THE VINTAGE HOCKEY FORUM HAS MOVED. PLEASE VISIT WWW.VINTAGEHOCKEYFORUM.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Advice for Beginner

June 8 2012 at 3:12 AM
Shawn  (Login KCpensfan)

I just found this site and it seems to be a great place for vintage collectors. I am interested in starting my vintage collection and looking for any tips or advice that may be helpful. Any recommendations for any books or other websites are also appreciated. In particular I am interested in how to spot fakes and evaluate vintage cards in general. I am interested in possibly starting with the WHA sets from the mid 1970s if that info is helpful. Thank you and I appreciate any and all input.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login marcnitka)

Re: Advice for Beginner

June 8 2012, 5:39 AM 

If you'll be buying on ebay, just check to see if the seller accepts
returns. That way if you are unhappy with your purchase, you can
return your item instead of getting stuck with it.

I don't think you'll have a big problem with fakes in the WHA series.
When you get into the more expensive cards, it may be a good idea
to go with PSA or SGC.

bruce
(Login bgrin)

best advice

June 8 2012, 3:39 PM 

Back away from the cards and run. Otherwise a vast amount of time and money will disappear. WHA is a good place to start. Small enough to be done in a relatively short period time and still good availability for most items. I still remember opening 72-73 packs and feeling ripped off after spending a dime and getting WHA cards.

Books- start with Bobby's available at the top of the page

Websites- hockeydb.com I am sure is in the favorites list of many collectors

This message has been edited by bgrin on Jun 8, 2012 8:30 PM

Dan Basso
(Login tripoli99)

go for mid grade cards.....

June 8 2012, 4:41 PM 

you will be happy with PSA 5's and 6's....if certified, these mid grades will be much nicer than any raw examples you may find at your local card store or show. It will also prevent you from the craziness found chasing PSA 9's and 10's in certain years.

Earl Strohmeyer
(Login strohman)

WHA Sets

June 9 2012, 10:11 PM 

The WHA sets aren't extremely difficult. You would be smart to buy a full set if you spend that much at one time. You will save money in the long run, and once you look over the cards you can always upgrade a few cards if you aren't happy with them. That's what I tried to do and those last few cards still took me forever to find! Even if you don't buy a full set, you can find some good deals on partial sets that will help get you started in the right direction.

I like the WHA sets because they are unique since they weren't part of the NHL, but they still contain some major stars!

Good Luck!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement