News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Clairification

January 30 2002 at 6:52 PM
Jack  (no login)

Response to Boots for Glaciated Peaks

I have done similar altitude (Elbert & Humphries amoung others), but plan to get some Glacier training before I attempt Rainier or Hood.

I have some very old but servicable leather Reichle Colorados which have a sturdy sole that can not be deflected more than about an inch. I could use tall gators over these. Or I could buy some "backpacking and light mountaineering" Gortex boots from LLBean (on sale for $119) or I could just rent.

I'm disinclined to rent for the reason that I want to train in the same boots/crampons that I'll use for the actual climb.

I don't quite get the step-in vs. strap-on crampon option. Which is better?

Oh, and I don't plan to do any technical ice work or any ice/snow grades steeper than needed to get up Rainier. Do I still want front point crampons?

10, 12 or how many points?
[Are they like deer, the more points the better? :-))]

If I buy these crampons locally, what questions will I need to answer before making the correct choice (other than step/strap and having the boots on I'll be wearing on the ice).

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions