The Cloud Appreciation Society Chat
The Cloud Appreciation Society

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Gliding above a misty Hampshire

November 23 2011 at 7:30 PM
No score for this post

(Login FlyByWire)
Moderators

Hello there. Long time no see. Hope everyone is well. Sorry I've been so quiet. Just thought I'd say hello and share a few panoramas taken at about 11AM today.

[linked image]
90 degree panorama from East to South about 1500 feet above the ground. Lasham Airfield under the wing. Flying Southwards. To the Southeast fog shrouds the South Downs.

[linked image]
Fog shrouding the South Downs, seen from near Lasham Airfield in Hampshire.

[linked image]
Mist over Southern Hampshire, with cumulus over the Isle of Wight beyond.

The last few days we've had a lot of thick fog in London and Hampshire. It was nice to get a clearance allowing us to get off the ground. I would love to have been standing on top of the South Downs too today, looking down on the fog. Awesome!

Some awesome pics posted in other threads I see. I've missed so much...

Here's to a great winter!

-Mike

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Andrew Kirk
(Login andrewkirk)

Yo...

No score for this post
November 23 2011, 8:32 PM 

Nice to hear from you, Mike. And glad to hear you are flying. Your pano results look like mine...are you using Canon's Photostitch?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
'H'
(Login beacontrigpoint)

Re: Gliding above a misty Hampshire

No score for this post
November 23 2011, 11:18 PM 

Missed yer

(Login FlyByWire)
Moderators

Re: Yo...

No score for this post
November 24 2011, 8:29 AM 

Hey there. Yes Photostitch that came with my Canon Powershot camera. It's not a bad tool if the shots are just right but does often suffer from seams and misalignments, and there is no way to tweak it. So quite difficult if attempting a panorama from a moving aircraft... These are parts of a couple of bigger panoramas but I rejected them as photostitch failed to stitch some of the pics properly at all.

I've never really investigated alternatives. If there is a better free stitcher out there then I'm all ears...

Cheers.

-Mike

'H'
(Login beacontrigpoint)

RE: IoW cumulus

No score for this post
November 25 2011, 11:43 PM 

As I recall it, the night before had been quite chill, perhaps down to 3C in the frost pockets, hence the Hampshire fog. The sea temperature around the Isle of Wight is still about 14C.

So what is causing the IoW cumulus? The warm sea?
And is it a cloud street?

(Login FlyByWire)
Moderators

RE: IoW cumulus

No score for this post
November 28 2011, 1:59 PM 

Hey there H.

It was indeed fairly cool inland. The air was fairly unstable at low level. There was also some cirrostratus damping the sun down. So where I was there was not enough energy to heat the air up enough to start convecting. So the flights I had were short non soaring flights. I winch launched to 1800 feet and then glid until I was low enough to start a circuit and land, to then be launched again. Good winter practice of takeoffs and landings.

However, at the coast where the Isle of Wight is, the relatively warm sea (at this time of year) kept things much warmer and fog free too. So the air, starting at a warmer temperature, needed much less energy to start convecting. So thermals were able to form over the Isle of Wight. It is possible it could have streeted but I am not sure from that distance. In that picture I was looking just left of directly upwind (Southwesterly breeze, IOW being just west of south). It could be that the milder unstable air coming off the sea was triggered by flowing over the Isle of Wight which was enough to allow it to break away from the boundary layer and convect. Then cooling as it goes inland to cooler ground would stabilize it again.

-Mike

Current Topic - Gliding above a misty Hampshire  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Home