~ Return to 'Son Of Xweb' here ~

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to > X1/99  

HEY FIAT!!! Look at the independent STRATOS prototype!

February 28 2005 at 2:33 AM
Mac 

This is sure to set the Geneva show and the whole I-car and Rally world on it's collective ear!
Due to also be unveiled at the Geneva show March 1st is the mind boggling "2005 Lancia Stratos" concept which has had ZERO involvement from Fiat / Lancia, and has been created as the result of "one man's dream", that man being Christian Hrabalek, aka "the biggest Stratos nut on Earth"

FIAT, TAKE THIS AS AN EXAMPLE OF A MODERNIZATION THAT IS ALL NEW YET CLEARLY REFLECTS ITS LINEAGE

http //www.italiaspeed.com/2005/motor_show/geneva/preview/holistic/2802/2802.htm

YOU CAN BET THERE WOULD BE NO FRONT ENGINE IN THAT!

This message has been edited by fiatx19 on Mar 2, 2005 8:34 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
lonnie

and what person said 70s gandini lines cannot be updated???????

February 28 2005, 4:04 AM 

just look at that thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

dont worry tho it will never be produced if fiat cant afford a mid engine for the x199 there will never be one of these things

Respond to this message   
DougESmith

Sorry Fiat, my X/whatever fund is now my 2005 Stratos Fund. <nt>

February 28 2005, 4:32 AM 

fcqsc

Respond to this message   
Myron Samila in Toronto

sweet... did you ever see the Stola version?

February 28 2005, 5:49 PM 

This is total inspiration!! wow...

I like that Fenomenon car, looks sweet.. more true to the original's lines.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/myronx19
Myron Samila
Toronto, Canada
1978 Fiat X1/9 1500cc/4spd/daily driver
1982 Fiat X1/9 1500cc FI/Faza 35/75/weekender
1982 Fiat X1/9 1500cc dual 45/DCOE GT race car
1987 Volvo 760 GLE daily&winter beater
1987 Alfa Romeo Milano (Gold) sold,

Respond to this message   
Mac

The truly ironic part is, the Stola was penned by Gandini himself !!

February 28 2005, 6:25 PM 

I LIKE THEM BOTH, I WOULD LOVE EITHER ONE.

If I had to pick a favorite I would pull my hair out, it would be a tie.

I think the Fenomenon version just edges the Stola out in "sheer shock style" because of, if nothing else, those DOORS that are hinged in the center of the windshield - THAT IS TRULY BADASS!!!

But, then, I look at the Stola, and think, GANDINI, THE MAN HIMSELF, CREATED THAT ONE. "Conventional" doors or not, it would be hard for anyone to beat the master himself in my humble opinion....

SO yes I think it's a tie. Perhaps if a real Stratos evolution were ever to be produced, the wise thing to do would be to put Gandini and Hrabalek IN A ROOM TOGETHER (!) and let them combine their ideas for the best of both minds

But right now, we have bigger (Smaller) fish to fry, the X1/99!

Peace, -Mac

Respond to this message   
Mac

Well, HERE WE GO GENEVA! Check these out

February 28 2005, 11:48 PM 

It actually looks a little weirder around the fenders than in the renderings (maybe those contrasting colors are not helping my eye judge either) still a total knockout car!!

It's a fully functional prototype, drivable, Ferrari powered, look...

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2005/motor_show/geneva/preview/holistic/gallery/gallery.html

Pretty cool!!!!! -Mac

Respond to this message   
Mac

and more from CDN, plus ...

March 1 2005, 12:05 AM 

... here I thought Hrabi designed it, apparently NOT, he ran a contest and a "MYSTERY DESIGNER" was selected, as of the moment it is not yet revealed who actually penned the 05 Stratos - a mystery I'm sure in part because they say the 'culprit' happens to currently be an employed automotive designer! Maybe the mystery person doesn't want his or her employer to know what he or she has been doing on the side! It's bound to come out eventually. Check these out:

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2005/geneva/preview/fenomenon-stratos/index.html

http://www.fenomenon.com

Peace, -Mac

Respond to this message   
Alex Shepherd

Oh my

March 1 2005, 4:18 AM 

...see, the Italians can still create great style! That's a beautiful yet entirely contemporary shape in my eyes.

Funnily enough it reminds me of the Murcielago, but slightly different! I bet no-one's complaining about the style of the Murcielago and do you think it needs a 'facelift'? Hell no!

-Alex

Respond to this message   
Mac

- Except, we don't KNOW who created it (yet)

March 1 2005, 1:41 PM 

... it may have not been an Italian at all!

The design firm responsible for the project is in LONDON, and the "mystery designer" who penned the new lines is as yet unrevealed...

It looks a bit more like a "toy car" than the original did, something about the fatter edgework and that green/white color scheme is making me think it looks like some sort of toy, and a huge hand should be descending from the sky any moment to grab it by the sides and roll it forward...

... but even still, it is a remarkably attractive modernization of the "untouchable" Gandini original! No doubt about it.

Peace, -Mac

Respond to this message   
Mark in Syracuse

Interesting...looks like they used an Axis Gantry to mill...

March 1 2005, 5:47 AM 

Great Pictures

When I look at the raw photo's it is obvious that there was milling on the car body. All programmed in to get the car perfect. There appears to be an Axis Gantry in the background of one of the pictures. A company called Henri Line (pronounced "Onry Linay") near Montreal in Granby makes those machines and typically they are sold to companies like Boeing who uses them to mill aircraft parts and components. The milling table can be any length and can mill in all directions (sphereical).

I find these things very interesting. I love to know how things are fabricated.

Respond to this message   
Mac

the CDN article says "milled"...

March 1 2005, 1:44 PM 

===

"The engine is an inline V8, with 425ps, while the body uses carbonfibre on an aluminium and carbonfibre chassis. The model was milled and constructed by the French prototype company D3, using normal show car methods based on Alias surface data. According to Hrabalek, funding for the Stratos project was raised by a group of investors, many of them enthusiasts and owners of examples of the original car."

===

Peace, -Mac

Respond to this message   
Chris Prince

yer' absolutely right Mark...

March 4 2005, 11:53 PM 

went to the LINE SITE..AND LO AND BEHOLD IN THE AUTOMOTIVE APPLICATIONS OF THEIR MACHINERY WAS THE TA-DA STRATOS PROTOTYPE..GOOD CALL!! FUNNY THING I HAVE A GIRLFRIEND FROM FRANCE THAT KNOW LIVES IN GRANBY..HMM..SMALL WORLD..CHEERS

Respond to this message   
Mac

a couple more pics of the Stola

March 1 2005, 5:09 PM 

Respond to this message   
BladeLawless

Mac THAT is one badass piece of machinery

March 3 2005, 2:11 AM 

now THAT is how a car SHOULD be resurrected... I can not say one bad thing out this car. The gull-wing doors that hinge in the middle are outstanding... Imagine if this guy chose the X1/9 instead... who knows... I can only dream.

BladeLawless -frontman of the Muthurlode http://unsignedbandweb.com/music/Muthurlode or
http://garageband.com/artist/Muthurlode
79 X1/9 never ending resto-mod
and proud owner of red, white and blue paneled 79 parts car.

Respond to this message   
Mac

Yes but the primary difference between...

March 3 2005, 1:41 PM 

... a global enthusiast community for the Lancia Stratos and the global enthusiast community for the X1/9 is that the Stratos guys have the BANKROLL that they are able to

A: BUY the RIGHTS (!!) to the "Stratos" name away from FIAT!!
B: Launch a DESIGN FIRM (!!) to create the car!!
C: Get ENTHUSIASTS to PAY OUT OF POCKET for doing it!!
D: Get their car on a stand AT GENEVA - WITH THE ORIGINAL 1970 PROTOTYPE!!

We as a group of enthusiasts

A: Are fortunate to own the CARS let alone the RIGHTS!!
B: Posting hacked up Photoshop images of the IED Concept on a net forum!!
C: Doing ALL THAT YOU SEE HERE on a ZERO budget and a lot of volunteer sweat!!
D: WATCHING the IED car on a stand at Geneva, wishing it was what we desire!!

As you can see, we have it a lot tougher. If we as a group could buy the rights to the X1/9 name, launch an international design firm, and get a bunch of us to pay to hire our own professional designer and prototype house to construct a prototype of our own design then display it to the world like that, we would probably be a lot more likely to get what we want!!

For us, all we can do is BANG THIS DRUM, MAKE AS MUCH NOISE AS WE CAN, and hope that the Fiat Brass will take us into consideration instead of deciding to just crank out a front-engined marketing department "successor" in name only...

It's not impossible that they would listen, nothing is impossible, and I've been told they WILL hear us, but certainly having the MONEY of the Stratos guys would certainly be helpful !!!

Peace, -Mac

Respond to this message   

ash simmonds (adelaide, australia)

that's it!

March 3 2005, 3:44 PM 

i'm taking away your exclamation-point key!!!!11!!!!!1!!!1

Respond to this message   
Mac

Hay this stuf is impotent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 3 2005, 5:01 PM 

Respond to this message   

impotent hay? ah, someone's overcompensating for something... <nt>

March 3 2005, 6:07 PM 

Respond to this message   

the original is still clearly superior in style

March 4 2005, 1:30 AM 

the new one has a wow factor, but spend much time looking at it and it has a real futuristic-cheese factor to it.  the original, still jaw-droppingly sexy.

Respond to this message   
Mac

After a few days looking at it I agree, unfortunately :(

March 4 2005, 3:58 AM 

When I first saw the "sneak preview" posted at the very start of this thread, I was really overwhelmed with excitement at what I saw!!

Of course, what I saw was a deliberately shadowy video 3D rendering that lasted a few seconds. Then the real pictures came out. It looked significantly more impressive in the rendered video.

I do think the color scheme has a lot to do with why I don't like it as much in reality, it would be far more attractive steel grey metallic than it is "tonka truck green with white wheels". It just looks very plastic, like a giant toy car that some huge kid is going to pick up and play with.

I do still like it, but I agree it can not touch the original. I think the center hinged doors are extremely cool regardless of all else, but in honesty I would like the car more if it A: did not have that hideous front bumper/spoiler thing frowning out from its chin, B: was a little less "chunky" the Stratos should be sleek as a rippling muscle like Bruce Lee, not chunky and rotund like Tom Arnold.

Oh well, I will give it one thing, AT LEAST, when you look at it, you CAN STILL CLEARLY SEE IT IS A STRATOS EVOLUTION. That's the single most critical element of any "update" in my book.

Peace, -Mac

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to > X1/99  

Xweb 'Calling All Cars' Bulletins:
Be sure to add yourself to Xweb's Registry and User Map
Xweb BUG REPORT/Q&A can help you get around!
Want Xweb's latest threads on your site? Click
Special section: X1/99 Concept forum

Xweb Forums Contacts:
Forums Moderator: Mark F mfreemanis AT hotmail.com
Forums Moderator: Gregory S gfs AT scattercreek.com
Forums Moderator: Eric A fastx19 AT yahoo.com
Site Maintenance: Mac seattlex19 AT fastmail.fm
User Registry: Mark H markyharris AT gmail.com
User Map: Andrew rooy AT new.rr.com

XANA Homepage:
x19web.org

LEGAL NOTICE: All comments, suggestions, ideas, sketches, renderings, images and any other information or intellectual property posted by users, on any page where this message appears, are being offered entirely free of charge or legal obligation to Fiat S.p.A. for potential consideration or unrestricted present or future use, with no expectation or obligation for compensation, unless that specific item is directly accompanied by a statement to the contrary. By posting to this web page, you accept this agreement.