The Cloud Appreciation Society Chat
The Cloud Appreciation Society

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Nacreous on the way?

January 14 2011 at 9:51 PM
No score for this post
'H'  (Login beacontrigpoint)

In his Weather Eye column, The Times, 12JAN11, Paul Simons says the warning signs have been detected in the stratosphere over the Arctic. Apparently Europe had intense easterly cold in 2/09 and 2/10 with fabulous mother-of-pearl clouds shimmering after twilight (I didnt notice them). The signs say it could happen again this year (no surprise to GWW). An example:

http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/collecting/hakon-s-amundsen/

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login imaweatherwitch)

Will keep a lookout

No score for this post
January 16 2011, 10:49 AM 

Thanks for the link. Lovely photo of naceous clouds! We'll all have to keep a lookout for these beauties in February. Just to prepare us, has anyone got hints for photographing them? I presume they need a long exposure? GWW

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Zarky
(Login Zarkov)

Re: Nacreous on the way?

No score for this post
January 16 2011, 11:18 AM 

I saw my first Noctilucent clouds over Northern Tasmania last week. Full night sky, well after sunset with streaks of luminous greenish under the stars

Nothing too spectacular... just for the record.

(Login canis_lupess)

No score for this post
January 17 2011, 1:09 PM 

As they occur just after sunset and the sky they are in is still pretty bright, you don't need a long exposure. In fact, I would slightly under-expose meaning your shutter would be on the faster side. It's easy to photograph sunsets with the camera hand held after the sun has gone down but you might need a tripod as it gets darker although resting your camera body on anything stable and still will suffice. I photographed the last main nacreous cloud we had here back in february 1996. It was a spectacular one too. I only had my 35mm camera at the time. I'd love to see another and photograph it with my current camera.

It was a very windy evening that day I remember.

Here's a rubbish scan of one of the pics I got. you can tell why I'd like to get more:P
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

(Login canis_lupess)

No score for this post
January 17 2011, 1:11 PM 

Just to add that there was quite a bit more of it further to the left of the shot. I couldn't fit the whole lot in because it was too spread around.

Current Topic - Nacreous on the way?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Home