The Cloud Appreciation Society Chat
The Cloud Appreciation Society

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Global weirding

March 27 2012 at 11:29 PM
No score for this post
'H'  (Login beacontrigpoint)

I would imagine most who read this would find this link to the BBC's Horizon of interest - if only to scroll down the list of contributors, which gives you the gist, or watch a few clips.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01f893x

Googling will give you a review from the Daily Telegraph (a missed opportunity it says).

But the title seems to me to be relevant, honing in on the more extreme climate coming our way without trying to explain global warming.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
'H'
(Login beacontrigpoint)

Re: Global weirding

No score for this post
April 4 2012, 11:17 PM 

I was surprised when Jari, living around 61 degrees north, said the climate of Finland would be much more arctic without the Gulf Stream - insular Brit I suppose.

In the subject program a researcher from the Met Office Hadley Centre explained that the result of global warming for the UK would be counterintuitive. The melting of the Arctic ice would send the Gulf Stream farther north leaving the UK exposed to colder easterly winds.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Graham Davis
(Login Cloddy)

No score for this post
April 5 2012, 7:00 PM 

"H", your comment that "the melting of the Arctic ice would send the Gulf Stream farther north leaving the UK exposed to colder easterly winds" led me, against my better judgment, to watch this program. I confess that I'm no longer a fan of Horizon as it was taken over years ago by arty-farty directors and scriptwriters. Last week, I spent 75 minutes in the dentist's chair having root-canal work and I'm not at all sure whether watching Horizon for 60 minutes is preferable to that.

In the first five minutes, we heard of the hurricane scientist who'd "turned in his white coat for a blue jumpsuit." Aargh! If it wasn't for finding out about this weird Gulf Stream movement, I would have switched off there and then.

Anyway, buried under the sometimes nauseous commentary, portentous music, and jittery camera tricks, were the occasional interesting nuggets of information. However, I'm sorry to say that the movement north of the Gulf Stream wasn't one of them - it was the change in position of the Jet Stream.

It has long been expected that the fact that AGW would cause the Arctic to warm faster than the Tropics and this would have the effect of slowing the Jet Stream and producing more blocking patterns, but one couldn't be sure what effect this would have because the local weather depends on the location of the block. More blocks mean more hot spells and more cold spells but doesn't tell us which.

'H'
(Login beacontrigpoint)

No score for this post
April 6 2012, 11:07 PM 

Graham, I apologise for my mistake and causing you such travail - however I believe it is incumbent on contributors, we owe it to the CAS, to point out errors and keep standards as high as we can.

A lesson that can be learned is not to trust fickle memory when something (like 'stream') clicks, without double checking or at least thinking carefully; if I had thought I would have realised I had seen a very similar chart to the Hadley one, on the national TV weather forecast quite recently explainng the jet stream influence.

The subject program has a section on the W.Texas drought around Lubbock. I thought Andrew's 'Tornado' post recently, a video of huge trucks flying around Dallas/Fort Worth, came under the 'weirding' heading. So might 11 minutes of lightning striking the same area of Albuquerque:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2125091/It-does-strike-twice-Tour-guide-captures-amazing-images-lightning-bolts-hitting-spot-over-again.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

But Googling 'Lubbock drought' does not suggest a recent change:
http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/2012-03-14/drought-conditions-expected-linger

I must stop before I get into conspiracy theory or suggest a ley line DFW>Lubbock>Albuquerque>Phoenix

This message has been edited by beacontrigpoint on Apr 6, 2012 11:15 PM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Home