The Cloud Appreciation Society Chat
The Cloud Appreciation Society

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Sunset riddle

March 8 2012 at 6:27 PM
No score for this post
GWW/Granny Weatherwitch, ex-UK Met.. Office  (Login imaweatherwitch)

On the Home Page, In Anthony Skellern's photo of a sunset over Macclesfield, what is the round light source behind the cloudbank 2/3 up the image? It is about the size of a full moon seen through cloud BUT if it IS the Moon, the Sun should probably be in the opposite side of the sky? Is it the Sun, in which case sunset is a few hours away and the sunlight from ABOVE the clouds is being seen shining downwards onto the far cloud banks. Or does Granny WW need new glasses? Knowing the time of the photo and the direction it was taken in would solve the riddle. GWW

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
andrew
(Login poth)
Moderators

Re: Sunset riddle

No score for this post
March 8 2012, 11:13 PM 

The homepage picture changes, so this is the one that GWW is talking about:
http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/gallery/photo-07765-5/

Definitely it's the sun behind thick cloud, with the crepuscular rays going down from it, so the sun is still "fairly" high. Though low enough, I assume, that on what was perhaps a a particularly murky day, it was late enough in the day to have created the orangeness.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

(Login MikeLerch)

depth

No score for this post
March 9 2012, 1:27 AM 

I like how " depth" is played in the picture. The near tree to the Bright Cloud to the hidden sun,,with all the various grays of clouds and atmosphere in between them makes for questioning the perspective. I would venture the idea that the shot is a tad underexposed. The bright cloud is well exposed,,but by getting that right, the rest of the shot is darker, murkier, than it really was, including the shaded sun.

So the fun is,,the placement in space, of all the clouds to make the lighting as captured, work. For example,,the bright cloud is further back, farther away than the gray band of cloud in front of the sun..?

GWW/Granny Weatherwitch
(Login imaweatherwitch)

Thanks guys!

No score for this post
March 11 2012, 7:49 PM 

Thankyou for your feedback, Andrew & Mike. I guess GWW was being a bit literal, in that she regards sunset as when the sun is actually ON or just past the horizon. Certainly the moon and sun are never in the ame part of the sky! I agree that the bird is a beautiful touch. I never seem too get a clear image of birds, but that is due to not being a photo adept! I think sunsets are my favourite skies, not least because the colour helps me make an evening weather forecast! GWW

Jari Luomanen
(Login Subhelic)

No score for this post
March 11 2012, 8:52 PM 

Actually, sometimes the moon and the sun are in the same part of the sky. A solar eclipse is the ultimate event as they overlap.

Of course, a full moon is in the opposite side of the sky. But other phases of the moon are azimuthally closer to the sun. Often the crescent or half moon can be seen in full daylight as well.

Jari

GWW/Granny Weatherwitch
(Login imaweatherwitch)

You got me!

No score for this post
March 12 2012, 12:43 PM 

You got me there! Of course the sun & moon at an eclipse are in the same direction as seen from Earth. Silly me! GWW is a bit distracted lately due to a lot of life hassles. I really should think harder before I post! (or maybe I need a new brain and not new glasses!) Does anyone know a surefire way to double a person's energy? I really hope all the trauma in mmy life goes away soon and I can get back to some peaceful cloudwatching GWW

Jari Luomanen
(Login Subhelic)

No score for this post
March 12 2012, 12:57 PM 

I hope you soon get your energy back and that everything goes in the best possible way in your life GWW. Hardship is never easy, I wish you strength and happiness.

Jari

(Login weatherproof)

No score for this post
March 12 2012, 2:49 PM 

seconded - may your clouds be light and lively

Anita, North Cumbria, UK

(Login Noctilucy)

No score for this post
March 12 2012, 3:27 PM 

Hang on, Granny! Spring is on the way. Warmer days and more sunlight (interspersed with lovely clouds, of course) will surely boost your energy levels. I have lots of pictures that I took with you in mind, always including a bit of landscape when possible so you can judge the cloud heights. Now I just need to get one of my daughters here long enough to help me get the pictures onto my laptop and into the internet.

Current Topic - Sunset riddle  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Home