how awesome would the Sawchuk look in full Leafs pose with the red background ?? I guess we'll never know because the brains at OPC/Topps thought it was better to include a Bill Orban card for example instead.

Grant
(Login Hockeyaddiction)

May 18 2012, 11:46 PM 

OMG...so he won a cup the previos year and didnt even get a freakin hockey card?. Wow this is a travesty. I wonder how many other players have been duped over the years.

(Login vale_covo)

May 19 2012, 10:40 PM 

pretty much anyone who got drafted by an expansion team had no card that year. Bobby Baun has no card since he was drafted by Oakland, same for Brit Selby, Al Arbour (they all won the cup with the Leafs in 66), even Glen Hall, Charlie Hodge they didn't get cards either. should of had a Bernie Parent rookie that year too. poor Boston lost alot of good young talent.
the draft was held in June, so i guess it was too much trouble to wait to get photos in October of the players in their new uniforms. so even though the NHL was now a 12 team league, the hockey card fan only had 6 teams of players to choose from.

Anonymous
(Login Hockeyaddiction)

May 20 2012, 1:56 AM 

They should put out a retro set for all of these forgotten players :}

Current Topic - What happened to Sawchuk?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement