THE VINTAGE HOCKEY FORUM HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT WWW.VINTAGEHOCKEYFORUM.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Is this a fake?

May 31 2012 at 6:53 PM
Anonymous  (Login nightmares101)

Gordie Howe RC up for sale, graded by one of the fly-by-night grading companies. Card looks like a reprint to me. What do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-GORDIE-HOWE-PARKHURST-ISA-8-5-NM-MT-HOF-ROOKIE-SGC-PSA-CROSSOVER-/360462925476?pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item53ed43bea4#ht_3876wt_1185

This message has been edited by nightmares101 on Jun 1, 2012 7:15 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login boysblue)

Re: Is this a fake?

May 31 2012, 9:49 PM 

i cannot tell if it is real or not, but the risk is far too great to even contemplate buying, in my opinion. 10k is a chuck of change if your gamble does not work out.

Earl Strohmeyer
(Login strohman)

May 31 2012, 10:58 PM 

Why would anyone take a card worth $10K and have it graded by some no name company? That's just leaving money on the table.

Considering that Viper put out the 1951 Parkhurst reprint set a couple of years ago, I wouldn't consider buying this card for any price.

If you scroll down the auction listing, he shows pics of 2 other Howe rookie cards and both of those look different from the one he is selling. The red in the uniform is much brighter in the other cards and the lettering is much darker and easier to read in comparison.

I'm no expert on this set, so I'm sure that there will be others who can give more informed answers.

(Login nightmares101)

May 31 2012, 11:13 PM 

My thoughts exactly, Earl, on all the points you raised.

I have the Viper reprint set, and the red in it is identical to the red in this card, considerably different from the red in the original, as brought out in the two examples he provided.

Again, as you say, why would someone get a Howe RC card like this graded by someone other than PSA or SGC?

Rob
(Login billyberu)

Reprint??

May 31 2012, 11:34 PM 

What gives it away for me is the grey color spotting within the tan borders. A dead give away! Fake 100%

Ray Millette
(Login raym8)

June 1 2012, 9:21 AM 

Just noticed that the PSA 8 Howe he is showing as a comparison is mine from my 500 goal set.

I hate when people just pull your scans without even asking sad.gif

Rob
(Login billyberu)

fake Howe RC

June 1 2012, 10:22 AM 

I just reported item. I would encourage others to do the same if they have the time. Rob

(Login nightmares101)

June 1 2012, 12:27 PM 

Ditto.

(Login SCTW)

June 1 2012, 10:15 PM 

What do you guys think of the seller's other items for sale? All fake as well or just some fakes?

Anonymous
(Login nightmares101)

June 2 2012, 8:59 AM 

Not sure. This may be a case of him sending in a reprint card just to see if ISA would grade it, and they did. Having before him the choice of doing the right thing or the wrong thing, the potential for financial gain caused him to do the wrong thing. Another example that the love of money is the root of all evil.

Current Topic - Is this a fake?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement