News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Question on Record

July 7 2002 at 12:36 AM
Mark S  (no login)

Response to Outside Mag: Kreizer Eyeing Catskill 3500 Record

This may seem like nitpicking but I have serious questions as to whether Keizer downclimbed Whiteface Mountain, his 46th peak. I think it's great that he was able to accomplish an incredibly difficult task in such a short time, but if we're talking about established records here, I think this is an issue that needs to be scrutinized. As those familiar with the Adirondack 46 know, Whiteface is the one Peak in the Dacks that has a summit road. It is also the peak that Keizer chose to finish on, doing so as 10:29 PM in rain and fog. According to his own rules that he lists on www.thecavedog.com , the clock on his record run started at the base of the first mountain and ended on top of the 46th. It is in the tradition of the 46Rs to recognize one as a 46R the moment you tag the 46th peak. But you are also required to downclimb for the hike to be official. If Cave Dog car-camped overnight and hiked out in the morning, then the record is good from my point of view. But if it turns out he hitched a ride down and let the partying begin upon touching the peak of Whiteface, I think the record is bogus. I also think the 46Rs would back me up on this.

If in fact he didn't downclimb Whiteface, his accomplishment is no less extraordinary. It's just not a record.

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions