News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Look at Buffalo News for historical reports on McKinley assassination

September 10 2001 at 2:27 PM
Ken Akerman  (no login)

Response to Alaska Renews Fight to Change McKinley Name to Denali

Oops, I misspelled a word on the message title for my previous response. I haven't heard of the 100th anniversary of McKinley's assassination in any national media, but I thought that it would be covered locally in the Buffalo area. Sure enough, I found this article on the Buffalo News website:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20010906/1046767.asp

From the article, I you can learn about some of the remarkable ways that things have changed in the past 100 years. The assassin, Leon Czolgosz, was put on trial only 9 days after McKinley died, and it took only 34 minutes for the jury to convict him. Czolgosz was executed on Oct. 26, only 50 days after he fired the fatal shots at McKinley.

Also, did you know that Buffalo was the 8th largest city in the USA in 1901? Did the assassination of a US President in that year help lead to a decline in the city's population and influence?

Ken Akerman

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Mountain RangesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions