The Cloud Appreciation Society Chat
The Cloud Appreciation Society

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

The sky has fallen

January 13 2012 at 11:52 PM
Score 5.0 (1 person)

(Login weatherproof)

Blue skies and glorious sunshine when we set off for the local post office with the intention of having a walk in the woods after. Very surprised to find a temperature inversion snaking it's way around the locality - one minute sunny, next minute thick fog. The diffused light effects of the sun shining through as we were emerging from each swathe of fog were beautiful. Unfortunately, the best views were places we couldn't stop the car. The second photo shows how shallow the layer of fog was. (On a historical note this is called Tarn Wadling and there used to be a lake here until it was drained in the 1940's. You can see the ruined boathouse. The lake is also mentioned in a 13th century poem about King Arthur).

[linked image]

[linked image]

and here I'm sneaking in a photo from a few days ago showing a sunset with spreading contrails

[linked image]

Anita, North Cumbria, UK

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login MikeLerch)

A Gentleness

No score for this post
January 14 2012, 12:13 AM 

Anita..First pic , very nice. There is a gentleness in the pastel colors that says Ma Nature knows whats shes doing with all this winter business. Perhaps I associate Ma Nature and Clouds too closely, but whatever, I really like that shot. Thanks for the fall.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

(Login cumulusatlanticus)

Re: The sky has fallen

No score for this post
January 14 2012, 1:07 AM 

That first photo is rather beautiful. It has an ante-deluvian feel. You half expect some long extinct creature to come lumbering through the mist and swaying fronds.....

Yours Jurassically,

Alec

http://theboltonhalotriangle.blogspot.com/

http://cumulusatlanticus.blogspot.com/

http://thecrowinstability.blogspot.com/

andrew
(Login poth)
Moderators

No score for this post
January 14 2012, 2:55 AM 

The first pic is especially good. Everything rising up above the cloud of fog, yet looking exhausted by it and drooping down as well.

(Login michellebeatle)

No score for this post
January 14 2012, 4:31 AM 

Well, I have to admit that I was impressed the first pic. Is so good! But I would like to know were do you live? Is a great place, and the history makes everything more interesting.

(Login weatherproof)

No score for this post
January 14 2012, 8:25 AM 

On the Great British Weather Show (less said the better) we were supposed to choose our favourite type of cloud. How can you do that? Yesterday I was quite certain it was a temperature inversion. Not only do you get a chance to meet the clouds in person, you can even rise above them in the right places! The sunlight diffusing through the mist gives amazing effects and colours. It will remain my favourite until the next cloud appears that is my absolute favourite happy.gif
Michelle, I live in the NW of England, a little way south of the border between Scotland and England, close to the English Lake District (mountains and lakes) and west of the Pennines - a 'spine' of hills that more or less divides the north and east of England.

Anita, North Cumbria, UK

Smithhisler, M.
(Login Noctilucy)

No score for this post
January 14 2012, 10:24 PM 

Sometimes I think fog is my favorite type of cloud. It's certainly the most accessible.I remember as a small child running to the end of our rather long yard on a foggy morning, then turning to yell, "Look Mommy! Am I in the fog? Do you see me in the fog?" It was a mystery to me that the fog seemed to be at the end of the yard until I arrived there - then it was suddenly back at the house.
CAS doesn't seem to have a separate photo gallery for fog, but I think it would be nice to have one. Anybody else?

(Login cloudlady)

Re: fog in photo gallery

No score for this post
January 15 2012, 5:23 AM 

Hi Notilucy, if you go to the CAS homepage, on the right there's the cloud gallery and if you type FOG in the search space it'll take you to the photos. That first one on this thread of Anita's is marvellous!

Smithhisler, M.
(Login Noctilucy)

No score for this post
January 15 2012, 9:33 PM 

Thanks helen. Will check them out.

'H'
(Login beacontrigpoint)

Hockney

No score for this post
January 16 2012, 11:23 PM 

David Hockney has been much in the media in the run up to his landscape show at the RA. I feel sure he would approve of Anita's first photo - he flipped up a new iPad painting not disimilar and said it was the first hint of Spring 2012.

One has to admire Hockney's drive for traditional painting, his deep observation and also his pushing the boundaries of computer and camera technology to aid him. He quotes Ruskin's
appreciation of all weathers:
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/johnruskin108460.html

If he would turn his attention from landscape to cloudscape...

Current Topic - The sky has fallen  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Home