The Cloud Appreciation Society Chat
The Cloud Appreciation Society

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Blue & White

June 17 2012 at 5:03 PM
No score for this post
MikeLerch  (Login MikeLerch)

I was asked if I still shoot in color. Yes, but it is still somewhat of an exercise in monochromatic expression. Instead of grays , it is in ranges of blues. Below are some recent shots in blue and white.

Blue Beads
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

At The Car Wash

Seeping Weepage

Cloud Ibex

Lenticular Over Superstitions

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Anita E
(Login weatherproof)

Re: Blue & White

No score for this post
June 18 2012, 6:42 PM 

So many wonderful shades of blue. I think it goes to show though that colour does somewhat detract from the clever cloud shape interpretations that come through in your b/w shots.
The exception is the last view with the mountains which I think is probably better in colour, though I may have to see a b/w version to confirm that.

Anita, North Cumbria, UK

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Alec Jones
(Login cumulusatlanticus)

Re: Blue & White

No score for this post
June 18 2012, 11:47 PM 

Those are beautiful, Mike. Isolated, I can appreciate them for what they are, but I do wonder if you placed the B&W version side by side whether I'd prefer those instead. Probably!

Best,

Alec

MikeLerch
(Login MikeLerch)

Choices

No score for this post
June 19 2012, 4:22 AM 

I thank you both, Anita and Alec, on posing the the question of Black and white or Blue and white. Its a wonderful but tricky stroll thru the .." What Am I Trying to Communicate With This Picture?" supposition in answering. Below are a few Black and White versions I have of some of the pics above. Perhaps the below strikes the same sensibilities as the above. Maybe not. Its a strange walk when going thru the...reality as is, being weird and wonderful( blue and white)...and the ..making reality weird and wonderful thru graphic tools like a camera and "processings." ( black and white)or as Anita puts it , interpretative . Tho not exact, the two versions are close enough so that perhaps the viewer may even get two completely different " reads" of the same clouds only different in blue or gray. Then again maybe not. Preference is personal. I like playing in the Black and White interpretative realm, but when witnessing something that really captures me,,I always make sure I get color shots of it.

On an aside, in the very latest National Geographic Magazine, there is a spred in Black and White of some nasty weather of the mid-plains of USA. The photographer was asked why he chose black and white. He answered that color was ..just so everyday. So, Black and white takes the subject out of the mundane. More than once I had it said to me that Black and white is all about eliciting emotional response.

So. it gets abit tangled when with clouds. We see things in them, ranging from single objects like birds and dogs to impressionistic realms of fantasy to abstractions , to dreamscapes surreal..or just wonderfully beautiful objective renditions of mother nature's finest. There is the "clouds"..then there is " Landscape Photography"..I put forth the perception that Landscape and Cloud photography are two different realms, and at least for my personal enjoyment, am having fun defining " Cloud" photography. Cloud photography is like having a nude model who takes no direction from the photographer...free , only beheld by the wind and physics that created the cloud.

Finally ( YEAA!!) I offer the last two photos,,taken only a few seconds apart, the time to switch the camera from B&W to color. IMHO,,the color works best for me. WHY?..Because as color, its a presentation in realism but the subject is about ..a slit or break in what is viewed as reality. The B&W version already makes that supposition by being B&W, so the message is redundant. The color version is more shocking because it is real...everyday. The difference may be subtle, but..one is " everyday as is, is
special",,and the other "..everyday can be made special".I'm okay with either or any other, but I favor the idea that ..as is, everyday has the potential to be ..not mundane. Anyway, pictures may say it better than words. Have fun!

This message has been edited by MikeLerch on Jun 19, 2012 11:38 PM

MikeLerch
(Login MikeLerch)

Other Colors Two

No score for this post
June 24 2012, 2:21 AM 

..and another Blue and White that could have been Black and White.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Home