The Cloud Appreciation Society Chat
The Cloud Appreciation Society

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Summer afternoon

March 11 2012 at 3:34 AM
No score for this post
Michelle  (Login michellebeatle)

The last time I was enjoying my vacation on the Costa Atlantica Argentina. The photos show a strange view of the sky that noon extremely hot. The sky was divided. For one hand, the sky was clear with little nimboestratus and stratocumulus. But, closer to the sea, giant cumulonimbus became to black cottons curtains and blended with the dark color of the ocean. Suddenly, after taking the photos, the masses of hot and cold air collide causing multi-directional winds that moved at high speed. It started to rain, but soon the heavens opened and everything returned to "normal." Believe me friends,I never saw a strange sequence or extraordinary clouds like those of that summer afternoon.

[linked image]
For one hand: nimboestratus and stratocumulus

[linked image]
Closer to the sea

[linked image]

[linked image]
The sky was divided

[linked image]
Giant cumulonimbus

[linked image]
When the sky was opening

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jari Luomanen
(Login Subhelic)

Re: Summer afternoon

No score for this post
March 11 2012, 8:27 AM 

Nice pics Michelle! As much as I like winter I am already looking forward to spring and all the related cloud action.

Jari

This message has been edited by Subhelic on Mar 11, 2012 8:27 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Michelle
(Login michellebeatle)

No score for this post
March 12 2012, 3:52 AM 

Thank you, where do you live? The srping is really preatty but I am tired of hot, I am waiting for winter!

Jari Luomanen
(Login Subhelic)

No score for this post
March 12 2012, 8:56 AM 

Hi Michelle, I live in Finland. Slowly the spring is getting closer. Last night the snow from the roof came down and now I have tons of it in front of the front door. Must do some heavy shovelling today. happy.gif

Jari

Alec Jones
(Login cumulusatlanticus)

No score for this post
March 12 2012, 9:41 AM 

Hi Michelle,

Lovely photos! In the fifth image of the cumulonimbus, there is a beautiful turquoise/aquamarine tint to the blue sky you only get when you are close to the sea, probably due to reflection. This is something I always notice when I visit the seaside and is absent inland.

@Jari You guys probably get more snow in one fall than the UK does all year. It always makes me laugh that when we get a few flakes the whole country is unable to cope and grinds to a halt! A few days in Scandanavia would probably improve our perspective!

Best,

Alec

http://theboltonhalotriangle.blogspot.com/

http://cumulusatlanticus.blogspot.com/

http://thecrowinstability.blogspot.com/

Jari Luomanen
(Login Subhelic)

No score for this post
March 12 2012, 9:50 AM 

I thought I'd snap a picture:

[linked image]

Loads of ice and heavy snow that has been packed all winter always comes down in March. Makes for a thorough workout to shovel it away. happy.gif

This spring there have been three casualties and several injuries from ice falling from the roof. sad.gif It is a problem in the cities with high rise buildings. The falling ice gains huge momentum on its way down.

Jari

Anita E
(Login weatherproof)

No score for this post
March 12 2012, 10:36 AM 

Fantastic description and photos Michelle, thank you.

re UK snow - in our defense, we never know what to prepare for. You could easily spend a fortune buying gear for a harsh winter, then never use it.

Shorts or snow shovels - anyone's guess!

Anita, North Cumbria, UK

'H'
(Login beacontrigpoint)

No score for this post
March 13 2012, 12:32 AM 

Some heap powerful stuff you captured there, Michelle. The first looks arcus like. The Cu nim seems determined to head ever on upwards. Wonderful.

Michelle
(Login michellebeatle)

No score for this post
March 13 2012, 1:48 AM 

Thanks colleagues, you are so flattering. Certainly H, Cu Nim never seem to want to come off and that gave me the goosebumps!
Alec, you've been in Scandinavia? Amazing! I guess I must be satisfied as much ice. And Jari, I am saddened by the deaths. I hope that now, in the early arrival of spring everything goes better. Optimism! And I concluded by saying that I have never seen so much snow, because snow is unusual Argntina to large accumulations of snow. Imagine that we are now at 40 degrees Celsius
It's so awesome nature at each end of the world, earth sky, from continent to continent.

Jari Luomanen
(Login Subhelic)

No score for this post
March 13 2012, 7:08 AM 

Yes, the variety of climates on this planet is staggering and beautiful. From the poles to equator there is so much to see and to appreciate. While my heart is in the polar regions and I would love to explore the Canadian arctic (in the tracks of Franklin, Parry, Hall and numerous other early explorers), Antractic (Amundsen, Scott, Shackleton), Franz Josef land (Nansen), Greenland (Wegener) and other such places I would also love to see more temperate regions and the related weather phenomena. Not sure how I would cope with the heat in, say, any place close to the equator though.

Jari

This message has been edited by Subhelic on Mar 13, 2012 7:09 AM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Home