News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Rename Humphreys

December 6 2001 at 2:05 PM
Jeffrey Cook  (no login)

Response to Ken, Change an Arizona Mt Name

I suggest renaming it Mount McKinley. That's the only way I'm likely to ever say that I climbed McKinley! Are there any other mountains we can rename McKinley?

By the way, those of us in AZ know there has been a lot of jabbering from certain groups and individuals to rename dozens of mountains and other features in AZ. Most of the hubub has centered around the use of the word "squaw", e.g. Squaw Peak. The claim is that squaw is a derogatory term, a claim which as far as I've heard is completely baseless.

These arguments and the debate over Alaska's McKinley (not to be confused with AZ's new Mt. McKinley) all strike me as little more than intolerance for one culture in the name of tolerance for another. Surely those who advocate changing the names of Mt. Mckinley and Squaw Peak will agree to changing the names of other mountains to something the rest of us are more comfortable with.

It all seems very petty to me--what's in a name, after all? Let's change the name of McKinley to Potato Peak for all I care. It doesn't make it less tall or less beautiful, or make climbing it any easier.

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Mountain RangesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions